Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trace D

Nodules or Cysts

I really need some feedback or help here. I've asked before if anyone out there has had cysts that hang around for years and years. I have a few behind my ears that have been there for at least 15 years. Sometimes I can squeeze white puss out of them.

I also had one on my cheek for over 10 years, and the derm lanced and drained that. He also warned us about the smell. It was awful. These are the hard bumps that never really come to ahead.

Has anyone out there ever had any like this?

Well, I have never had one that long of period of time, but usually if I have a cyst, I put some Mint Julep Mask on it and leave it on overnite. That usually diminishes the size................................for me.

I have nodules for a month. Only started applying medicines from december 7. Though i am on accutane for 3 months now, it didn't affect my nodule but doctor said it will take time. I m using Clindamycin Phosphate Gel mixed with Aloe and very tiny amt of BP on the face twice a day. It still didn't show any result. My face got darker. So last night i decided to pop my nodules. Though they dont hv head i took a cloth and pressed it hard and lott puss came out so i guess it flattens them. I took a pic on dec 7, 10 and tonight december 14

see it

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9415/changewi1.jpg

They did use stitches, and the scar actually disppeared about a year later. It was very small and not very noticeable.

I had two above my eyebrows and the doc sliced them open with a scalpel, then took out the what looked like a rock. They had hardened. I did have stitches and they left not very noticeable scars. I have to watch them for other zits though. I don't want more. My problem is popping or picking. I so need help with that more.

Cobaltbaby... that is exactly what my derm did. He lanced, removed the "sack". It was hard on the outside, but pus on the inside of the sack. I got stitches, but no scar.

Did the derm gently squeeze all around the cyst to push it up to the skin level?

YES! Ive had a huge one on the back of my neck for years! and ive just noticed that I am getting one behind my ear. My mom has squeezed the one on the back of my neck before and stuff came back but it never went away. I think most doctors would want to lance it but I dont think that's a good idea.

Simononis, why don't you think the doctor lancing them is a good idea? The one that your mom squeezed has come back, correct? Was she able to drain it just by squeezing it?

yes she drained it by squeezing it, and unfortunately it did come back, luckily its above the hairline on the back of my neck so isnt visible and it never hurts i just know its there. I've been scared of lancing it because it's very tough..my dad had one on his face that the doctor lanced and it resulted in a cystic scar on his face. I've have polynidol cysts on my back that I had lanced and it was incredible painful---so I'm honestly scared to do it to any of the cystic nodules that are on my head.

I first noticed a rather large cyst on my back in the spring of 1994 (easy to remember as this was a few months after I met my future wife).

Even though it was smack in the center of my back and thus almost impossible to reach, I somehow managed and was treated to a large amount of pus which had the odor of rancid cheese. I left it alone after that and some years later my GP, during a routine office visit, noticed the lump and told me it was a cyst and that I could have it removed if I wanted to.

It doesn't hurt at all and has not increased in size, so I've never pursued having it removed.

I have similar questions to the ones being presented already on this thread...

How long do cysts USUALLY last? Especially if you ice them and take Ibuprofen and stuff?

Also, I know this sounds very stupid, but what's the difference between a cyst and a nodule?

I remember the smell when I had the doc remove a cyst... it was the worst thing I had ever smelled. Awful!!!

Does the cyst remain the same size? Has it grown?

I wonder what makes these cysts permanent and others not?