Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kreit11

Which one to exfoliate with? baking soda vs toothbrush method

Currently I am trying out the water only/no washing method (usually wash my face once every 2 days when I wash my hair) and I want to exfoliate once a week to get rid of dead skin/speed up the healing of red marks. I'm wondering whether I should exfoliate with baking soda or the toothbrush method. If I use the toothbrush method I will very gently wash my face with it with lukewarm water, which is chemical free. The baking soda will chemically help me get rid of the flakes and aid sloughing off the skin.

Now I'm not sure which one would be better to use. Some say it's better to use baking soda to gently exfoliate the dead skin without scrubbing because scrubbing is bad for the face. But people who use the toothbrush method say as long as you don't scrub your face off with the toothbrush (just very gently massage the top layer) it will get rid of the dead skin with no irritation. Right now I'm leaning more towards the toothbrush method as it is chemical free and it would seem more fitting for my regimen.

Any of you guys have some feedback or idea of which one would probably be better? Advice would be appreciated.

Baby’s hair brush Baking soda is alkaline; the skin is acidic and is supposed to be acidic to maintain optimal health. Baking soda will damage the skin's acid mantle.

The key to baby's hair brush exfoliating is: be GENTLE! :)