Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greeneyes44

Everyday Minerals Questions

Hello All,

I recently joined the board and have been reading up a lot on the make up section, because like everyone else here I have a lot of skin issues I need to cover without making me break out worse.

After reading a lot about EDM here I decided to order the free sample kit (3 foundations, 1 concealer, 1 blush) plus since that was free I ordered a couple extra samples as well :)

Til now, I have alway been a liquid foundation / cream concealer / pressed powder girl. BUT I am really beginning to suspect this make up regimen nay be making my acne worse because it's all heavy layer stuff, even though I only use oil free it still has to be pore clogging, right?

Plus it doesn't look as natural as I'd like it to.

I should also mention that my skin ranges from seriously dry to seriously oily at random times. The dryness is made worse by some of the products I'm currently using (Sulfur wash, Differin Gel, Duac lotion, and BP 2.5% - not all at the same time. I alternate) also I live in the northeast and the winter weather makes my skin even dryer.

On the flipside, I can go to bed with super dry flakey skin but wake up to a oil slick covered face, same thing happens during the day after my make up has been on a few hours the oils start to build up. I am hoping the change to mineral foundation and concealer will help control the day time oil production.

So here's my question - Because my skin is so dry when I get out of the shower (even after applying moisturizer) then when I go to put on my normal liquid foundation my skin right now looks dry and flakey.

I'm having a hard time imagining that putting on dry minerals will

A. not make me look dryer and flakey or cakey

B. be able to cover my red spots (1 or 2 active spots and a bunch of red / pink scars that are healing)

I am wondering how you apply the mineral foundation. Do you just apply it dry with a brush or is it meant to be mixed with water or some kind of primer?

Same thing for the concealer, how is it applied? Dry or wet?

I have heard primers can work well, but are there any oil free ones that don't make you break out?

Sorry this is so long, thanks in advance for your replies.

MMU will often make flaky skin look worse, IMO.

What is your skin routine? Do you use any moisturizer? If your skin gets that flaky, it is probably aggravating your acne and your skin care routine needs to be adjusted.

MMU is usually applied dry with a kabuki or flat top brush. It looks best when applied in several light layers. You "buff" the makeup on in a soft, small circular motion. Concealer is also applied dry with a smaller concealer brush (an eyeshadow brush will work). Starting off with well moisturized skin produces better results. MMU can take a few minutes to "melt" into the skin, so it may look powdery at first, but give it 15 minutes.

Some people do mix the MMU with water or moisturizer before applying and use a foundation brush to put it on. They call it "wet app". Search for some info on it, as I don't usually apply it that way & there are many methods. Whenever I have done it, I felt it lost the very natural look MMU usually gives, but then I have oily skin. As for applying concealer wet, I sometimes wet my brush a little and dip it in and apply it that way.

MMU will often make flaky skin look worse, IMO.

What is your skin routine? Do you use any moisturizer? If your skin gets that flaky, it is probably aggravating your acne and your skin care routine needs to be adjusted.

MMU is usually applied dry with a kabuki or flat top brush. It looks best when applied in several light layers. You "buff" the makeup on in a soft, small circular motion. Concealer is also applied dry with a smaller concealer brush (an eyeshadow brush will work). Starting off with well moisturized skin produces better results. MMU can take a few minutes to "melt" into the skin, so it may look powdery at first, but give it 15 minutes.

Some people do mix the MMU with water or moisturizer before applying and use a foundation brush to put it on. They call it "wet app". Search for some info on it, as I don't usually apply it that way & there are many methods. Whenever I have done it, I felt it lost the very natural look MMU usually gives, but then I have oily skin. As for applying concealer wet, I sometimes wet my brush a little and dip it in and apply it that way.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm a newbie so I'm not sure what MMU is.... I assume it's an acronym for the minerals?

Right now my skin routine is as follows:

AM

• Wash with cetaphil cleaners (or just water)

• Moisturize with Purpose SPF 15 or 30

Makeup appictation (on days when I leave the house)

• Foundation Lancome Teintidole Ultra (only been using for one week, like the coverage and staying power but skin still very oily on upper half of face and very dry on bottom half, probably due to recent bad breakout and mediations)

• Concealer - spot cover with benefit Galactic shield acne medication blemish concealer

• Pressed Powder - CliniqueStay Matte Sheer applied with sponge from compact

PM

• Wash with cetaphil cleaser most nights of the week

• A couple nights a week instead of the cetaphil I've been using a new presciption of Sodium Sulfacetamide and Sulfur wash(this is extremly drying so I have learned to not use everday, was using 2x a day which made the drying really bad)

• The past few nights I have skipped the above two and washed instead with proactive BP 2.5% wash which has helped clear some active breakouts.

I have a derm appointment tomorrow AM to discuss my routine in detail.

The Sulfur wash and BP are very drying, bUT my dryer skin doesn't break out as much as my oily skin which I get with just the cetaphil alone so I wonder if I just need a better moisturizer?

Also, my skin tends to be really dry on the lower half of my face and really oily on the upper half. This is because I suffer from hormonal acne so my breakouts are always on the lower half on my chin and above my lip and the mediation is more concentrated there.

I would categorize my acne mild to moderate. I can go months and months with it being mild and managable or "coverable" and then all of the sudden out of nowhere (usually in times of stress or weather changes) I get a hugher flare up with like 10 - 20 at a time.

I am just recovering from a really bad breakout now, things are healing up for now so I'm hoping to rebalance the proper oil / dryness issues and then my make up will look normal again.

I'm just really not sure how to go about applying the minerals when they arrive. I guess I'll have to do some trial and error until I get it right. They seem to work really well for a lot of folks here. I hope I'm one of them! I am really tired of the 3 layer makeup routine I explained above. I really long for the day when I can wear little to no cover up on my face....but I am 38 years old and there is no sign of my acne slowing down. I've tried every medication under the sun, had bad reactions to many even hospitalized by 1 with a toxic liver (Bactim, was allergic to the sulfa). Other allergic reactions to 4 antibiotics and because my system is sensitive my internist and obgyn and eye Dr have all forbode me from ever attempting accutane. I'd be too afraid to anyway.

I can only take very short term round of antibiotics, for one week only. Longterm usuage has caused me many internal problems over the years with just aren't worth it to me.

Which just leaves me with adjusting my skin care routine, topicals, and the occasional cortisone injection when I get really bad cyst flare ups. As you can see make up is important to me, but my struggle is finding something that looks "natural" which gives me enough coverage without clogging my pores and making things worse!

Sigh....my heart really goes out to everyone on this board because I've been fighting the fight for the last 23 years myself and still not winning!

It is so incredibly frustrating. Someday they gotta come up with a miracle cream that does not involve ingesting poisons into your body.

Yep, MMU = mineral makeup. And yeah, adult acne is a bummer. Even women without acne usually need some makeup to look presentable, so I just think of it that way :P

I've never used Purpose, but I hear it has a good rep. Make sure to moisturize at night also. It may actually help you from getting so greasy in the morning. If flakiness is an issue, a moisturizer with an alpha hydroxy acid can help a lot (lactic acid or glycolic acid). AHAs also help treat acne too. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion is popular, acne.org makes a good AHA, and I personally like lac-hydrin five, as lactic acid is more gentle (less effective for acne & used more for gentle exfoliation).

For winter weather flakiness, I also like using organic 100% jojoba oil (actually a plant wax, not oil). Massage a little gently onto cleansed skin and the flakes will roll off into your fingers. Then you can rinse it off (it will leave a residue, but it's great for moisturizing). Most people have no issues with this breaking them out. Like anything, monitor your skin and don't try too many new products at once, so you know what product is the issue if you break out more than normal.

The general consensus here is that medicated face washes (ie. the sulphur or Proactiv BP wash) aren't on the skin long enough to treat the acne effectively, but just long enough to dry the skin out. It's probably better to stick with the gentle Cetaphil wash and maybe apply a leave on topical BP. The 2.5% Proactiv BP is something you might try (since you might have it on hand).

If BP has been effective for you, you might consider the acne.org regimen (DKR), which is similar to what you're already doing but with more BP & twice a day. You can always adjust how much BP if your acne is on the mild to moderate side & tends to be dry. Anyhow, the routine in general has a lot of good tips that can be applied to any regimen, like allowing a topical medication to dry thoroughly before applying moisturizer, etc. I learned a lot when I did the DKR regimen, and even though I am not on it anymore, I still use a lot of the principals behind the steps.

Also, have you ever considered retin-a?

I use the .1% cream right now, and it surprisingly hasn't been very drying for me. You work up to the highest concentration & can use it alternately with something like BP. Since I forget to take my antibiotic half the time (and I am not crazy about ingesting stuff either...which is why I don't recommend it to anyone even though it has worked for me), I sometimes use a layer of BP in the morning and my skin looks pretty good lately.

Anyway, it sounds like you are on the right track. Maybe experiment with moisturizers a little bit. Finding the best moisturizer for yourself is like finding gold.

I think you will like everyday minerals...but it does take some getting the hang of & a good brush is important for application. Once you get it down, it is much faster, looks way more natural, and feels so much lighter. I felt like my skin clears faster when it does break out too.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried Retina A, long time ago and it made me really red and dry. I stuck it out and used it for about 6 months. I did see a slight improvement while on it but only temporarily like everything else.

Then I switched to the Diffferin gel because it's gentler and has about the same effect on me.

I'll be posting again after I receive my minerals and start playing with them :)

I am off to my derm now and going to have a long heart to heart this time instead of just walking in chatting for 5 minutes and then leaving with a couple scripts that do nothing. I've shceduled a 45 minute appointment this time to make sure we have time to cover all my questions and options.

Wish me luck!

Good luck with your dermatology appointment! I hope you've written all your questions down so you won't forget to ask them. It's so easy to do in the midst of an appointment. Good luck. :D