Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lilly83

My differin journey...

Okay, so here's my story. I'm 25 and a few months ago I started breaking out with a ton of blackheads and whiteheads all over my face. I wasn't getting a lot of inflammatory acne but my face looked really rough and when I did get an inflamed pimple or cyst, it seemed to last forever and scar really bad.

Saw a dermatologist and she put me on differin 0.1 cream at night and clindoxyl (not sure on the spelling - I think its the same thing as duac) just as a spot treatment in the morning.

Weeks 1-2: Skin was crazy dry!! Used Cetaphil moisturizer and started using the Spectro gel cleanser for sensitive skin which seemed to help with the dryness. Thought my skin looked a little smoother but hard to tell.

Weeks 3: The initial breakout begins... Seriously, overnight my skin seemed to get 100X worse, especially on my forehead where my normal little blackheads turned into big pimples.

Weeks 4-5: Skin still purging. I could feel these big hard bumps under my skin all over my face. Still getting inflamed pimples but noticed that they were healing faster.

Week 6-7: Skin not quite as rough, bumps under the skin seemed smaller. Chin and jawline seem smoother than in a long time. But then I broke out on my cheeks again and I felt like I was back to square one.

Week 8 (now): Amazing the difference a week makes - cheeks have started to clear up beautifully - even scars are a lot lighter. Unfortunately forehead has now broken out a little more but hoping it clears up like the rest of my face. Seems like my skin may have needed a second purging period before it finally improved.

I'll keep posting with my progress!

im glad to hear your skin is improving! i have been on differin and clindamycin for about 5 months and my skin is now clear. i didnt have a bad IB because i was on clindamycin for years so ithink that prevented it. my derm told me you wont have really good results until three months so it should only be getting better from here for you! good luck!

Week 9:

A few more blackheads have come to the surface along my jawline and on my forehead but only two new pimples. Still waiting for some old pimples to heal on my forehead. Overall not doing too bad but hoping to see more improvement over the next few weeks.

Week 10 (well more like 10 and a half)

Bit of a hormonal breakout this week which has kind of sucked. Left some red marks that I'm hoping will fade soon. However, I actually think my forehead is starting to get smoother. With a little makeup it's actually not too bad...

Hi Lily, I'm also 25 and I am on week 10 of using differin. The only major improvement I've seen in the past few weeks has been my forehead, I never used to get many pimples there but I did during the IB period. My chin is still a mess tho - its driving me crazy - I had to spend new year at a party with loads of mates with inflammed pimples on my chin. :( I think its gonna take longer than 12 weeks to see any improvement in that area. I'm waiting for a derms appointment and when I get to actually go, I think I'm gonna beg to get out on accutane - I want my acne gone for good!

I used Duac for a while and saw good results but had to stop as it was way too harsh on my sensitive skin, it majorly dried my face out and made my lips all sore and swollen.

Okay so I guess this is now week 12. Not totally clear as I hoped to be by now but doing pretty well...

Here's a summary of where I am now:

Chin, cheeks, nose: Look fantastic! Few little blackheads but overall major improvements.

Jawline: still a few small pimples but not horrible

Forehead: week 12 seemed to push a bunch of clogged pores to the surface, not really inflamed but just kind of bumpy. Again, not horrible and still an improvement over my IB period. I'm hoping this is just some of the deeply clogged pores finally unclogging and I'll see some major clearing there soon.

I agree with ace guy that 12 weeks may not be quite enough for some of the tough areas...

Hey guys, currently in the midst of week 12 and things are remarkably improved, my skin is looking much better, not totally there yet but definately in the right direction. :dance:

:) Im also around 12 weeks... starting with week 13 today. I can also say that things are going in the right direction, but I have some red marks left that I would really like to see gone soon, and those small bumps under my skin Ive also still got a couple of.

Im still on my first Differin tube, wondering how long it will last for, Im actually quite impressed.

Are you guys also taking vitamin supplements?

I'm also starting week 13 as of today - how wierd is that lol!

Week 12 was great for me but I've just broke out today, could feel them coming as of yesterday. :(

Supplements I'm on are Omega fish oils, vit C, B5, echinacea

Sorry to hear you're breaking out again ace guy, hopefully it won't last long. In the last couple days I noticed that the bumps under my skin seemed to be going down but then I woke up yesterday with a nasty cyst on my forehead so I'm kinda bummed about that.

To Bokkie, I actually just started taking multi-vitamins last week. I figure that it couldn't hurt. And I'm also still on my first tube of differin, it does seem to last forever!

Anyway, its great to hear from people at the same stage of treatment as me :) Hopefully we'll all be clearing up soon!

Hmm, I realize I didn't post last week so its now week 14. I'm happy to report that I currently have no active pimples! Yay! Still have a few red marks/scars and still have some little blackheads and clogged pores (mostly on my forehead) but feeling like my skin is much more manageable. Hoping that things continue to improve from here...

Hey Lilly, glad to hear you are making progress! Those red marks can be such a pain huh!

I am coming to the end of week 14 and currently my face is good.... I only had one spot during the week but it scabbed over and healed quite quickly thankfully. I think differin is making by breakouts less and less frequent - either that or its diet related. I still eat a dairy free diet and the last time I broke out badly was a coupla weeks ago right after I had cooked 5 eggs for breakfast so I'm thinking the eggs coulda been the reason for that.

Lilly, cool to hear you are doing so great! :) Keep us posted!

The start of week 15 hey? :) Sigh but last week I had 3 new biggish ones... :( and the one right on my forehead... I felt like such a freak :( But the rest of skin is now slowly loosing that red look and the skin is healing slowly but surely.

Ace guy, I also read somewhere else on the forum eggs is not that desirable for the skin, but I really wonder why, for me its a very nice source of protein, would be sad to have to cut my egg intake. I eat about 6 eggs a week, so hopefully its not that much that it would cause acne issues?

Hey Bokkie, yeah I like eggs for their protein content too - I haven't had any for a coupla weeks, it was 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg that I had. I think I might try 2 or 3 soon to test if out they have any effect but I'm enjoying having relatively good skin at the moment.

Apparently eggs contain lots of iodine which some say can contribute to breakouts. I'll let you know how I get on when I'm brave enough! :)

Week 16!!! :)

Lilly and Ace Guy, how are you guys doing?

For the past two days, my skin is very very dry... But Im keeping up my simple regimen, sticking to it like glue on paper! :)

No new breakouts for the past 5 days or so, but the days before that I got 3 new ones, but glad to report, they are almost gone already. :)

Hey Bokkie, it sounds like you are making progress - keep sticking to your regime, things can only get better!

My skin is looking OK, I'm not completely satisfied yet.... I've got a couple of pimples on the go right now, although mostly under the surface. One next to my bottom lip hasn't come to a ahead and seems to be going away completely. I now have a larger one brewing below that on my chin, it feels big and I think its just full of oil, I don't know if it will come into a whitehead.

I'm annoyed that I'm breaking out, there might not be many and they may be coming less frequently but I guess I'm disappointed I'm not more improved.

I finally have an appointment to see the derm a week tomorrow. I wonder what they are going to say... by then I will have been on differin for a full 4 months. Maybe they will bump me up to 0.03% or another retinoid, accutane.... who knows? <_<

Week 16 and doing pretty good :) I had one pimple show up on my chin but it went away pretty quickly and it wasn't one of the hard cystic ones that I normally get. Pretty impressive considering I'm super stressed with school right now, which I thought was going to mess up my skin for sure.

Still dealing with red mark and blackhead issues but I'm seeing some improvement - my forehead hasn't looked this good in a long time.

Bokkie, I've noticed my skin has been really dry lately too (although today it's not as bad). Don't know what's up with that but as long as I'm not breaking out I'm happy.

Lilly83 and Ace Guy,

:cry:

Week 17 and I am having such a bad week :( My whole face is inflamed, everything burns, cetaphil burns, differin burns, running and the sweat burns like fire.... My whole face is red and swollen.... sigh.... I am getting so depressed, and Im really crying to much..... :(

Maybe its time to go to the derm again....

(sorry for blasting of such a negative post)

Bokkie (Cindy)

Hey Bokkie, sorry to hear that, have you figured out what has caused it or has it subsided yet? I hope things have got better for you by now.

For me, things are going OK, no real breakout for a while now, any new pimples have pretty much stayed under the surface. I went to the derm last week and told me to continue with differin for now and stop taking mino. They took blood while I was there and will reassess me in 3 months, with accutane still a possibilty depending on how my skin is.

Hey Ace Guy! Glad to hear things are going ok for you!

Today I feel a lot better emotionaly. I spend nearly the whole of yesterday reading up on zinc supplements, then I started reading on copper toxicity and then I came upon some stuff on the mirena birth control Im on, and what I find? Acne is the number one side affect of the mirena, but only been on their web apparently for the last 2 years or so, and Ive been on the mirena for over 8 years now. It looks like cos of the mirena I have to much copper in me, causing all my zinc to deplete and the acne to come. It does make sense doesnt it? So... the mirena is going to go asap and Ive started on a high dosage of zinc, and some A and D (read posts by Databased, very interesting).

No more differin as of yesterday, jip I have stopped. I need to sort out my hormones and other imblances first, then we will see and try again. Back to basics and fixing the problem from the inside out.

Good luck with the Differin, you and Lilly! :)

And straight after I posted the above post, I did a search on Acne.org for Mirena, seems like Im not the only one with a Mirena / Acne combination problem.

Pray for me please, if this is my issue then at least I see a solution in the future, a light at the end of the tunnel... :)

Hey Bokkie,

Sorry to hear you aren't doing well. Hopefully you can figure out what's going on. Have you talked to your derm about the Mirena? I'm sorry the differin didn't work out for you. For me progress has been really slow but the its definitely making a difference.

Right now my skin is pretty good. A couple really tiny pimples but otherwise just my usual blackheads (although I picked at a few which was a big mistake so now waiting for a few spots to heal).