Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MimiR

how long before spiro starts to work

I am an adult female who is 45 and have suffered with acne since age 16. I have been on spiro now for about 4 weeks and am on 50mg daily. I was just wondering for those of you who have been on it, how long before you started noticing a difference and at what mg dosage did you notice a difference? I have been on everything known to man. And I literally mean that. I've done the accutane thing, at least 4-5 different times, so many other things we'd be here all night and day. No luck yet. My derm recommended I try this. So I am gonna give it a shot. I was reluctant at first, because I have a system now that is extremely sensitive to any knew thing I take, prescription or non-prescription due to an allergic reaction from an IV antibiotic I had been given 2 years ago that nearly killed me. So when it comes to meds, I am super gunshy. I don't like taking anything unless it's a must. I'd love to hear all your suggestions and success and advice on the subject.

For me it took about six months to see the full effects of spiro. After six months my skin was never oily anymore and my acne had completely cleared up. Hope that helps :)

For me it took about six months to see the full effects of spiro. After six months my skin was never oily anymore and my acne had completely cleared up. Hope that helps :)

Thanks for your response. I have only been on it now for almost 4 weeks. I know I am not very patient, but I see the Dr. again this week. How many mg. were you on?

Thanks for your response. I have only been on it now for almost 4 weeks. I know I am not very patient, but I see the Dr. again this week. How many mg. were you on?

I'm on 50 mg right now. I took me about two months to notice a decrease in oil and about four months to notice a major decrease in acne. Then at six months everything was clear and there was a drastic reduction in the amount of oil produced throughout the day.

I've been on 100 mg for 2 months now and I'm still really oily with very large pores...is it normal?

I have absolutely no results... My endo told me to try spiro 100 mg a day and if I don't see any change after 3 months, it is because it's not a good medication for me...

I have already noticed a decrease in the oil production even at just 4 weeks. I am on 50mg. I am sure I will have to have that increased to actually see a big diffrenece in the acne though. Even at my age--45, you wouldn't believe how oily my skin is. And I thought for sure this is something I would have"outgrown" by now. But that didn't happen. I am the type of person that wants to see something work pretty quickly. And I can usually tell within a week or two if something I am using or taking is going to help or not. So with my having already seen a decrease in the oiliness, I am going to stick it out for several more months in hopes that it will also help the acne. I have seen a ton of great reviews on the spiro helping a lot of people. So that has given me great incintive to hang in there. I know a month on this is not really long enough. I am still very interested in reading everyones updates and how it is helping you. So please keep the posts coming.

I'm 53 and I took Spiro for several years, but it did give me headaches probably due to the fact it lowers blood pressure, as far as acne I only still suffer from blackheads and I did not have any on spiro, it definately dries out the skin, sometimes, my hands were very dried out, so was my hair, I finally had to stop taking it since I just was not feeling well and I missed my long hair. I hope it works for you.

How many mgs. were you on? I have only been on it for just barely over 4 weeks now. I saw my dr. last week and she wants me to go up to the 100 mg from the 50 mg. I don't know if I am gonna be able to take the 100 mg though. I tried it for a few days after I saw her and felt horrible. My blood pressure is fine. I just did not feel good at all. I have noticed less oily skin than I have had. But my skin is extremely oily and has been my whole life. So I am not extremely dried out. I am a little dry, but not enough to hurt. How long before you noticed a difference in your acne? I know I haven't been on it long enough yet. I am very impatient. I am gonna try and stick it out for at least 6 months to see if I can tell difference enough to continue on with it. Thanks for your reply. If you can think of anything else please let me know.

I'm 53 and I took Spiro for several years, but it did give me headaches probably due to the fact it lowers blood pressure, as far as acne I only still suffer from blackheads and I did not have any on spiro, it definately dries out the skin, sometimes, my hands were very dried out, so was my hair, I finally had to stop taking it since I just was not feeling well and I missed my long hair. I hope it works for you.

My oil production was immediately reduced. I could never adapt to the dehydration although my doctor claims the diuretic effect is supposed to go away. But anytime I tried taking 100mgs, I could immediately go a week without washing my hair. As opposed to 2-3 days.

It's supposed to take a long time to change hair growth, and I didn't stick that out. Mint tea is actually helping a great deal with that though. Hairs on my chin and shins have become a lot less coarse and easier to manage. I suppose it's less coarse everywhere else, but those are the two places I dealt with on a daily basis and can definitely see the difference.

I just bought Spiro today (50mg--2 pills daily) and I'm nervous about taking it. My acne is finally moderate now and I'm worried that Spiro is one of those medicines that makes your skin worse before it makes it better.

Also, how frequently do you urinate while on this medication? I do have a job that doesn't allow for many bathroom breaks since my work schedule is hectic.

How common is hair loss while taking spiro? I love my hair and I don't want to go bald!

Lastly, if spiro makes your skin completely clear after x months, then do you have to keep taking it in order to maintain the clear skin or can you stop taking it when you reach this point? Thanks for your help and I hope everyone gets clear skin soon! :)

My derm recently upped my dosage to the 100 mgs daily but I was unable to take it. I began not feeling well and had to go in to see my family dr. I actually just got out of the hospital 3 days ago. I began having chest pains and irregular heart rhythm. She immediately took me off of the Spiro. This can be a side effect of the spiro(heart problems). I am evidently one of the ones it does affect. I hope it works ok for you. I know it has helped many people, but it's not something I can continue on. As for me, it didn't make me worse. Of course I only got to take it about 6 weeks. I noticed a great reduction in oiliness. You do go to the bathroom frequently. No noticeable effects with my hair. From what I have read up on it and been told, you will have to continue on it.Which to me, doesen't seem to safe in the long term. After all it does mess with you hormones and your potassium and electrolytes in your system. This came directly from my doctor. I didn't have this problem, but know it can do this. I wanted this to be my cure all. Unfortunately, because of the heart issues I can't take it and don't want to risk it again. Let me know how it works for you.

Mimi

I just bought Spiro today (50mg--2 pills daily) and I'm nervous about taking it. My acne is finally moderate now and I'm worried that Spiro is one of those medicines that makes your skin worse before it makes it better.

Also, how frequently do you urinate while on this medication? I do have a job that doesn't allow for many bathroom breaks since my work schedule is hectic.

How common is hair loss while taking spiro? I love my hair and I don't want to go bald!

Lastly, if spiro makes your skin completely clear after x months, then do you have to keep taking it in order to maintain the clear skin or can you stop taking it when you reach this point? Thanks for your help and I hope everyone gets clear skin soon! :)

Janic,

50mg is a smaller dose compared to what most women find successful. I am prescribed 150mg and I will still get an occaisional pimple. If I take 200 (which I try to do but I push the limit with my insurance company on a refill) my face is completely clear.

I haven't noticed hairloss (and I have long hair), but I do think it breaks easier now that it is drier. I used to HAVE to wash my hair everyday before spiro. Now I try to go 3 days before I wash it and it never looks oily.

I think if you take your spiro all at once at night, you wont notice side effects as much during the day. Most of the minor side effects I had initially went away about the same time my skin started clearing (3 months). Drink LOTS of water and stand up slowly if you are kneeling.

It helps to be on a antibiotic (I used erythromycin) if you start to get an initial outbreak. I had one, but I was also starting up Retin A again at the same time. It was more like my skin was purging, not really new stuff. The erythro kept it from getting ugly.

Good luck! And enjoy your bigger boobs too!

Thanks for your replies!

MimiR,

I am really sorry to hear about the heart problems you had while taking Spiro. It sounds really awful! These days I only get pimples when I have my period, so I'm debating whether it's worth it to take Spiro. I don't want to take it forever because medication really isn't good for your body in the longterm.

I wish you the best of luck in getting clear skin. I know how awful it feels to have acne. I do have a solution (sort of) to your dilemma. This will not take care of the source of your acne since your acne is hormonal, but it will reduce the acne. When I had severe acne, I got rid of it by applying a dab of lemon juice to the acne, but only to the acne (lemon juice has a drying effect). I also drank water mixed with a few drops of lemon juice (no sugar). My acne went down about 25% in a month. I continued this regimen for 6 months and now I only get acne during my period. I still have the post-acne inflammation though, which will go away eventually. I just wished I knew how to permanently alter my hormones...

mylimage,

Well, since I'm taking two 50mg pills, then that really is 100mg of spiro daily. Thank you very much for your responses! You get bigger boobs from this? Really? Does the increase in size last as long as you take spiro or does the size increase still remain even if you quit? I like this side effect! :D

I would love to take it at night, but I'm worried about feeling sleep deprived due to the frequent bathroom breaks. Also, my doc specifically told me to take it in the morning and with food (food helps with the dizziness and nausea supposedly).

I've heard that Spiro can cause irregular periods. Right now I don't experience any menstrual cramps whatsoever. I know Spiro can mess with the number of days that you're on your period, but can it cause someone to have menstrual cramps even if they didn't previously experience them before?

Janic,

I misread your post with your dosage-sorry. I can't argue with your dr if he tells you to take it in the morning. I just know that I played around with mine and I pee a lot less if I take it at night. I probably get up twice to pee, but I fall back to sleep easily. During the day the more more active I am the less dizzy I get.

When I first went on Spiro, I don't think I got my period for a while. Then I spotted. A lot. Annoying, but my face was clear- so what. I don't spot anymore and periods are normal and light. I haven't had a single period cramp since going on spiro (another benefit for me). The bigger boobs seem have stuck around.

Janic,

I misread your post with your dosage-sorry. I can't argue with your dr if he tells you to take it in the morning. I just know that I played around with mine and I pee a lot less if I take it at night. I probably get up twice to pee, but I fall back to sleep easily. During the day the more more active I am the less dizzy I get.

When I first went on Spiro, I don't think I got my period for a while. Then I spotted. A lot. Annoying, but my face was clear- so what. I don't spot anymore and periods are normal and light. I haven't had a single period cramp since going on spiro (another benefit for me). The bigger boobs seem have stuck around.

That's good to hear. I've taken Spiro for one day so far and I've only peed one more time than usual. The big boob side effect sounds awesome and I can't wait to see if the same happens for me :)

Whether my doctor likes it or not, I will quit Spiro once my skin is clear because I really don't like taking medications long-term and I don't want my body to become dependent on it.

The acne will probably come back if you get clear with spiro and then quit. I am not aware of anyone going off of it and staying clear.

I just started also. I don't understand why people have an initial breakout from this? It is just supposed to stop you from producing testosterone....its not making you produce MORE testosterone at any time, which in turn causes acne. I wouldn't think you would get an IB from this and my derm said I wouldn't, but I guess we will see.

I started spirolactone on Jan 11 and now I don't have any pimples! I haven't noticed any side effects, except drowsiness. Despite my pimples being gone, my skin isn't what I would call clear since it still has the post-acne inflammation red marks, but those seem to be gradually fading.

I just started Spiro yesterday....I have hormonal acne and the derm put me on Yaz, Spiro and Ziana gel....I am scared of the gel just yet, she said to wait 2 months and if I'm not completely clear, then move on to the gel....

So far no side effects for me,

I'm scared of tretinoids after reading posts here, lol, but I do have whiteheads and I will probably have to do it sooner or later...

Hopefully no initial breakout from Spiro :pray:

I am a male on spiro for about 6 weeks now. I think my acne got a little worse, but I'm not worried because I hear it can get worse before it gets better.