Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmoore

dietary acne cure book

I haven't read his book, but I have read a few of his articles... he would probably suggest trying to avoid dairy, as he associated dairy to acne in one of his articles, and he would probably recommend the paleo diet. The goal is to reduce IGF-1 production which results from insulin spikes which occur most prominently when you have starchy foods. I believe the Paleo diet is pretty much just animals and plants mostly (meat, poultry, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, herbs and spices).

Yup, I have that. He basically says to avoid dairy, trans-fats, grains- a paleo diet. The only problem is that he suggests that all meats be lean, except for fish, and to use oils like canola. His theory comes from the flawed idea that animal and other natural fats are bad for you, while in reality they are essential to life (as opposed to carbs). Also, no vegetable oils are good for you. Olive oil is good, but olives are fruits.

Overall, though, his diet is MUCH better than the typical Western diet and he got great review on Amazon...

I'm currently on a modified paleo diet... I started it about a week ago. It's the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet" except I'm being even more stringent about avoiding dairy than what is recommended in SCD.. so I'm somewhere between SCD and paleo.

Basically I'm eating NO grains, NO processed foods, tons of fresh fruits and vegetables, and tons of natural/organic meats (fatty and lean). The ONLY dairy I'm eating is butter (for cooking) and a small amount of organic, aged cheddar every 1-2 days.

My skin was already looking good when I started the diet but right now it is looking AMAZING and I currently have zero active pimples, only one or two tiny ones that are already well into the healing process.

I will also say that I feel amazing, in terms of my energy and mood and mental clarity.

I know it hasn't been long enough to tell if this diet is "it" for me, but so far my body seems to be LOVING it, and I don't feel deprived at all -- it's delicious!!

does he saying anything about almonds if you eat one ounce per day.?

i know he says to avoid eating large consumption of nuts put dont know how mny ounces daily would be large.

even though no omega 3, almonds are mostly monunstatred fat with high anitoxidants

does he saying anything about almonds if you eat one ounce per day.?

i know he says to avoid eating large consumption of nuts put dont know how mny ounces daily would be large.

even though no omega 3, almonds are mostly monunstatred fat with high anitoxidants

I believe he says to use nuts only as a garnish because they have unfavorable omega 3/6 ratios. He says one can be more liberal with the walnuts because they have more omega 3s.

Olive oil is a vegetable oil. So are flaxseed oil, walnut oil, sesame oil, and avocado oil. I doubt these oils are bad for your health, unless you have a reaction to them.

Yup, I have that. He basically says to avoid dairy, trans-fats, grains- a paleo diet. The only problem is that he suggests that all meats be lean, except for fish, and to use oils like canola. His theory comes from the flawed idea that animal and other natural fats are bad for you, while in reality they are essential to life (as opposed to carbs). Also, no vegetable oils are good for you. Olive oil is good, but olives are fruits.

Overall, though, his diet is MUCH better than the typical Western diet and he got great review on Amazon...

Olive oil is a vegetable oil. So are flaxseed oil, walnut oil, sesame oil, and avocado oil. I doubt these oils are bad for your health, unless you have a reaction to them.

I'm not sure why you think that oils from fruits and nuts are vegetable oils. Olives and avocados are fruits and I'm sure you know walnuts are not vegetables. Sesame oil and walnut oil are too high in omega 6's and go rancid easily.

Many people think walnuts are better than other nuts because they have more omega 3. That's true, but the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 is the same or worse than other nuts, since there is also much more omega 6. So walnuts are no better than others in this respect. I don't eat nuts, but when I did, macadamia nuts were by far the best choice as they have a very good ration of omega 3:6.

ryudoadema, I know I had this discussion with someone else but oils from fruits like olives are considered vegetable oils. An oil from a plant source is a vegetable oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_oil

Thus, for example, even though a peanut is a legume, peanut oil is still a vegetable oil.

By the way, Walnuts have a 1:4 omega 3 to 6 ratio. I believe this is best ratio of all the nuts.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/nut-and...products/3138/2

Macadamias have a 1:8 ratio.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/nut-and...products/3123/2

quote name='ryudoadema' date='Dec 16 2008, 06:19 PM' post='2477211']

I'm not sure why you think that oils from fruits and nuts are vegetable oils. Olives and avocados are fruits and I'm sure you know walnuts are not vegetables. Sesame oil and walnut oil are too high in omega 6's and go rancid easily.

Many people think walnuts are better than other nuts because they have more omega 3. That's true, but the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 is the same or worse than other nuts, since there is also much more omega 6. So walnuts are no better than others in this respect. I don't eat nuts, but when I did, macadamia nuts were by far the best choice as they have a very good ration of omega 3:6.

ryudoadema, I know I had this discussion with someone else but oils from fruits like olives are considered vegetable oils. An oil from a plant source is a vegetable oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_oil

Thus, for example, even though a peanut is a legume, peanut oil is still a vegetable oil.

Ok,I see how that works. They are still fruit oils and nut oils as per this and this..But since all fruits and nuts can technically be considered vegetables it is just easier to put them all in one category.

By the way, Walnuts have a 1:4 omega 3 to 6 ratio. I believe this is best ratio of all the nuts.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/nut-and...products/3138/2

Macadamias have a 1:8 ratio.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/nut-and...products/3123/2

I stand corrected. I had forgot why I ate macadamias and for me walnuts were worse. I was trying to keep a 1:2 ratio of O3:O6. Walnuts have about 2566mg omega3 and 10666mg omega6. Macadamia nuts have 55mg omega3 and 365mg omega6. Now, if I took 1 teaspoon of cod liver oil etc at 1000mg of omega 3, I could have 7 oz of macadamia nuts and still have a 1:2 ratio of omega3 to omega6. I'd have to have 2 1/2 tspns of clo for each serving of walnuts to get a 2:1.

So it is fine if you're not going for better than a 1:4 ration, but if you're trying to get better than that, then walnuts set the balance off more than other nuts. Plus the fact that an overall lower amount of polyunsaturated acids along with a good ratio is best, Excessconsumption of polyunsaturated oils has been shown to contribute to a large number of disease conditions including increased cancer and heart disease; immune system dysfunction; damage to the liver, reproductive organs and lungs; digestive disorders; depressed learning ability; impaired growth; and weight gain. Walnuts have over 13 g per serving while macadamia nuts have just over

400mg altogether.

Anyway, that was my reason why I don't think walnuts are better than other nuts- at least for me...

i think almods are great sicne they are moslty mon unsstared fat when you eat one ounce per day. and low in omega 6. that amount shouldnt do harm