Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tishtashtosh

Going to STOP taking BCP

I take Dianette (Diane-35 I think the other name is?)

I'm on my 7 day break at the moment, and want to stop taking it for good.

It has done nothing appart from make my acne x10 worse than it was before.

I used to get just little colourless pimples and maybe the odd big red spot, now all I have ARE big red, ugly spots.

I've been on it for almost 4 MONTHS!! Seen no improvement whatsoever, like I said, Its WORSE.

I've also read a lot of crap about it. Like how it prevents you growing out of your acne, as when you come off them, your skin goes back to when you hit puberty because of the hormones having to re-adjust ALL over again.

Now, I'm wondering, will my acne flare up for a while after stopping? (I couldn't think it could get worse) Or will it improve and go back to how it was?

I NEED HELP HERE.

Please give me any imformation you can, and if you read this, PLEASE post something.

Thanks.

i was thinking of going on diane for my acne too, i think it's hormonal... is that why u went on it?

now im scared after u said :S i thought diane is suppose to make acne go away? i went on Yasmin for my acne and it only made it worse... from mild to was like hell on my face.. i stopped taking it after 2/3 months because it was definatly not worth scarring n horror... my doctors/derm say that BC's arent suppose to make u break out... but i hear ppl getting IB's all the time and that it's "part of the process before ur skin clears up... idunno.... but it's weird that doctors say it's not suppose to happen... but that was on yasmin, diane is clinically proven to help ur skin... so maybe u should stick with it?

I have been on Tri-cyclin since I was about 14...am 20 now. I never noticed any improvement with the pills. My acne has ovbiously gotten better since I was 14, but I don't give the pills credit for that. And sometimes, it can be worse. This past summer was pure hell for my face. I am still recovering from trying a new system (carley's clear and smooth--just as a warning...)

Anyways, the best thing that has ever worked for me is apple cider vinegar. I am no longer battling zits... just these stupid little red dots/red marks on my face. I just want to look half decent without make up. Anyways, I have often wondered if the BCP has prolonged my acne.. I have had it since I was 13... this is the mildest it has ever been and I do give credit to the ACV...none the less I cannot go off of the pill at this point in time. Let's face it, imperfect skin beats an unwanted pregnancy. I am scared for the day I do go off the pill though... I do not want to know how my skin will react.

Definitely stop taking them!! I'm not an expert on BCP (never taken them) but I do know that if you use a medication for 3+ months and see no improvement, you've got to move on and try something else. And your acne has even got worse...seriously, trust your instincts. BC is only one potential acne cure among many, and it won't work for everyone.

If you give us some more info about the type/severity of your acne, we might be able to suggest a replacement for BC. Maybe you should also think about seeing a derm?

i was thinking of going on diane for my acne too, i think it's hormonal... is that why u went on it?

now im scared after u said :S i thought diane is suppose to make acne go away? i went on Yasmin for my acne and it only made it worse... from mild to was like hell on my face.. i stopped taking it after 2/3 months because it was definatly not worth scarring n horror... my doctors/derm say that BC's arent suppose to make u break out... but i hear ppl getting IB's all the time and that it's "part of the process before ur skin clears up... idunno.... but it's weird that doctors say it's not suppose to happen... but that was on yasmin, diane is clinically proven to help ur skin... so maybe u should stick with it?

Dianette like all birth controls will make your acne go away. But not necessarly for the better. When you first start taking it, your acne flares out of control because your hormones are having to completely re-adjust to another level. When the level settles down, this can take MONTHS and MONTHS your acne will improve. This isn't a good thing however, as when you come off them, you will be back to square one, where your acne was when you first started. Then you would have to wait again for your natural hormones to settle.

BCP's are only temporary fixes. Fixes that only last whilst your ON them. I don't see the point.

I also think that they prevent you naturally growing out of acne, because of all the hormone adjusting.

This is what I've come to discover. Biggest mistake any one can make is going on BCP, in my opinion.

I would like to ask, when you came off the pill, did your acne get back to how it was? Less angry?

I have been on Tri-cyclin since I was about 14...am 20 now. I never noticed any improvement with the pills. My acne has ovbiously gotten better since I was 14, but I don't give the pills credit for that. And sometimes, it can be worse. This past summer was pure hell for my face. I am still recovering from trying a new system (carley's clear and smooth--just as a warning...)

Anyways, the best thing that has ever worked for me is apple cider vinegar. I am no longer battling zits... just these stupid little red dots/red marks on my face. I just want to look half decent without make up. Anyways, I have often wondered if the BCP has prolonged my acne.. I have had it since I was 13... this is the mildest it has ever been and I do give credit to the ACV...none the less I cannot go off of the pill at this point in time. Let's face it, imperfect skin beats an unwanted pregnancy. I am scared for the day I do go off the pill though... I do not want to know how my skin will react.

I am so sorry to hear that, and to say this, but you've made a mistake being on the pill for so long.

BCP's do prevent you growing out of acne, because once you come off them at ANY age (mid 20's onwards etc) it will be like hitting puberty again because your hormones will have to re-adjust.

Its a real pain, and I think its wrong that they are given for acne. They do nothing but cause damage in the long run.

I hope everything works out for you.

My advice for you, would be to come off them ASAP. You will have a flare up, but it wont last.. You need to go natural from now on. Use your ACV and just keep going with that. Your skin will eventually go back to how it used to be. Its better to do it now, than later.

Definitely stop taking them!! I'm not an expert on BCP (never taken them) but I do know that if you use a medication for 3+ months and see no improvement, you've got to move on and try something else. And your acne has even got worse...seriously, trust your instincts. BC is only one potential acne cure among many, and it won't work for everyone.

If you give us some more info about the type/severity of your acne, we might be able to suggest a replacement for BC. Maybe you should also think about seeing a derm?

Hi, thanks for your help.

I am planning to stop taking them (well, I have now) because they flared my acne up so bad, compared to the few pimples I had to begin with. I've used them for over 3 months, yes. I have seen NO improvement, like I said, just worsening of my acne. Its obvious that this hormone treatment doesn't work for me. It may in the long run, but I don't want to go there, if you read the above posts.

I am definately not going to change to another BCP. I am staying off of them for life. They do nothing but damage.

I'm hoping I won't need any more medication when my skin recovers. As my skin wasn't even as bad as this before, I mean I could live with it, without crying everyday, you know?

So I'm hoping it will settle down once these awful chemicals and hormones are out of my system.

Oh and my acne was very mild (I was worried about nothing) and now its on the borderline of moderate. Which isn't bad, but for me, its awful.

It's pretty amazing how different BCPs affect different people. I had no acne flare-up with Ortho tricyclen and not even the lo version and noted totally clear skin. But moodiness, weight gain were not worth the clear skin.

It's pretty amazing how different BCPs affect different people. I had no acne flare-up with Ortho tricyclen and not even the lo version and noted totally clear skin. But moodiness, weight gain were not worth the clear skin.

Wow, thats lucky.

So you've came off now? How did your skin react?

Wow, thats lucky.

So you've came off now? How did your skin react?

haha I came off BCP more than 10 years ago. :D My skin was just fine, I had no breakout at all. I am too old now to use hormonal BCP and also I smoke. I'd rather not have a pulmonary or other embolism this young!

I didn't take BCP for acne, the doctor just mentioned that it was an added bonus, but I never noticed any changes. As I got older, my acne got more mild but it was still there. This past summer was the worst of it.. It's now completley clear thanks to ACV... I am still on BCP and I will be until I'm ok with having a baby lol...

As for the weight gain and stuff I never had any of that with it either. The only thing Ortho has ever done for me was keep my periods on an exact routine... i'm telling you in the 6 years I've been on these pills my period has been early or late only when I messed the pills up.

Moodiness on the other hand I don't know... I started out on some other type of BCP that was awful... I had my period for 3 weeks straight and I cried and cried and cried everyday and didnt know why. My doc then switched me to Ortho and I never had anything like that. I do have AWFUL pms as in I get so mad that I cant handle it and i cry and cry and cry lol much like the first pills I tried but only for about 4 days prior to my period. I dont know if this is the BCP's fault or just my own body because this only started happening over the past coupe years.

I didn't take BCP for acne, the doctor just mentioned that it was an added bonus, but I never noticed any changes. As I got older, my acne got more mild but it was still there. This past summer was the worst of it.. It's now completley clear thanks to ACV... I am still on BCP and I will be until I'm ok with having a baby lol...

As for the weight gain and stuff I never had any of that with it either. The only thing Ortho has ever done for me was keep my periods on an exact routine... i'm telling you in the 6 years I've been on these pills my period has been early or late only when I messed the pills up.

Moodiness on the other hand I don't know... I started out on some other type of BCP that was awful... I had my period for 3 weeks straight and I cried and cried and cried everyday and didnt know why. My doc then switched me to Ortho and I never had anything like that. I do have AWFUL pms as in I get so mad that I cant handle it and i cry and cry and cry lol much like the first pills I tried but only for about 4 days prior to my period. I dont know if this is the BCP's fault or just my own body because this only started happening over the past coupe years.

Thanks for your long, imformative response.

I don't take BCP anymore. I'm on my 6th day without it. I have noticed I have a few new pimples, but nothing major really.

So about ACV.. Did it really help? How do you use it?

I orally take it but don't apply it to the skin.