Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lucila

Warning MILK & CEREALS- PLEASE GIVE DIET A TRY!

Hi guys I know many of you might already be off dairy products, but I just wanted to share my successful experiment with you all.

I have had acne (moderate to severe at times) non- stop since puberty (I'm now 21), and although Dan's BP regime helped A LOT, I was still getting sudden unexplainable breakouts weekly.

A few months ago I decided there had to be SOMETHING ELSE I could do to help my skin. And so I typed the words "ACNE & DIET" on google and ended up reading a few articles about MILK containing certain hormones that can encourage acne, as well as there being a strong link between acne and CEREALS (all types, and including wheat in general, so most types of bread), and decided to come off both these and dairy products completely.

It's been nearly 3 months now and I have noticed a remarkable, steady improvement, to the point that as long as I make sure I still apply BP at least every other day, I am 95% CLEAR, meaning I've gone from major breakouts to only getting the occasional spot. I know this might not work for everyone out there, but PLEASE do give it a good try- allow at least a full month before drawing any conclusions. Especially us ladies who try to stay healthy and have the very popular cereal & milk for breakfast every day, or wholemeal toast... hope you try this out, and please share your results!!

congratulations! i found that cutting out dairy and nuts (+ topicals) did the trick for me...gluten (found in cereal grains) also seems to affect a lot of people, but so far I haven't found a problem with it...

yea, i started a Paleo diet (or lifestyle actually) which means not eating grains and only organic dairy-products. It's the "stonage-diet" so to say, which means that you should not eat stuff like rice, potatoes, pasta and bread because they're not a natural thing for humans to eat. i mean, humans haven't had enough time to evolve to adapt to our "agricultural diet" i.e. our bodies are not made to process such foods. I think grains also cause me to be tired and make me swollen. Since i begun this diet, i've lost weight (fat) and my skin is a lot better, i feel more energetic and alive than ever before! I highly recommend this to all! About the milk issue, i do still eat dairy products, but mostly organic (when i can afford it!), because they don't have as many hormones in them as 'normal' milk. the milk we drink today has a lot of sex hormones in it because of modern industry - cows are made pregnant as often as possible (way more than they'd be in natural conditions) in order to produce as much as possible and this means that their hormone levels will be significantly higher --> shows in the milk! And, animals are also fed food with growth hormones to make them grow faster (minimize costs --> profit) and produce more milk/&/meat which means that the meat and milk will also contain a lot of hormones :(

So, this is why i think you're right on point with your advice - skip the grains. Get your carbs from vegetables which also contain essential vitamins, minerals and fibres! Grains don't really contain any nutrition except carbs, so veggies are a better option i think!

I was clear for 2-1/2 years. So I said to myself what the heck let me start drinking coffee again. So back to milk it was. Did it for a month, then the next month I broke out with some hurtful zits.

Milk doesn't harm me at the moment, but it does later on when my body can no longer tolerate the chemical hormones they put in the milk.

This is a good post...But I just wanted to point out that although the US does allow hormones to be put into milk, Canada and many European countries do not...just google "Canada (or whatever your country) and hormones and milk" if you want to confirm this. So to you Canadians out there I'd say cutting milk from your diet, and/or buying expensive replacements like rice milk (as I tried doing before I found out about this) is probably not going to affect your acne, unless you're allergic to milk itself.

i love rice to the point that i need to eat it everyday to feel like i've eaten a meal. is 2 servings a day considered as low? or even that small amount can make a difference? i don't think i can ever give up rice :P

Milk is great. Limiting milk won't do anything for your acne. I see people limiting this and that, and eventually they still get zits. The real cause is tap water. Spread the word.

Milk is great. Limiting milk won't do anything for your acne.

Wrong. Wrong. Maybe not for everyone, but still...

" We found a positive association between intake of milk and acne. " - Harvard School of Public Health.

i love rice to the point that i need to eat it everyday to feel like i've eaten a meal. is 2 servings a day considered as low? or even that small amount can make a difference? i don't think i can ever give up rice :P

Milk DOES cause break outs along the jaw line near the mouth for me. I do agree with Tap water causing it too. I have real hard water and after 4-5 days of drinking alot of it(I was out of bottled water and no filters) I broke out after a long time of being clear.

YMMV

Well what do you eat for breakfast now then?

What do you eat to replace bread?

Personally, I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast (all organic). I don't have sandwiches anymore, just cuts of meat really.