Notifications
Clear all

My cystic acne is no longer.

MemberMember
(@lily80)

Posted : 12/12/2008 9:32 pm

I posted this same post in the introductions section. I just thought I would post it here as well. I am 28 and for several years suffered (and I mean suffered) with horrible cystic acne. I was told it was adult acne and no doctor took it seriously and tried different antibiotics,topicals, microdermabrasion, green light therapy, chemical peels. You name it, I've tried it....except for accutane...that's pretty much it! I finally persisted and found out I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. (It can cause acne among other problems.) After being on Spironolactone & Metformin for just three months my acne started disappearing. I went from have at least 5 new cysts a day to no new cysts. Its now 2 years later and I still continue taking the meds, but I have maybe all of 6 cystic pimples TOTAL since those first 3 months. I am left with horrible scarring and horrible pigmentation problems.(Oddly, I developed facial redness towards the end of my acne struggle, as well, and I still have it....doctors don't know if it is rosacea or malar rash of lupus....which i don't officially have a lupus diagnosis...doctors are suspecting it. Anywho...would love to know if anybody has had any success with treating overall facial redness. I wish the doctors or I could have figured out my Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome diagnosis when I first got acne. With Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, women tend to be overweight and have irregular periods. I was neither (I weigh 105 pounds)and I think that is why it was missed for so long. PCOS IS A MAJORLY UNDERDIAGNOSED SYNDROME. I have learned so much about acne and want to be able to help people. I don't know much info for the guys, but I know what blood tests you should have etc, if you are a girl. Spironolactone can help even if you don't have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)! If antibiotics and accutane haven't helped you, Spironolactone should be looked into. If anybody wants any info, please let me know! I truly want to help anyone I can....I've been sick for many years with horrible fatigue, hair loss, joint problems, etc. which don't seem to be related to my PCOS and may be possible Lupus ...all of which have been horrible, but I swear none of the compare to the pain of dealing with cystic acne and the face scars its left behind. You're not being vain, trust me. "non-acne" sufferers just don't understand. I should have posted my success years back, but oh well, now I just want to help as many people as I can...I don't want anyone to go through what I've gone through and am going through with my scars that I should have never had to deal with.

MemberMember
(@fa4you)

Posted : 12/13/2008 1:03 am

I am on third month of Accutane and i see no improvement. I am getting lots of nodules and pimples on my face. My derma says hv patience. Accutane would eventually work for me and the total time is generally 3-6 months. I got cystic acne after using a cream for 4 months and later i found out that the cream to remove black marks had 5% mercury in it.

MemberMember
(@lindsw7)

Posted : 12/15/2014 10:06 pm

Thanks for sharing! Can you tell me more about what blood test you recommend?

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 12/16/2014 6:43 am

I asked to be tested for PCOS by a gynecologist but he said all my tests came back fine... Could I still have it even though they couldn't see it by those blood tests? I'm not that big, 115 lbs, and I was probably around 100 lbs when I got tested. I don't think I have facial hair, but I could have a little that is blond but not really visible. I do have irregular periods, and have had those my whole life and they have been painful too. Now, they aren't as bad but I think I'm just getting used to it. I have some more symptoms too.