Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
benjix

How I cured my acne

I've been suffering from acne for years. Like eveyrone else I tried everything. On the internet they seem to say that everything is the cause of acne - etc...sugar, milk. I tried limiting those only to see short lived results.

Then I read about how tap water caused acne so I remember that at one time I read this and i tried using filtered water to wash face and even hair and not allow tap water to touch my face at all and it worked. Then i got lazy to filter so I forgot that it was the cause of acne.

So i started doing this again - washing face and hair with filtered water and not allow a single drop of tap on my face.

And I found that my acne has cleared up quite well and no inflamation. I still have blackheads though but not so many. I'm pretty sure that it's tap water that's causing my acne. Also if you are breaking out, you should continue to use medication , acne soap, etc... it's just that the tap water is causing the problem.

If you'd just believe me and do like me for a week while still on medication, you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm not selling you anything LOL.

I have a filtration system in my kitchen and I carry the water to wash me in the bathroom. You can use whatever but bottled water would be too expensive. Dont get mineral water. Mineral water is hard water if you use it on yo body it's sort of like tap water.

I just googled 'does tap water cause acne?' and, I guess it does!

"For those people who use or consume tap water regularly and somehow are affected by acne, take note! Does tap water cause acne? The answer to that short question is "YES!". Tap water does cause acne or in some way cause your acne condition to worsen. If you drink or wash your face with tap water, then you need to stop doing so. Studies have shown that tap water is causing acne.

People always have assumed that the usage of unfiltered tap water is safe for them. But do you know that tap water is chlorinated? Chlorinated water destroys vitamin E and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Loss of these fatty acids and vitamin results in acne breakouts and damaged skin tissue. Why is the water chlorinated? That move is to kill harmful bacterias in water so that it is safe for consumption and usage by the public. But chlorinated water also means destroyed skin cells, beneficial bacterias and vitamins.

When you drink tap water, the chlorin in the water will kill intestinal flora and generates free radicals. The existence of free radicals also means that your hair follicles will clog more easily - a direct cause of acne. Free radicals also weaken your body's immune system, which in turn will cause the sebaceous gland to secrete more sebum through your skin, another direct cause of acne.

Consider this, if you continue to use tap water to wash your face, you are causing your acne condition to worsen. The best and easy way to deal with this problem is to install a basic water filtration system in your home so that you can consume and use the water safely and free of chlorin and other heavy metal elements that exist in tap water. Do this and you shall see a difference in your acne condition.

Now that you know the harm tap water brings, start using a water filter in your home now."

has there been actual scientific results that has proven a cause and effect relationship between tap water and acne? tap water as a cause just seems a little too paranoid to me.

I dont think that just switching to filter water will help everyone. Ive been washing my skin with regular tap water ever since I started gettin acne and Im 98% clear with my own thing. I seriously dont think that everyones acne problem is being caused by bad water. I guess if your skin is just really sensitive like that then yes tap water is bad, but I dont think just switching to filtered water is the solution for all.

I'm glad you have found your cure!! I actually was wondering if say ozarka spring water is considered filtered water...and also is room temperature okay? how long have you been on this and how long before seeing resultS? thanks for your reply!!

no offense, but i'm pretty sure adults who have grown out of acne, continue to bathe in regular tap water. *shrug*

in one week, I:

stopped using drugs

stopped smoking cigarettes

started taking a multivitamin

started eating vitamin rich/low GI foods

went back on Bactrim DS

and I now wash my face with only distilled water (but I will soon switch to deionized since Ican get it from work for free)

a week later and I'm 99% clear. I attribute most of it to the antibiotic, but somethings working.

So it sounds like from the above post that the main reason the tap water would be bad for you is because of the added chlorine?

Well...I live outside of city limits and we have our own well with our own water and obviously no chlorine either. It also has a pH that is very close to neutral.

So should mine be ok then?

this is weird... about a week ago I my skin was clear and I was drinking bottled water and actually had a water purifier hooked up to my shower head.

recently I tossed out the filter cause it was getting in the way, I have a weird shower attachment, and I ran out of bottled water/drinks. I have been taking normal showers and chugging tap water to stay hydrated. my faces looks like this now! :xxx:

really curious if the shower attachment and bottled water was making a difference....

So it sounds like from the above post that the main reason the tap water would be bad for you is because of the added chlorine?

Well...I live outside of city limits and we have our own well with our own water and obviously no chlorine either. It also has a pH that is very close to neutral.

So should mine be ok then?

Anyone?

It's hard to say if your water is alright. Chlorine is bad for the skin because it destroys Vitamin E, which is essential for healing, and essential fatty acids. But chlorine is not that only thing in tap water that can be dangerous. There's a bunch of cations and anions in there that can create free radicals in/on your skin. Even if you have well water, these things can exist. You also have a higher potential of there being microbes in your water because the reason they put chlorine in water is to kill off the microbes.

What's wierd is that I started washing with chlorine free distilled/deionized water and my face is clearing up, yet when I go to the beach and get in the salt water my face clears up. Sea salt is NaCl, sodium chloride. I guess chlorine isn't as harmful when it's in a salt form.

Try it. Buy a gallon of distilled water at the grocery store, costs like $1. fill a cup with about 8 oounces and when you get out of the shower splash your face with it. It works.

It's hard to say if your water is alright. Chlorine is bad for the skin because it destroys Vitamin E, which is essential for healing, and essential fatty acids. But chlorine is not that only thing in tap water that can be dangerous. There's a bunch of cations and anions in there that can create free radicals in/on your skin. Even if you have well water, these things can exist. You also have a higher potential of there being microbes in your water because the reason they put chlorine in water is to kill off the microbes.

What's wierd is that I started washing with chlorine free distilled/deionized water and my face is clearing up, yet when I go to the beach and get in the salt water my face clears up. Sea salt is NaCl, sodium chloride. I guess chlorine isn't as harmful when it's in a salt form.

Try it. Buy a gallon of distilled water at the grocery store, costs like $1. fill a cup with about 8 oounces and when you get out of the shower splash your face with it. It works.

is this the only thing you use? distilled/deionized water? and do you do this once a day?

thanks for your reply!!

this seems a little interesting gonna give it a try i have a water dispenser from my freezer thats clean filtered water right??

I would have to say that this is working rather nicely for me as well. My parents buy deer park water and have it delivered all the time. I have been using that. They dont seem to even care or notice that Its been going much faster than usual. We have a filter, but i'd rather just stick with what is working right now.

I've had acne for over 10 years and I've tried everything for it. A few years back I started using this three step acne treatment and I saw great improvements for a year. Then I moved to a different state and started noticing that I got dozens of small acne all over my face, so I switched my acnet regime. Nothing was working...I was getting so frustrated, telling my husband a few weeks ago that maybe the water was too harsh here. I started doing research online and it all says that certain people are effected by using tap water to wash their face. Then I realized that at my previous residence had a filtration system...hence the clear skin. I just started using distilled water a few days ago and I can already tell the difference. I don't think that tap water effects everyone the same, but with someone with sensitive skin as mine, hey why not give it a try? The only downside of using the distilled water is that its is cold ( I'm used to taking hot showers), but if it works, it's worth the sacrifice.

Hmmm..am I really about to start using Poland Springs to wash my face...

I stopped using tap water to wash my face with, now I only use distilled water once a day. I think there is a definite improvement from making this change. Then again, I still wash my back with tap water in the shower, and my bacne went away whereas my facial acne still remains (but is subsiding more and more), but I'm certain my face would look like a hellstorm if I was still washing my face in the shower.

I'm going to try this guys!

I've been drinking lots of water but I'll be drinking filtered water and washing my face with distilled water from now on.

Anyone else found success?

I have a Brita Water Filter and I'm going to heat it up with my tea kettle to wash my face! Maybe this will help make it a little more bearable than washing with cold water!

Hehe that's what I currently do anyway. You boil water first, wait for it to cool, filter it using BRITA.

Don't put it in the fridge unless you want to wash your face with water that feels like ice.

I'm subscribed to WAY to many threads so I'm unsubscribing from this one, pm me if anything interesting happens!