Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaitlynanne

Tanning with acne and scars?

Hey everyone. Im pretty new to this site. I was wondering if it was ok to use a tanning bed if you have acne and acne scarring. I know that its best t use a facial sunblock when out in the sun because the sun can make the the acne scars more noticable while they are healing. But i was wondering if its the same for tanning beds. I've been told that tanning can actually help clear up your skin. Has anyone heard this before? Any comments or suggestions it greaty apprchiated. Thanks a bunch! :D

no. it will make the red marks darker and stay longer. search the boards for more info. there are like 50 pages of it

for me... tanning always helps my acne. i know its really bad for me in the long run, but honestly, my face clears up the most when i go to the tanning bed a lot. most people say that it makes their acne scares worse... but it always made mine fade faster! maybe im weird. im on medication right now where i cant go tanning, and it sucks!!

The same has happened for me - when I first tan and build a base, the acne scars are more red, but as I get darker I dont notice my scars. I dont think its helping the scars or making them go away, I just think it's blending in.

Ive stopped tanning now for a few months...for so many reasons...

1. Its really bad in the long run (Like non of us knew this already ;) ).

The melanoma rate in the US went up 50% this summer! 50%. Thats stupidity and Im guilty of it.

2. I always told myself, 'Oh I wont get cancer..I dont tan that much'...but in actuality I did [tan way too much]...I had a tanning salon membership - those three words alone are crazy...

3. Its really expensive

4. My boyfriend likes my skin better naturally. He says he likes it when Im pale. Hmm....

Anyway, I always used to feel better tanning and felt more confident, but now I know thats just silly. Some people may think they look better now but in the long run youll look like a suitcase and end up possibly ill. Its not worth it. Embrace your skin color and work on perfecting your skin that way. The more stuff we project our skin to will just hurt it in the long run.

thank you guys so much for your input.

i havn't tanned in like 8 months because i was getting blu-u acne therapy and i couldnt go and now that im done i was considering it again but i've heard mixed things. I think i will stay away from the tanning bed for a bit. What do you think if i put a towel over my face i know that sounds silly but just so my body gets tanned? I just need a little colour since ive stayed out of the sun all summer cause of treatments. It really feels nice to be able to talk about this stuff cause none of my friend understand how emtionally draining have acne can be. They always compain when i take so long to get ready or how im so picky about my skin. Thanks for your input.

thank you guys so much for your input.

i havn't tanned in like 8 months because i was getting blu-u acne therapy and i couldnt go and now that im done i was considering it again but i've heard mixed things. I think i will stay away from the tanning bed for a bit. What do you think if i put a towel over my face i know that sounds silly but just so my body gets tanned? I just need a little colour since ive stayed out of the sun all summer cause of treatments. It really feels nice to be able to talk about this stuff cause none of my friend understand how emtionally draining have acne can be. They always compain when i take so long to get ready or how im so picky about my skin. Thanks for your input.

Its just as bad for you to tan with a towel on your face than with your face exposed. Your legs, stomach, arms - its all being exposed. Plus it may take even longer to get ready afterward because youll have to match your face tone with the rest of your body.

You can buy one of those gradual tanning creams if you want a little color.

for me... tanning always helps my acne. i know its really bad for me in the long run, but honestly, my face clears up the most when i go to the tanning bed a lot. most people say that it makes their acne scares worse... but it always made mine fade faster! maybe im weird. im on medication right now where i cant go tanning, and it sucks!!

just like everything else, tanning (in moderation) is good for some people's skin and bad for other people. i'm sure if you go like 3x for 10 minutes the first week and 10 minutes once a week after that you'll be fine. you don't want to do it too much in case it'll mess with your scars. you won't get much color but it'll still boost your skin tone. give it a try and see if it doesn't break you out or helps clear you up

You can buy one of those gradual tanning creams if you want a little color.

if she had to get light therapy it sounds like she has really acne-prone skin, and that could very well break her out.