Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
webbie

Is it ok to use Mandelic Acid after having 3 IPLs?

Hello,

About 8 weeks ago, I had my 3rd IPL and 2nd use of the Vbeam laser. I've been using a generic, gentle cleanser, toner and moisturizer ever since then and about 10 days after the 3rd IPL my derm prescribed Vanoxide to help spot treat any new breakouts. The Vanoxide has done an ok job of clearing up any new breakouts but it is drying and I'd like to go back on a skin system to not only treat my hormonal mild acne but also help with smoothing out the texture of my skin.

Since I've been told and I have read that the collagen is stimulated for many months after IPL, is it safe to use mandelic acid on my skin 8 weeks after having 3 IPLs? I tolerated Vanoxide (5% bp with hydrocortisone) on my skin fine just 10 days after having my 3rd IPL. I just bought the NuCelle product and I want to use the NuCelle cleanser, toner, 10% serum and moisturizer to help smooth my skin, reduce oilyness and reduce mild breakouts.

Oh and a dermatologist recommended that I use Retin-A Micro to help smooth my skin texture and control mild acne, but I am scared of the initial breakout period and scared about Retin-A turning my skin red. I've been told I may have mild rosacea and I had these 3 IPLs to reduce redness and broken capillaries so I want to try NuCelle first to see if this works since I"ve red that it's gentle for sensitive, oily, acne prone skin like mine. If this doesn't work then I will try the Retin-A.

So I figure if my skin has been tolerating Vanoxide then mandelic acid on my skin after IPLs should be ok right?

Thanks.

I'm assuming you already went over all this with your derm and he knows about the IPL and laser treatments, or your derm provided the treatments? If not, that's the first place to start.

I'm undergoing laser treatments as well and my derm is the one who pioneered both the lasers and mandelic acid. His recommendation is using the mandelic acid he's given me after my skin has rebounded from each laser treatment. IOW, I use the mandelic acid serum a few days after my skin has settled down from the laser. Hope that makes sense.

BTW, what is Vanoxide? I know it contains oxygen, but is it like BP?

Vanoxide is 5% benzoyl peroxide with hydrocortisone. It works well on any pimples that I get but I can only use it once a day or I get dry and I'd rather use a skin care system that will prevent pimples in the first place, not just spot treat when I get pimples like I'm doing now. Up until I had 3 IPLs I was using Proactiv for many years with success, BUT it made my face somewhat red and did dry me out sometimes.

A dermatologist did the IPLs and Vbeam laser treatments on me but I am seeing a different dermatologist right now. I asked my current derm about using Nucelle/mandelic acid and he wasn't familiar with it either way. My current derm recommended using Retin-A which I will try as a second option if the NuCelle doesn't work for me. I guess if he recommended Retin-A then using something like Mandelic Acid should be fine. And it's interesting that you mentioned your dr said you can use the Mandelic Acid serum after laser treatments. How long after the laser treatment can you use it?

I am going to use the NuCelle cleanser, toner, moisturizer and 10% serum. The directions on the package state that my skin should start to improve within the first week but it is a slow process and to be patient and stick with it. Some members on this board have said they had an initial breakout from using NuCelle from the skin purging but then it settled down and continued to improve. Did you have an initial breakout from using the Mandelic Acid serum?

Thanks for your reply.

Hello,

About 8 weeks ago, I had my 3rd IPL and 2nd use of the Vbeam laser. I've been using a generic, gentle cleanser, toner and moisturizer ever since then and about 10 days after the 3rd IPL my derm prescribed Vanoxide to help spot treat any new breakouts. The Vanoxide has done an ok job of clearing up any new breakouts but it is drying and I'd like to go back on a skin system to not only treat my hormonal mild acne but also help with smoothing out the texture of my skin.

Since I've been told and I have read that the collagen is stimulated for many months after IPL, is it safe to use mandelic acid on my skin 8 weeks after having 3 IPLs? I tolerated Vanoxide (5% bp with hydrocortisone) on my skin fine just 10 days after having my 3rd IPL. I just bought the NuCelle product and I want to use the NuCelle cleanser, toner, 10% serum and moisturizer to help smooth my skin, reduce oilyness and reduce mild breakouts.

Oh and a dermatologist recommended that I use Retin-A Micro to help smooth my skin texture and control mild acne, but I am scared of the initial breakout period and scared about Retin-A turning my skin red. I've been told I may have mild rosacea and I had these 3 IPLs to reduce redness and broken capillaries so I want to try NuCelle first to see if this works since I"ve red that it's gentle for sensitive, oily, acne prone skin like mine. If this doesn't work then I will try the Retin-A.

So I figure if my skin has been tolerating Vanoxide then mandelic acid on my skin after IPLs should be ok right?

Thanks.