Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oppositelouis

Accutane and Asian Skin

After trying the "no chemicals on my face" approach for 6-7 months, I've decided to finally try Accutane.

I'm Asian, male, 19 years old, very oily skin, with moderate to severe acne.

My acne is hereditary, which is one reason why I've avoided Accutane for so long. If my father had acne well into his 40's, then I figured that once the Accutane course stopped, my genetics would reign supreme and bring back the acne.

However, I, like many of you, decided to try this miracle drug for whatever reason. I've tried Erythomycin, Clindamycin, Proactiv, Benzamycin, Tetracycline, Minocycline, Doxycycline, and Retin-A. And for the past 6-7 months, I've been taking various vitamins and drinking ACV.

I'm here to ask for third-party advice. I'd like to know the lasting effects of Accutane on oily-skinned people, especially Asian male ones. Almost all of my Asian relatives that have tried Accutane have not had successful courses. I'm trying to see the general trend of Accutane effects on Asians. Now I know that Asians, like every other race, do not all have the same skin type. Yes, there are Asians with different combinations of skin types but I'm just looking to see if a general trend exists.

But, I would also like to hear all of your tips/advice. Do you have hereditary acne, and did Accutane make a dent? Share any info you want to pass along! I'll keep you all posted on my Accutane adventure if I decided to move forward with this. I'll ask a mod to move this thread to the Accutane log section, and I'll turn this thread into a log.

All the best,

Louis

After trying the "no chemicals on my face" approach for 6-7 months, I've decided to finally try Accutane.

I'm Asian, male, 19 years old, very oily skin, with moderate to severe acne.

My acne is hereditary, which is one reason why I've avoided Accutane for so long. If my father had acne well into his 40's, then I figured that once the Accutane course stopped, my genetics would reign supreme and bring back the acne.

However, I, like many of you, decided to try this miracle drug for whatever reason. I've tried Erythomycin, Clindamycin, Proactiv, Benzamycin, Tetracycline, Minocycline, Doxycycline, and Retin-A. And for the past 6-7 months, I've been taking various vitamins and drinking ACV.

I'm here to ask for third-party advice. I'd like to know the lasting effects of Accutane on oily-skinned people, especially Asian male ones. Almost all of my Asian relatives that have tried Accutane have not had successful courses. I'm trying to see the general trend of Accutane effects on Asians. Now I know that Asians, like every other race, do not all have the same skin type. Yes, there are Asians with different combinations of skin types but I'm just looking to see if a general trend exists.

But, I would also like to hear all of your tips/advice. Do you have hereditary acne, and did Accutane make a dent? Share any info you want to pass along! I'll keep you all posted on my Accutane adventure if I decided to move forward with this. I'll ask a mod to move this thread to the Accutane log section, and I'll turn this thread into a log.

All the best,

Louis

Hi Louis,

I'm also Asian, male, 21 years old. I have just finished 158 days of Accutane treatment. About 6 months ago, I had a severe acne breakout due to a combination of reasons that I still don't quite understand: hormones, stress from college, use of new cleansers, whatever. But the main thing was that I broke out quite badly with cysts and nodules all localized to the face. I hesitated for weeks before taking accutane, because I didn't know much about the drug except for the bad side effects that people raved about. I spent hours looking into accutane and still i was indecisive, partly because i was in denial that I needed something drastic like Accutane to cure my condition. You see, I simply thought my acne would go away with the BP that I normally use.

Finally, it got so bad that I had to see a derm and get accutane right away. The derm actually prescribed me some topical and oral antibiotics, but I knew that I needed accutane. Fast forward 5 months, and here I am, completely zit-free. And I mean totally clear. Absolutely no breakout. Despite my fears, I had a very good response to accutane. I actually took the generic version, Claravis. No initial breakout, and my skin was clear after the first 6 weeks. I was on a high dose, 40mg for the first month, 80mg for the next 3 months, and 60mg for the last month. My derm wanted to put me on a high dose because she believed that a high dose is more effective for my case.

The worst side effect I experienced was photosensitivity. My face got incredibly sensitive to the sunlight, and any sun exposure will make my face red and burn. Also, facial flushing and redness were with me the entire course of Claravis. Other than that, just the anticipated dry skin, dry lips, dry eyes, but all of these conditions are manageable and did not hamper my continuation with Claravis (I use CeraVe cleanser, the Eucerin Calming Creme for moisturizing because my skin got very dry and red, and Cetaphil sunblock for the photosensitivity, Sooth XP for the dry eyes, and any lotion for the hands and body since Claravis gave me some patches of eczema on the hands and neck).

I stopped taking the drug 4 days ago, and my dry skin has gotten a lot better. The only thing I'm waiting for now is for the facial redness to subside. Then I've got some hyperpigmented spots to take care of and some scars that I hope chemical peels will lessen.

Looking back, I do not regret my decision to take Claravis at all. It has been extremely tough on me physically and emotionally. But I'm now in a place that's much better than surely what would have been if I had not gone on Accutane. Please take it if you have severe acne. Don't let your familial history of acne deter you from seeking treatment. Acne can be disfiguring, and the sooner you take care of it, the better your outcome will be. Good luck with everything!

Erm , just curious.

Do you guys take accutane everyday or few times per week?

Because my derm prescribed me to 2 times per week but i see everybody taking it everyday.

So i thought it may be because i'm an asian?