Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
w0nd3rfuLLife

Weaning myself OFF of products!

After reading some logs of people who have stopped using products on their face (whether they just use water or nothing at all) I have decided I am going to try this. Right now I use a whole host of items -- 10% Benzoyl, exfoliator, oil control cleanser, toners, moisturizers, spot treatments -- that I use on a daily basis, several times a day!

Yet even with all of these treatments, I still get pimples and blemishes all the time! Plus, on top of that, I have SEVERELY oily (T-Zone) SEVERELY dry (everywhere else) skin on my face!! Needless to say, things are a mess...I know something needs to change.

I look at my younger brother who is 16 and has perfectly clear (and healthy!) skin. What does he do to it?? Nothing! No products at all! Same for my parents, and my boyfriend, and none of them have acne problems at all! They have completely clear, smooth, toned skin -- just the kind I'm looking for!

I also looked at some of my good friends. They are all around my age and have clear skin --- and don't use any of the products like I use! The message I learned from all this -- The less products the better.

So starting today, I am going to work my way off of all of these products. I think I'm going to get rid of them one at a time, doing it slowly and gradually. I figure the benzoyl should be the first to go! What do you guys think?

And one problem that I'm always going to encounter is that I wear make-up. Not on my face (like no powder, foundation, etc) but just eye makeup. Eyeliner, eyeshadow and mascara. However I need to make sure I wash this off at night because I am very prone to eye infections. I think ideally I'll make it down to using nothing but a cleanser and a moisturizer, and this will work to take off my makeup and clear up my skin.

Nobody in my family has had severe acne (like my brother for example). What happened to me was when I turned 13 or 14 I started wearing LOTS of makeup (stupid I know)...therefore clogging my pores and giving me break outs. I then started using the products...eventually i realized the make-up was making it worse, so I stopped that -- but continued using products that further irritated my skin. I feel so stupid because I feel like I have completely messed up my skin with all this crap I have been doing to it for the last 4-5 years! I look at my brother who never wore cosmetics, never used products, and he's fine. So I think that he has the right idea! Hopefully this will help heal my skin back to the way it was before...hopefully the damage is un-doable :confused:

This morning I used all my products, but tonight I am just going to use my cleanser, toner, moisturizer, and spot treatment, and see how that goes. I'm worried I'll have some initial break outs, but I feel like with less products they will heal faster with less irritation/red marks!

Tomorrow I'll try to post again. :)

oh god i know how you feel....everyone in my family but me and my sis have clear and flawless skin every since they were young till their adulthood...yes i know and i get embarrassed to stand next to my boyfriend who was nicer skin than mine...but dont worry ok?acne can be cured...i dont know but maybe this will help...eat lots of vegetables,fruits,green tea,and vitamins good for the skin(cod liver oil) contains vitamin a d and e...cut down on oily,junk and fast food...not only that but full cream dairy products too....im 16 your brothers age and has acne i started getting zits and pimples when i was 12 ...and as a teenager its horrible...i hardly go out cause everytime i do people will promote their crappy products to me in front of large crowds which is really more embarrassing..and always always use oil free make up that is made for acne okay??:) hope this will help and please remember dont let acne take over your life...oh yeah get plenty of sleep....sleep before 11pm cause after that your skin produces more oil and sebum...dont stress cause it does produce more oil too...hope i helped:)

Wrong forum!

You shouldn't be using all those products several times a day, especially not the 10% BP. I'd advise you to wash twice a day with Sebamed cleansing bar (or another of their products).

http://www.sebamed.com/index.php?id=2174&L=1

http://www.sebamed.com/

Accept no substitiutes for Sebamed. They are simply the best, and won't do as much harm as good, as many other products do. (The damage is reversible in time: don't worry.)

Then apply Retin-A in the evenings. If you haven't tried Retin-A yet, I seriously suggest you do. You can find it online if you can't get a derm to prescribe it for you.

Moderator, please move to appropriate sub-forum, so they can get the help they need.

Ok yeah I am new here so I wasn't sure where to put this, but if anybody knows how to move it please let me know!

And thank you so much, I will look at the Sebamed. If it is too expensive I can't buy it though...part of the reason why I am trying to get off these products is because they really burn a hole in my pocket!!

i can promise you that you will be glad to stop using all of that crap. i like everyone else tried absolutely everything, adn it just made things worse. my face is clear now except for a few small ones every once in a while. i just wipe the oil off my face in the morning and before bed and thats it. retin a and all that crap would sometimes help for a little while, but never did i find somehting that worked for an extended period of time.

to be contrarian...

I used to use a bunch of products and they messed with my skin and didn't do much for my acne, so I decided to try the holistic thing. I was just using a mild cleanser and a moisturizer for several months, and eating a very controlled diet. I felt good that I was being more natural, and I noticed my skin looking healthier. However, my acne only improved a little bit, and it was hard to sustain. Finally, about 2 weeks ago, I decided to try a 10% BP face wash instead of my mild cleanser. It has worked WONDERS. My acne is like 80% clear after only 2 weeks. It does create dryness, and I don't feel as good about myself because I'm not being all natural, but when it comes to actually treating acne, I think you shouldn't count out using ONE, just one, face wash like BP. Don't overload yourself with a bunch of stuff though, because that only leads to weird skin reactions.

Of course, we are different people with different skin, so who knows, and it definitely cannot hurt to eat better and drink lots of water--everything unknown555 looks good and look through the holistic forum for more general info.

good luck!

I commend you on trashing the products!

However, I'd recommend just stopping cold turkey. It isn't like caffeine or anything. Slowly weening your way off of the products isn't going to really help you much so you might as well just stop all at once.

there's a variety of natural remedies that you can use in place of these products that work wonders and won't strip your skin.

im on the same boat, i trashed the BP and Glycolic acid product that has severly dried out my skin and everytime i step out of the shower i feel like im wearing a dry mask on my face.. and later my face gets really oily. sucks especially right now.