Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
daveoh

Hard, waxy plugs

I'm not quite sure where this belongs, since these sometimes end up not being inflamed, but here's how I can describe them. Sometimes I'll get a large pimple that eventually dies down, but never quite goes away. There will be a bump left. If the top of it dries and flakes away, I'll see a plug in the middle of it (usually looks like a big blackhead), which ends up being quite hard. Often I'll have to get a pair of tweezers, and carefully pull it out, because it usually balloons out down below, so I have to go slow to get it all out. Now, once I get the big plug out, it heals up nicely. So, how do you get rid of these plugs without resorting to this? Better yet, how do you keep them from forming? I can't squeeze them out (Lord knows I've tried), but the only way to finally get rid of them seems to be tweezing them out. They'll usually resemble a small grain of rice, and either tan or white in color. I suppose this is the dead skin plug that started the whole thing, but sometimes they are white, like the pus solidified. Anyway, they are annoying to say the least because no amount of BP or other topical treatments seem to get rid of them. They'll stick around for weeks, but once I "pull the plug" they go away quickly.

Yes! I have this same problem! LOL i know thats not the answer you were looking for, but at least you know that you are not alone!

I, too, have this problem. They often present like milia, which I understand to be very topical and non-acneic. However, these appear to begin much deeper in my skin whereas milia are just under the skin. I started on a regimen of aczone gel and doxycycline both 2x daily. My skin has been purging for 6 weeks now, and I have had a number of these plugs appear. I keep picking at them much to my dermatologist's dismay but I find the bumps and irritation won't go away until I extract these things. The derm keeps looking at me like I am crazy but when I read about and talk to the dr. about different types of acne, my acne really doesn't fit into any of these categories. I have resigned myself to the fact that until all of these things work their way out, my skin will be worse off than it was before I went on these meds. I am hoping they will finally purge and then my skin will heal. I am also going to have a peel to help speed up the skin turnover and exfoliation but who knows if this will solve the problem. Anyone else have any insight as to what these things are and how to best deal with them?

These are not milia ... they are comedones. Best topical treatments, imo, are topical retinoids (which purge the pores), salicylic acid, or mandelic acid (these exfoliate within the pores).

Many people find a combination of salicylic acid and retinoids extremely effective.

See my pinned post at the top of the forum.

Guest missyjean130

I occasionally get this...in fact,I had this very thing happen to me today.

I had a zit on my cheek and it looked like the blackhead got pushed to the surface.Isn't that your bodies strategy to get rid of plugs? To purge the plug out by forming a zit?

Anyways,I don't know if this was a bad idea,but I took tweezers to the blackhead and just pulled it out...Then the pus flowed out freely.I cleaned it off and put petroleum jelly over it to protect it.

I normally don't pick or squeeze...but I decided to make an exception for this...Is this bad? I didn't squeeze it or nothin'... and it's sanitary =(

The zit is now healing up nicely.

I know it's been a long time since anyone posted in this thread but if you are still having the same problem with these things that look like a grain of rice, do a search on "demodex". These are tiny mites that inhabit just about all of our faces and usually we do not notice them there. But for some of us, they become quite prolific and cause what seems to be acne. It is totally gross but even many dermatologists do not consider this when evaluating. So far, for me, treatments are not working. It is making me crazy.

trying to resurect this topic but I dont seem to be getting anywhere...Im wondering what topicals kill demodex(Im thinking tea tree oil) and if these constant milia type whiteheads will ever stop