Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BA88

Using Retin-A and Skinoren (azelaic acid) together?

Does anyone use Retin-A and Skinoren (azelaic acid) together? Any success in reducing oil? I don't really have a problem with spots anymore just the amount of oil!

I found this too what do you think?;

Studies carried out in France in the late 80's assessed the effects of zinc sulphate and azelaic acid on the human skin. The result of these studies demonstrated that at high concentrations zinc could completely inhibit the activity of 5 alpha reductase. Azelaic acid was also shown to be a potent inhibitor of 5 alpha reductase. Inhibition was detectable at concentrations as low as 0.2mmol/l and was complete at 3mmol/l. When zinc, vitamin b6 and azelaic acid where added together at very low concentrations which had been ineffective alone. 90% inhibition of 5 alpha reductase was achieved.

By the way 5 alpha reductase is what causes oily skin.

Does anyone use Retin-A and Skinoren (azelaic acid) together? Any success in reducing oil? I don't really have a problem with spots anymore just the amount of oil!

Studies carried out in France in the late 80's assessed the effects of zinc sulphate and azelaic acid on the human skin. The result of these studies demonstrated that at high concentrations zinc could completely inhibit the activity of 5 alpha reductase. Azelaic acid was also shown to be a potent inhibitor of 5 alpha reductase. Inhibition was detectable at concentrations as low as 0.2mmol/l and was complete at 3mmol/l. When zinc, vitamin b6 and azelaic acid where added together at very low concentrations which had been ineffective alone. 90% inhibition of 5 alpha reductase was achieved.

yep i use these 2 and they are brilliant , my face looks younger marks are fading some have faded away , wrinkles and uneven tone gone used about 4 weeks retin a and 2 and half weeks maybe of skinoren.

can the two be used together at the same time? Or do you have to use one in the morning and one in the evening?

personally I've been on Differin for yrs now. On & off for awhile, but quickly learned DAILY is best - if annoying as it completely dries out my skin. My doc wouldn't put me on Retin-A as my skin is normally dry - but with acney - and he said Differin was the gentler choice with less bad side-effects.

since he added the Azelaic Acid for me my skin's been great. I do find if I go off my oral Doxycycline is a bad idea. He tried to ween me on to lower dosages and my skin just came back as bad as before.

I feel my skin looks younger @ least for my age - but to be honest, I'd LOVE to switch gradually on to Retina-A as it is scientifically proven to make skin appear more youthful.

to be honest - I'm afraid of the extreme dryness and burning, as every morning when I wash my face it burns; tried numerous soaps, cleansing creams etc. but the washing off still feels harsh.

the Azelaic Acid burns - not bad! - and tingles for awhile, but eventually calms the irritation from the Differin - and yes I'm using a pea size amount all over my face. I get compliments on my skin, and feel as if I look younger but I'm wrestling with trying Retina-A for more glowing younger skin.

try both together, but space out applications 30 mins after applying Azelaic at night before trying the Retinoid - and GO LIGHT on the Retinoid (usual advice).

Good Luck!

I want to know If I could combine two different creams. I wish someone will tell me on the topic I made, if using Benzoyl Peroxide and Azelaic Acid benefits then just using one of them.

yep i use these 2 and they are brilliant , my face looks younger marks are fading some have faded away , wrinkles and uneven tone gone used about 4 weeks retin a and 2 and half weeks maybe of skinoren.

but i read somewhere that it also increases the facial hair growth ?? thats why i am confused about using it.