Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
subbcow

21 years old and still hating winter!

I just turned 21 and I have my acne under pretty good control. My pores are a little bigger than I'd like them to be, but I stopped having bad breakouts and I've been able to deal with the pimples I do get rather quickly.

Well the weather's cold now and my face just feels terrible. I don't like smiling because it feels like I'm stretching the hell out of my face if I haven't put lotion on in the morning. That's not really a problem - if I feel my skin being too taut, I just apply lotion in the morning.

My problem is that my skin has started REALLY drying out. I am using Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, but my skin is SO flaky, and unless I "rub" off the dead skin with my fingers, I can't put makeup on without making the flaky parts super noticeable. It does this every year, I can see the patches where the dead skin is. It is darker splotches that will rub off. I don't like scrubbing my face because it turns really red afterward, and it seems like when I rub my face with my fingers in the shower, it encourages pimples.

I wash my face using the extra gentle cleanser, I use on-the-spot on my whole face after I wash it. I've been using o-t-s for years but I started on the EGC about 6 months ago. Does anyone have any advice or even know what I'm talking about? I don't like pulling my hair back because it might show the dead skin areas. It occurs on the "sideburns" area, on my cheeks, and on the areas next to my mouth on both sides. It doesn't occur on my forehead or my chin but it is driving my crazy.

Please help! Is anyone familiar with this? I don't want to just put lotion on it because the dead skin will still be there...

I just turned 21 and I have my acne under pretty good control. My pores are a little bigger than I'd like them to be, but I stopped having bad breakouts and I've been able to deal with the pimples I do get rather quickly.

I hope you get an answer to your question but could you tell me how you deal with the pimples you do get rather quickly?

you need to moisturize regularly, and a heavier moisturizer in the winter. Jojoba oil is really good, you can add a few drops to your moisturizer. I love Dan's moisturizer. Is makes my skin really soft and doesn't make me break out at all. The key is preventing the flakes. Also you can use aha lotion to exfoliate without agrivating the skin.

I had this problem really bad before I switched to Dan's products. I live in Minnesota and it's ridiculously dry. I thought my facewash wash gentle but it was way too drying, and then I was using 5%benzoyl peroxide mixed with something else, also very drying. I was putting on about 5-10 layers of moisturizer/day and it wasn't helping.

Dan's facewash is 10X better, and his BP and moisturizer are really good too. I've also been using an exfoliating scrub for sensitive skin (I think it's St Ives) every night and I'm looking much better. The weird wrinkles I had are fading a bit and my face looks more like skin than a desert.