Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
E17

Is this ACNE or ALLERGY?

OK my face is so bad now... i hate my life atm and i really wanna end this shit. Before i got severe like this, i had moderate acne, and i had it pretty much under control.

But in september this year something happened, and now i am like this..

I am on Accutan now (26. day) and my face REALLY HURTS!! it also itches like hell! Thats why i wonder what it can be. Maybe an allergy? and what? I have never heard about acne that is this itchy.. i really wanna get some post on this topic, cause im desperate now!! please.

-Depressed seventeen that skips school almost every day now...:(

post-87756-1229117691_thumb.jpg

post-87756-1229117872_thumb.jpg

post-87756-1229117691_thumb.jpg

post-87756-1229117872_thumb.jpg

do you eat lots of dairy?

you could try cutting out the "typical" allergies from your diet.

nuts.

dairy.

soy.

glutten.

etc.

Im not a severe dairy eater. A yoghurt from time to time, but nothing more.

From what i know, im not allergic to any of those, and my diet is normally healthy (never eat candy, drinkin soda etc.)

What i think is so weird is that i got all this in under a month (though its a littlebit worse because of my accutane treatment) and that my face is itchin' so much. It's driving me nuts.

But do you think it looks like an allergy or just bad acne?

Looks like acne. Good job going on accutane. Most people experience at least some dryness when taking it. A friend of mine was on that and it entirely cured her acne...hers was mod-severe. It takes a little while though but in most people it will at least improve their acne, if not get rid of it altogether. Be patient, and good luck.

It is severe acne. consult a dermatologist. don't be ur own doctor. u will end up spoiling ur own face. Accutane usually is recommended in certain mg for each skin along with other oral tablets and appropriate creams to apply on face. plz plz consult a derma else it would get worse. accutane works but when prescribed with other stuff and it does take time.

consult a dermatologist

Anybody know if this can be acne Conglobata or acne Fulminans? i mean, since its so itchy? I really hope its just severe/mod-severe, but please tell me the truth if you guys know what it is

I had severe acne that was very itchy. It felt like having poison ivy on top of acne. It was hot to the touch, too. I don't know if it was any more than that, though. Have you mentioned this symptom to your doctor? Try, if you haven't. You could have something more complicated going on.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I have dealt with similar acne in the past and it has started to clear up. Hang in there!!

Marc

Hey there! I just wanna say that my face used to be the same with the itching and even hot to the touch. What the problem was is that I wasn't moisturizing my face with good products. I was using Lubriderm, but it didn't moisturize so much as it just made my face more greasy. So i think, especially with being on accutane, you should try some different moisturizers if you haven't already.

What I use now is Aloette Clarifying Moisture and the Visible Aid. They both work pretty well :lol:

ok I went to my derm today, and i asked him to take some tests and stuff. A big dissapointment for me was that he said he was sure I've got acne conglobata.. Thats not exactly what i wanted to hear. He ALSO said that it shouldn't be a problem "healing" it with accutane(that im currently on right now), because there are different(types/conditions) of acne conglobata.

↓

Is this TRUE?

This link doesn't mention types of acne conglobata (neither do any of the sites I did a quick google search on), but has a lot of info about it that you might find useful.

sometimes it is allergy...it is said that everyone has sinis but its a matter of fact if it is severe or not...please correct me if im wrong...and some times...if your skin is itchy it means u have used something that irritated your skin or ate some thing that your allergic too...and sometimes allergy can trigger acne...so be careful and always eat healthy and if you do decide to prescribe any type of medication do remember to ask your doctors or dermatologist's advice first okay??

:)never give up!

thank you so much for answers and help everybody. My derm said he was sure there is no allergy in this case, and i have to believe that. even though i think he should run some tests for proof

do you eat lots of dairy?

you could try cutting out the "typical" allergies from your diet.

nuts.

dairy.

soy.

glutten.

etc.

Im not a severe dairy eater. A yoghurt from time to time, but nothing more.

From what i know, im not allergic to any of those, and my diet is normally healthy (never eat candy, drinkin soda etc.)

What i think is so weird is that i got all this in under a mont

I didn't know I had any allergies either. But it turned out that the cysts I used to get were from eating citrus.

When I went on accutane (which I had to stop because I was allergic) my forehead broke out reall really bad and was so so itchy. I just wanted to get some wire wool and go fucking mental with it. I think it has something to do with the skin being so thin and flaky and the fact that I had a mountain range all over my head stretching and breaking the skin.

There was a girl in school who had acne like yours and it pretty much cleared up on accutane. Sorry you're feeling down but you're already on the right track which is good, I'm sure in a month or two you'll look a lot better.

well thx for replies. I am on another 3 weeks of cortisone tablets because of the siiiick itching that made me crazy, and its sooo much better. Still itches tho, but not so much.

Hope it stays like this when im off cortisone too.

My face is not so red and sore anymore now(probably because of the itching is almost gone) but i hope it's the accutane that's beginning to work for me. When i was told i had acne conglobata i just freaked out. Cause i've read that it can be very hard to treat and stuff. Anyways, if accutane is working for me, how big chance is there that my acne can turn back in this condition(severe) or moderate? i dont care about mild acne

OK my face is so bad now... i hate my life atm and i really wanna end this shit. Before i got severe like this, i had moderate acne, and i had it pretty much under control.

But in september this year something happened, and now i am like this..

I am on Accutan now (26. day) and my face REALLY HURTS!! it also itches like hell! Thats why i wonder what it can be. Maybe an allergy? and what? I have never heard about acne that is this itchy.. i really wanna get some post on this topic, cause im desperate now!! please.

-Depressed seventeen that skips school almost every day now...:(

The reason why you are itchy is because your face needs to hydrate, you need a non-pore clogging moisturizer when you goto bed.. all those bumpies will go down if you continue this. DO NOT USE ACCUTANE, you will dry out your face even more!!!! it is not an allergy it is severe cystic acne. please listen to my advice.

DO NOT USE ACCUTANE, you will dry out your face even more!!!! it is not an allergy it is severe cystic acne. please listen to my advice.

But when the only way i may get rid of the cystic acne is accutane, i cant see any choices

Ahhh, sounds (and looks) like the Accutane initial break-out. I am also currently on Accutane (7 week on 40mg taken twice a day) and just went through a month of hell. I didn't want to leave my house. I hated washing my face because it hurt so bad. I also have terrible itching. It actually wakes me up at night. I think it's from our face drying out. We have dry skin now from the accutane and dry skin itches. It super sucks. Hang in there, I didn't think the zits would stop surfacing, but now I notice that not as many are coming up. From what I have read here on acne.org it seems to take about 3 months to see a noticable improvement. Good luck.

Anyways, if accutane is working for me, how big chance is there that my acne can turn back in this condition(severe) or moderate?

E17,

From what I have read, acne conglobata does have a pretty good chance of reoccurring. However, now that you know what it is, you can jump on it with accutane as soon as it starts to reappear. I found this research article from 1992 out of Germany. Part of the abstract is:

"Twenty patients (21.4 +/- 4.3 years) with extensive acne conglobata affecting the face, chest and back, were treated for a period of six months with isotretinoin (13-cis retinoic acid, 13-cis RA) at a dosage of 1 mg/kg body weight/day (mean daily dose 72.7 +/- 9.8 mg 13-cis RA). In all cases, the acne conglobata cleared up completely. With the exception of symptoms produced by mucocutaneous exsiccation, no side effects were observed; the laboratory parameters were all within normal limits during the anti-acne treatment phase. There was no recurrence of the disease within a period of one year after cessation of treatment (n = 13)."

E17,

Here is a little more that I read from a book called Essentials of Pathophysiology. Some of it is verbatim and some I summarized, but I will quote the whole thing,

"Acne conglobata is a chronic form of acne. Occurs on the back, chest, and buttocks. To a lesser extent it occurs on abdomen, shoulders, face, upper arms and thighs. Comedones have multiple openings. Their discharge is odoriferous. Affected persons have anemia, with increased white blood cell counts, increase erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and increased neutrophil rates. Treatment is difficult and includes debridement, systemic corticosteroids, oral retinoids, and systemic antibiotics."

I'm not sure how science/medicine oriented you are but I just thought I'd write that out in case it was helpful. Increased white blood cells means there is infection present. Increase erythrocyte sedimentation rate is a non specific marker of inflammation.

I read another article about treatment with CO2 laser in conjuction with accutane. The quote mentions debridement, and I think surgical excision of the acne lesions or CO2 laser is what they are referring to.

From what I have read as well, it seems that acne lesions are usually on the back, chest and less so on the face. Or people have them both places.

Are you satisfied with this diagnosis or are you still wondering? I guess the treatment for severe cystic acne and begining treatment of acne conglobata are both accutane. So as far as treatment goes, you don't have to worry about the diagnosis.

At any rate, I bet it will begin to improve soon. It is hard to get a diagnosis that is severe and potentially will reoccur. But, as you continue to improve, I bet it will get easier and this will just become one more thing that us humans have to deal with.

Take care.