Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnsungAcneHero

Frustrated to the point of giving up

Hi all,

I have been on the Regimen since March of 2006. While the regimen did seem to help the first year, it now is an ugly mess. I still get acne, at least two a week, although they aren't as bad, but what's got me frustrated is the dryness of my skin. My face is red, dry and looks almost textured. When a pimple does go away, I get a really dark mark left behind.

After two years, I thought my skin wouldn't be so ugly, but it is. I had faith in the regimen but now I'm not sure anymore. I wish someone had advice that would help me, but I don't think there is any out there that will. Tonight I saw how dry and flaky my skin was after washing and was so disturbed that for the first time, I skipped the BP and only moisturized.

My regimen as of the last month and half:

Wash with Purpose bar soap

Wait 15 min

Apply BP

Wait 15 min

Apply Cetaphil Moisturizer

Prior to that regimen I had incorporated Jojoba oil but after using that for over a year, I didn't notice any change in my skin's dryness.

I'm 28, so I don't think I'm just going through a "phase".

I just want to be pretty.

Time to re-think obviously.

Dump the regimen if you're dry without complete clearing.

You need to sit down and decide what's a priority. Have you considered using an oral retinoid?

Hi all,

I have been on the Regimen since March of 2006. While the regimen did seem to help the first year, it now is an ugly mess. I still get acne, at least two a week, although they aren't as bad, but what's got me frustrated is the dryness of my skin. My face is red, dry and looks almost textured. When a pimple does go away, I get a really dark mark left behind.

After two years, I thought my skin wouldn't be so ugly, but it is. I had faith in the regimen but now I'm not sure anymore. I wish someone had advice that would help me, but I don't think there is any out there that will. Tonight I saw how dry and flaky my skin was after washing and was so disturbed that for the first time, I skipped the BP and only moisturized.

My regimen as of the last month and half:

Wash with Purpose bar soap

Wait 15 min

Apply BP

Wait 15 min

Apply Cetaphil Moisturizer

Prior to that regimen I had incorporated Jojoba oil but after using that for over a year, I didn't notice any change in my skin's dryness.

I'm 28, so I don't think I'm just going through a "phase".

I just want to be pretty.

Do you have any pictures handy, so I can see what you talking about? Also to see what the regimen has done to your skin.

Well if you used the regimen over 2 years and don't see much results, and even doubting it.

It might be time for you to try a different method. I wouldn't think too much about Accutane though, because there are a lot of side affects, but it is an option.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try to just incorporate more moisturizer during the day. Maybe try a different cleanser too. I'm too scared to quit the regimen.

Bar soaps are known for being more drying than most liquid cleansers. You could definitely alleviate some of your dryness by switching to an unmedicated liquid cleanser, like Dan's cleanser, one of the Cetaphil cleansers, or the Purpose liquid cleanser, for example.

How did you use jojoba oil before? I have naturally dry skin and of course BP makes it worse, but I've found that jojoba oil has been really effective at preventing dryness from BP when I apply it before BP. I smear a layer all over my face immediately after cleansing before my skin dries out, and then I put the BP on top of it. The BP seems to be just as effective as without the jojoba oil underneath it, but when it dries, my skin is less tight and flaky than before. You might try using jojoba oil in this way.

Which Cetaphil moisturizer are you using? Some are more hydrating than others. I don't use the Cetaphil moisturizers, but I've heard that their moisturizing creams are more moisturizing than their lotions.

If you don't like the texture and look of your skin even once you get it a bit less dry, I definitely recommend incorporating in an AHA lotion into your routine once a day.

but what's got me frustrated is the dryness of my skin. My face is red, dry and looks almost textured.

Try the purpose cleanser. The cleanser is more Ph balanced for the skin. I don't think there is one soap bar out there that is Ph, they all drying in my opinion.

With the purpose cleanser in the shower every morning and night, just have wet hands then lather well. This should be much more mild than the purpose bar.

Have you considered just stopping putting on topicals and whatnot entirely? At that age, you could just have acne because of irritation from BP and whatnot. I'd recommend giving you skin a break for a week or so and seeing if there is any improvement.