Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BudJesus

Switching from BP to Tretinoin / retinol-A

For those of you who switched...

Did your acne get much worse for a while?

I was almost completely clear on DKR. ALMOST. I decided I wanted 100% clear.

I'm now 8 weeks into tretinoin and still much worse; a guy at work gave me an ad for pro-activ today!!

i don't see any topics here on people who SWITCHED. please respond if you did with your results!

I switched, but I did not quit BP cold turkey. Lots of threads in here warn about quitting any acne med all at once; it's better to ease off. I am sorry you had to learn the hard way. I did get a small IB when starting retin-a, but nothing devastating and it cleared fast.

This is what I did to transition smoothly from DKR to retin-a:

I did DKR in the morning everyday as usual and started retin-a every other night. Then when I started retin-a every night, I started using BP every other morning, and lessened the amount to a thin layer. I will add that I also used clindamycin at night with retin-a. I did that for about a year with good results.

I still use the super gentle DKR recommended drugstore cleanser & moisturizers too. You might consider adding in a thin layer (not DKR amount) of BP every other morning. Remember to keep everything else gentle & to moisturize once a day at least.

I currently use retin-a at night, spot treat with clindamycin only when necessary, and take an antibiotic twice a day. I forge the antibiotic half the time, so maybe twice a week I apply a thin layer of BP to help keep inflammation down.

My skin looks pretty darn good for me. I've had people tell me my skin is nice even! :shock:

Oh, and the guy at your work needs a good smack across the face :evil::D

Oh, and the guy at your work needs a good smack across the face :evil: :D

it shouldn't have but somehow it made it even worse that he gave it to me discreetly, in a sealed envelope with my name written on it. it would have been better if he just "Busted my balls" in front of everyone i think instead of actually MEANING it

also, it seems like it looks better today.... 2 days ago i started using a LOT LESS and applying the THINNEST layer possible. i was not using a TON before but definitely think the amount of stuff we use in DKR had an influence.

How much do you use?

Thats weird, i am actually thinking about switching ffrom dkr to retin A also. Why did you decide to switch?? I am really clear now, but i am over taking the time twice a day to do the DKR, and also putting so much bp on my face worries me about the long term effects. I am worried that ill break out again, that would suck. I think i might do retin a at nighth and azelex (azelaic acid) in the morning. Ill think about it. :wacko::doubt:

How much do you use?

Of retin-a? I use the prescribed "frozen pea" sized drop, and no more. I should also ask you...what concentration are you on? I've worked my way up to .1% and my skin looks better without any additional dryness (but it is quite oily to begin with).

Thats weird, i am actually thinking about switching ffrom dkr to retin A also. Why did you decide to switch??

I switched because while DKR kept my inflammatory acne about 90% under control, it was not clearing up some comedal acne on my chin. BP has a better reputation for clearing inflamed acne than comedal, so I decided to take a chance and try something else for it. I also started DKR when I had no health insurance & couldn't afford a derm. That changed also. For an effective, OTC acne treatment, I still think DKR is great. I don't have any concerns about long term BP use either.

I admit that my current routine is much faster, my skin is generally less dry & more even toned, and is about 95-99% clear of inflamed acne. Note that I also take tetracycline, spot treat with clindamycin, and apply a little BP occasionally in the morning. So retin-a alone is not enough for me.

The downside is that I still have the comedal acne on my chin, but every derm loves to tell me to give it 6 months. So now that I am on the highest concentration of retin-a, I am giving it time before going back to the derm and whining.