Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Livmack5

derm tomorrow!....any advice?

Hello :)

I'm a 14 year old girl, and i've had acne for about 3-4 years. I've tried a LOT of things in hopes of clear skin; Duac, Differin 0.1 & 0.3, Retin-a, proactiv, and the pill Doryx. Nothing has seemed to work for me, and i'm starting to break out on my chest, neck, and back in addition to my face. I don't think i have severe acne, but my mom and two brothers have both had severe acne and accutane has worked on all three of them. I'm verrrrrrry jealous and i'm seeing the dermatologist tomorrow in hopes of getting prescribed for accutane. I'm excited & nervous at the same time because i don't know if my derm will prescribe it for me. If she does, any advice?

Thanks for reading & good luck on your journey! :)

Even before your appointment you need to write down all the medications you have ever taken/used/tried and for how long you've tried each one. Then also write down all the questions you have for the dermatologist. Write down your family history of acne as heredity does play a role in acne.

I don't think persons as young as you should be trying Accutane. It could affect your future growth. Accutane does prematurely close the epiphyseal growth plates on the long bones and that can stunt someone's growth. At your age it is also entirely possible that you will outgrow acne; it is an even stronger possibility if both your mom and brothers stopped breaking out in their twenties.

Thanks for the advice Wynne. :)

My mom started accutane when she was 22. My brothers when they were 14 and 16, and we inherited the acne from our mom. I personally don't want to wait until i grow out of it, because of family history and because i'm only a freshman it will only get worse in my case. High school is a drag and acne lowers my confidence even more. I hate covering my face in makup in the morning in order to cover my acne and to try to feel comfortable, which never works. I also don't want to grow up with the acne leaving scars on my face. I've been seeing my derm for a few years now, and I'm pretty sure she'll understand. I appreciate your advice, however. Thank you for responding :)

I wouldn't risk height for something that I'd be likely to grow out of. ;) I'm 5'7" myself and kind of like being taller than the average woman. I almost always wear platform shoes so I'm at least 5'9" and positively tower. Like it greatly. :)

I'm also 5'7! :)

I think you do whatever your doctor and parents think is right for you. A doctor is not going to prescribe you accutane if you are at risk for your growth plates to fuse prematurely. Bone age scans can certainly determine that and it's unlikely that you bones would grow so drastictically in four months. At fourteen, depending on your bone age, you could have six months left of growth or three years. It's very individual. Also, it sounds like your family history is pretty significant and in my opinion, waiting for scarring as a result of acne to occur can also have a life long effects on a young girl.

A licensed doctor will not give you accutane if he/she thinks you have acne that you will grow out of. My son started on tetracycline first for three months and it was not effective. He went on accutane successfully close to your age. His father and grandfather were not treated as teens and have severe acne scarring that has definitely impacted their adults lives. I didn't want my son to go through that. I also struggle with cystic acne so my son had two strikes against him.

Good luck to you, whatever decision is made by your parents, doctor and yourself. Remember, accutane is not always an easy go and though your family was successful on it, it can have some serious side effects. Do as much research as you can and keep us posted.

Thanks for your advice, CDN MOM08 :)

I got prescribed and I still have to wait to get my second pregnancy test (blood test), and then see my by dermatologist again so i can get the actual prescription. I'm ecstatic, and hoping for the best.

good luck!