Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

post-90321-1229313642_thumb.jpg

Ive tried everything: Proactiv, oral medication, moisturizers, benzoyl peroxide bar, mederma for my scars, and PATIENCE!

My face got full of cystic acne in less than 4 months. Before all I had were blackheads which are tolerable, but now my face is disgusting. Im constantly wearing gunky makeup, which I hate, to TRY to cover up like MAC and L'oreal. I can't stand to look at my face in the mirror.

post-90321-1229313642_thumb.jpg

You are gorgeous. Seems like you've used a too many things that didn't work in such a short time. You know, what worked best for me was Dove bar soap, white. It might be all of the products or acne meds causing breakouts, that's what I found in my case.

Stay away from that gunky makeup! It may not 'cover' as well as you want, but loose powder works really well and doesn't look like cheesecake--you can barely feel it and it's a lot better for your skin. I was skeptical that it wouldn't 'cover' my pimples when I had cysts like yours. Nothing's going to hide the bumps, but it hides redness and evens out your skin tone just fine.

I too agree that you are very pretty. I know what you are going through and it's an awful feeling. Right now I'm on Accutane, and it's helping a great deal! I have 3 more months to go but most of my cysts have gone away and I'm starting to feel better about myself. Side effects have been very minimul with me, and I'm on a very high dose. Please try it though! It really makes a difference and can help you get your confidence back. If you have any questions at all about it just send me a message and I'd be more than happy to help you. :angel:

You need to go see the derm. My derm told me that the only treatment that would have any effect on severe acne is accutane. Unfortunatly no face wash or acne creams that you could buy at the supermarket can treat severe acne.

well, i've also experienced having acne like that. i thought that OTC products would make me get rid of it but what they left me were deep scars which are embarrassing.

what i can suggest you is to consult a dermatologist before those pimples turn to deep scars because of using so many products on ur face.

If you are going to wear makeup, purchase products that won't clog pores. I'm not an expert with makeup however lol; but this is my assumption, and I know there are those products out there.

I can't tell by the pictures but go see your derm, Proactiv doesn't work for anyone, in fact the only person I know who it's worked for is my friend who didn't have any facial acne to begin with, and P. Diddy. Regardless of what your derm says, ask him/her about Accutane. I used it and I wouldn't be the same person if I didn't. I suffered from worse acne than you but I don't see why it wouldn't hurt to try.

Do some research and see if it's right for you, I 100% back the product. Send me a message if you have any questions, I can tell you how my Accutane journey was.

Best of luck!

Have you ever tried using mineral makeup?

I get cystic acne a lot but I use bare minerals and it brings down the redness look and I always make sure to wash my makeup brushes every few days. I use to use liquid makeup and even though it said oil free it still would cause my pores to freak out.

I would def. go see a derm. beg your parents that is all you want for Christmas!! I couldn't take staring at my face in the mirror and got really depressed and wouldn't leave the house unless I had to... that kinda made my mom realize maybe I better see a derm after I had tried so many products. Go prepared with a lot of questions and a list of everything you have used before. Maybe it could be hormonal also? IDK just a thought.

I use to use ProActiv from 2002-2005. I would get the occasional pimple but it helped get rid of it completely BUT then I don't know if my skin got resistant to it (i've read this happens) and it is now worse than ever.

Best wishes!

Ive tried the mineral make-up and it doesnt cover me up at all.

The Derm i went to during the summer prescribed me a 5% benzoyl peroxide wash, minocoline pills (dont know how to spell it), and clindamycin. none of it worked. I think it made me worse actually.

Ahh!! im like bombarding my face with all these products in search of HOPE, but all i get is disappointment.

I wouldnt go for accutane, though, thats for sure. Im not that desperate. Maybe ill try Botchla's regimen. *crossing my fingers*

:unsure:

You need to go see the derm. My derm told me that the only treatment that would have any effect on severe acne is accutane. Unfortunatly no face wash or acne creams that you could buy at the supermarket can treat severe acne.

That's not true. Go to the derm and tell him to change the medications...

I had acne worse than you and went on 2 courses of accutane within a period of 3 years. It was the best decision I have ever made, as it cleared me 100%. I regret to say, however, that my acne hes come back (albeit not the cysts and as many nodules as I had before). I really, REALLY think you should at least consider accutane. Hell, I am considering a 3rd course myself.

The Derm i went to during the summer prescribed me a 5% benzoyl peroxide wash, minocoline pills (dont know how to spell it), and clindamycin. none of it worked. I think it made me worse actually.

Ahh!! im like bombarding my face with all these products in search of HOPE, but all i get is disappointment.

I wouldnt go for accutane, though, thats for sure. Im not that desperate. Maybe ill try Botchla's regimen. *crossing my fingers*

Have you tried glycolic renewal gel by Serious Skin Care? (Found on QVC) That stuff is awesome, they also sell an acid peel kit and a Vitamin C Wash kit.. The Vitamin C is amazing.. worked for me for a while..

Sounds like you're doing too much. Have you tried ortho tricycline birth control? Worked wonders for me. Also, trying washing your face with baking soda and water. Make a paste and GENTLY massage your face, DO NOT scrub as the baking soda will exfoliate so you need to be GENTLE. Drink more water and maybe keep a food journal. Sometimes writing down what we put into our bodies really opens up our eyes.

Despite your acne, you are very beautiful. I have kinda the same as you. I got the worst ever in October and got really depressed. It was some stuff I was using, which the place I got it from thinks they arent at the wrong.

Anyways, for past few months now, I have been using nothing on my face and its improved. I get little to no acne, and am just trying to heal the redmarks I guess. I hope you feel better, because your like a 10/10.

My skin looks very similar to yours...tried proactive which did not work, accutane works but then it comes back once you stop. I bet your skin is combination, only oily on your T zone like me...what seems to work for me are sulfur based products. If you're not trying to get preggers Birth Control and Spironoloctone (sp?) also cleared me up.

I sympathize w/ your plight! Not wanting to look at myself. Been there/am there. Taken all those meds. Same ones. Yep.

Wish I could tell you differently but accutane is what finally cleared me up and made me whole again. I still had to stay on light stuff like doxycycline to maintain/control it. Unfortunately that only lasted 4-5 yrs. and the acne is back and Im starting 'Tane once again. But only because I was in denial about what was happening for the last year.

Some docs may tell you to do a retinoid, too. Always a risk because you dont know how bad that initial breakout will be but it's worth a gamble if you have the insurance to pay for it.

Your acne is exactly how mine is, and i had completly clear skin before i got on ortho trycycline birth control, and it was fine during birth control and the month i got off of it my face went CRAZY, i was so depressed and refused to leave my house, make up made it look worse because you could tell i was trying to cover it up, i use the 5% BP wash also, and that helped a little, the doxycyline pills helped me ALOT, it took about 3 months for me to see a difference though, my acne is mainly gone but there are tons of red marks and scarring and its horrible so im getting a glycolic acid peel to try and help it, but the make up i use now which covers my skin amazing and doesnt clog pores and is the best make up for your skin is Jane Iredale powder foundation, its kind of expensive (like $40 or $50) but it is definatly worth it. i hope yours gets better, i know im suffering with mine!

What is it about Accutane that makes you not want to consider it? I can't wait to start mine. I have tried all kinds of antibiotics and topical medication combinations and only ever get very temporary relief. From everything I've read here and on other websites, it seems that for people with severe or persistent cystic acne, the only real help out is Accutane. Sure, finding the right products for your regimen will help but I believe it will only let you control some of your outbreaks, but won't ever really clear up your skin when you have cystic acne. I've tried sooo many things! Best of luck to you. :-)

hey im totally with you with hating looking in the mirror, not nice !!, what i would tell u is that what everyone else is saying, when you try something new its usually two months untill you see the postive or negative effects coming from that product, if you get an immediate bad effect, persever witht product as it may not be it causeing the bad effects. i would suggest using simple soap bar, iive got really complex skin that reacts to everything whcih sounds like what u have a problem with, as soon as i strted washing with simple soap morning and night i got a huge improvement. Its mainy because its for sensitive skin and doesnt contain chemicals like other soaps. hope this helps, dont let your acne direct and ruin your life cause u r beautiful :) x