Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scarpatch

Is this really true...?

Ok well I just spent quite a bit of money on a laser treatment (activeFX) for a small area and things were great when I was swollen but in about 3-5 days everything went back to normal in that area.

It IS true that my overall skin texture is better, but what I'm having trouble believing is the whole "collagen will continue to build over the next 4-6 months" and fill in scars.

:redface:

My question is, has anyone who's received any kind of laser treatment found this to actually be true? Or is it true that once the initial swelling has gone down you're left with what you see?

Any response based on your advice or experience is greatly appreciated.

I had 3 frax treatments and it took about 6months for me to notice any type of improvement. Skin looks tighter and the texture is better. Honestly, I don't think it was worth it. Also, I'm pretty sure laser treatments aren't really meant for acne scar treatment such as icepick/boxcar scars. The procedure is just marketed that way because it is more profitable for the clinics, unfortunately. In reality excision, although harder to find nowadays, usually leaves a much better linear scar which in turn can be eliminated with a laser. I didn't know any of that untill I did all my research. What type of scars are you having treated and what did your doc tell you about the possible results?

Good luck.

I have researched ActiveFX to death and gone for several consultations. One Dr. offered to subcise my scars before the FX, give half off price for a second FX - if first does not do what I hope, and do DeepFX on the deeper scars. User reveiws aren't very promising on the outcome. When I look at the before & after pics, I feel like the Emper0rs new clothes- while Dr.s are raving, I see NO difference. Like you, I also wonder if the effects will occur later? realself has a lot of good reviews and pics. I wish you the best with this, and look forward to your future postings. In spite of the uncertainty, I probably WILL do this. I keep hoping, you know?

Scarpatch- I'm especially interested in hearing that you got this in only one area- I didn't know I could request that. Do you mind if I ask how much it cost? I was quoted almost $3000.00 for entire face and wonder if it would be significantly less for one area. What was your downtime?

Hey snooze - What's up thanks for your input. I think its a combination of two boxcar and one "rolling" if rolling means that there's a tiny pinpoint area thats just a bit deeper and for some reason actually causes about an inch or so of slight overall depression (like standing in the middle of a huge trampoline), making the whole thing much wider in certain lighting conditions. It's really the boxcar ones I don't like, even though the whole thing is a mystery to figure out how to get rid of. The doctor told me to expect some improvement, but to me its crazy that they can actually charge as much as they do for "laser resurfacing" when it's more like "here I'll blast you with a laser and put vaseline all over your face then -off you go- and who cares what happens."

I have a follow up appointment very soon where they will be taking "after" photos, but I think I'll suggest to them that they just take the before photo and put it in a copy machine and label it "after."

If you say that results come, that's good, but I still have a lot of questions for them on my next visit.

indigenous - Hey there yeah it's crazy how there isn't really a direct and simple solution for this kind of thing. I've had friends throughout life with all kinds of different insecurities, like "oh my nose is too big" or "I'm so fat" or "my teeth are crooked." Well, nose job - diet - braces for you guys its that easy. Why does it seem there are SO many options for this specific issue and hardly anything actually works?

Sorry to run on and on. In answer to your question, I did ask them just for one area to be done, but like you said its the entire face they want to do. So what happened is they did one pass over the whole face and double pass over the side that's affected. The upside is that my skin texture and color overall has already improved, the downside is that the the results I see in the area I wanted them to focus on the most has seen the least improvement. Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was able to get them to do just a bit, but I have a feeling it would still be expensive.

Any more positive/negative post laser opinions?

hi people,

i did total fx about 2 months ago. i looked really smooth for like 3 dayz (that's w/ blood and pus all over my face too). but i heal fast, and at about day 4 all swelling subsided, and everything was back to normal. devastated. had to be patient and hope that it's true that collagen really does build slowly. after all, that's what the body does after trauma, right?

so, i been patient. and my scarz are kinda better now. definitely better than before (it helps to use the same lighting to gauge these thingz), but really, not much. just probably less "harsh". so, hopefully it's true that it takes months. i think that's part of the reason why they wait a few months to blast you w/ total fx again if you want it.

God I hope its true. I can think of a million ways to spend $1200 other than on Vbeam. I use it more for redness and my red marks though. But the doctor said its known to sometimes heal scars too. he also said results can take months. Maybe he meant sucking out every dollar of my wallet can take months, i might have misheard him.

for deeper scars you have to use the active deep fx. the normal active fx is practically futile in treating (deeper) acne scars. with the active fx your skin looks smoother and small pores will disappear maybe. but you're right, you have to wait a few months until you see results.

i've heard a lot of succsessful stories about the deep fx in treating deep acne scars. it seems to work.

better than fraxel i think. fraxel is shit.

ALL IHAVE TO SAY ABOUT LASER IS...DONT DO IT.

Laser turned my face into burn scar tissue.

I had a few superficial scars, and wanted perfection....

Had resufacing...i still have 'lines' from the laser in some places..

Got burns, have had corrective procedures for 8 years since...

It WONT help icepicks, there is NO quick fix, tca is best bet.

Look at options....laser isnt the best- it cannot guarentee results, and on deep scarring, I cant imagine results.

And NO the collagen does not 'fill in' the scars...I was fed that line too.

There are treatments that DO work, but no over night fixes...JMHE.

g'luck :)

ALL IHAVE TO SAY ABOUT LASER IS...DONT DO IT.

Laser turned my face into burn scar tissue.

I had a few superficial scars, and wanted perfection....

Had resufacing...i still have 'lines' from the laser in some places..

Got burns, have had corrective procedures for 8 years since...

It WONT help icepicks, there is NO quick fix, tca is best bet.

Look at options....laser isnt the best- it cannot guarentee results, and on deep scarring, I cant imagine results.

And NO the collagen does not 'fill in' the scars...I was fed that line too.

There are treatments that DO work, but no over night fixes...JMHE.

g'luck :)

Could you name the treatments that DO work ,thanks.