Acne.org
just another1

To everyone using a dermaroller...SANITIZE!

Posted

I really hate to cross post to an outside forum but I think the subject of sanitizing your dermaroller can not be overly stressed.

The following link will bring to a woman who contracted staph infection from her dermaroller even though she thought she was fully sanitizing the unit with hydrogen peroxide.

Her quote,

"Hi all of my lovely posters!

I am back from a little over a week stay in the hospital. I wanted to report the horrific staff infection I obtained from my derma roller. Even though I used peroxide to clean my roller, I ended up with a horrific infection. I am not on anti anxiety meds and have to follow up with the infectious disease doctor here in my town. I was on IV "strong" antibiotics constant throughout my stay at the hospital.

I will post pictures later if you would like. My right side of my face was as large as a grapefruit. I am not here to alarm you--but here to warn you about the sanitizing of the dermarollers.

I was told by many medical professionals---my husband's collegues that this instrument should be placed in an autoclave--not just peroxide.

I am still very week---but I will try to answer any questions you may have.

XXHallie"

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...52/m/3390047485

Posted

Yeah...this should definitely be a concern for those using dermarollers or reusing needles with their self-needling regimens.

I thought that this might work well for sanitizing rollers, etc.

This is what I would use if I were to start dermarolling. Just keep this light in contact with all of the dermaroller surface for right amount of time. This should do the trick.

UV-C Sanitizing Light Wand

The UV-C Sanitizing Light Wands by germ Guardian are the latest “bright†idea in home health and cleaning. This revolutionary invention removes 99.9% of germs and bacteria in only twenty seconds, using the effective sterilization power of UV-C light. Simply wave the lightweight and easy to use light wand over any surface to obtain a germ-free and sanitized home.

Time Efficient: Sanitization can generally be achieved by holding the UV-C Light Wand over surfaces and items for 10-20 seconds at a distance of approximately 2-inches. It takes only 10 seconds to sanitize personal items and utensils. It takes 20 seconds to sanitize a 12†surface area waving the wand back and forth. The 6†UV-C bulb allows wide coverage and makes sanitizing large areas quick and easy. www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com

Posted

How would u sanitize the dermaroller? Dip it in a cup of alcohol?

Posted

That UV-C wand looks like a great little device. I did a quick search on Amazon and it sells for about $100 dollars and a couple people mentioned it arrived inoperable. Someone also claimed the manufacturer changed it's wording from kills "99.9% of..." to "it will not not immediately remove".

http://tinyurl.com/6p8d2p

Here's a video showing how one manufacturer recommends keeping to dermaroller sanitized.

This is pretty much how I was going to go about it. Rubbing alcohol goes for about $1 a pint.

Posted
That UV-C wand looks like a great little device. I did a quick search on Amazon and it sells for about $100 dollars and a couple people mentioned it arrived inoperable. Someone also claimed the manufacturer changed it's wording from kills "99.9% of..." to "it will not not immediately remove".

Yeah, that's a completely different UV device than the one I posted a link for. As with every product, some are good and some are not. I certainly don't think that all of these are created equal. If someone is researching a UV-C device for sterilizing their roller they should do some comprehensive research to learn about what device has the best reputation in all areas.

I personally would not trust my sterilization with rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is actually notorious for being a rather poor sterilization method.

"Rubbing alcohol will disinfect and to some extent sterilize. However, most microbes aren't going to be killed using rubbing alcohol." - (Sterilization - bmezine encyclopedia)

Posted

I agree. What I meant was, for the time being this is the process I will be using. The area I do the dermarolling will be kept spotless and sanitized. I will use Lysol like it's going outa style on the hard surfaces and I will share the area with no one.

One particular dermaroller unit from ClearSkinCare, advertises the unit as "autoclavable (resistant to 134ºC temperatures)" That's 273 degrees fahrenheit. I believe this is the unit " legend" uses.

http://tinyurl.com/68unrh

Along with the device you mentioned I planned on looking more into ultrasonic cleaners to keep the unit sanitized.

I have no problem spending $100 to avoid something like staph infection of the face.

Thanks for input scarcrash.

Posted

did they pay you guys to post this? haha kidding.

Posted
did they pay you guys to post this? haha kidding.

Did someone pay me to warn others of an infection from a possible flesh eating bacteria? Ummmm...no...consider it looking out for my fellow man.

*moderator edit - removed text*

Posted

Bleach works. Autoclaves aren't exactly common household equipment. Bleach kills more bacteria than plain old rubbing alcohol does. Leave the bleach (doesn't even have to be full strength) in contact with the roller device for at least three minutes.

I do not know the material of most dermaroller devices; the bleach may enhance breakdown of the material and make you need to buy a new roller sooner. But clean and more frequent purchases of the roller device far outweighs hospitalization costs.

Posted
Bleach works. Autoclaves aren't exactly common household equipment. Bleach kills more bacteria than plain old rubbing alcohol does. Leave the bleach (doesn't even have to be full strength) in contact with the roller device for at least three minutes.

I do not know the material of most dermaroller devices; the bleach may enhance breakdown of the material and make you need to buy a new roller sooner. But clean and more frequent purchases of the roller device far outweighs hospitalization costs.

Bleach can destroy some plastics in time. At approx. $90 delivered for a typical dermaroller I don't think I will take the chance ruining such an expensive unit.

I'm also aware bleach can react with other items to produce things like dioxin. As I'm no chemist I would have no idea if this were possible with the plastic matierial the unit was made of. I'm also aware that bleach can destroy the finish of metal. I'm not sure if I want to take a chance on having the pins from the dermaroller that enter my flesh to somehow be compromised.

BTW, the mention of the autoclave was only to show that this one particular dermaroller could withstand temps of over 212 degrees farenheit...you know....the boiling point of water.

"Chlorine solutions are generally corrosive with long term usage on equipment, and may damage plastic and rubber parts with continued usage. Using proper concentrations minimizes these effects."

http://www.allqa.com/ChlorineSanitizing.htm

Again, as I'm no chemist what are the concentrations that can safely kill most bacterias and germs but at the same time not destroy my $90 dermaroller? Perhaps you can help with that answer?

Posted
Bleach can destroy some plastics in time. At approx. $90 delivered for a typical dermaroller I don't think I will take the chance ruining such an expensive unit.

I'm also aware bleach can react with other items to produce things like dioxin. As I'm no chemist I would have no idea if this were possible with the plastic matierial the unit was made of. I'm also aware that bleach can destroy the finish of metal. I'm not sure if I want to take a chance on having the pins from the dermaroller that enter my flesh to somehow be compromised.

BTW, the mention of the autoclave was only to show that this one particular dermaroller could withstand temps of over 212 degrees farenheit...you know....the boiling point of water.

"Chlorine solutions are generally corrosive with long term usage on equipment, and may damage plastic and rubber parts with continued usage. Using proper concentrations minimizes these effects."

Again, as I'm no chemist what are the concentrations that can safely kill most bacterias and germs but at the same time not destroy my $90 dermaroller? Perhaps you can help with that answer?

The following is all I know about bleach and dermarollers:

...I do not know the material of most dermaroller devices; the bleach may enhance breakdown of the material and make you need to buy a new roller sooner. But clean and more frequent purchases of the roller device far outweighs hospitalization costs.

Posted

I personally use iodine and alcohol (70% iso). Run your roller under hot water to remove any skin/blood. Then soak in the alcohol for about 45 mins (i fill my roller tube up with alcohol and lower it into it so the needles dont touch anything).

I then actually apply iodine to my roller and leave it on for about ten minutes, then rinse off with hot water. The topical iodine i use was actually bought over the counter in america. It is kind of like vaseline in consistency.

I then, as i have said follow on with an application or two of bactroban ointment after my dermroller session. I think this covers most bases as i also clean my face with both alcohol swabs and iodine prep pads (normally use before piercings).

Other things i have used include hibicleanse/hibiscrub to clean the rollers, this stuff is invaluble to cleanse your hands and skin anyway so you should all have some.

Posted

The hibiclens is an ideal product for use prior to dermarolling particularly when used as indicated on the instructions. Good point, lamarr.

Posted
I personally use iodine and alcohol (70% iso). Run your roller under hot water to remove any skin/blood. Then soak in the alcohol for about 45 mins (i fill my roller tube up with alcohol and lower it into it so the needles dont touch anything).

I then actually apply iodine to my roller and leave it on for about ten minutes, then rinse off with hot water. The topical iodine i use was actually bought over the counter in america. It is kind of like vaseline in consistency.

I then, as i have said follow on with an application or two of bactroban ointment after my dermroller session. I think this covers most bases as i also clean my face with both alcohol swabs and iodine prep pads (normally use before piercings).

Other things i have used include hibicleanse/hibiscrub to clean the rollers, this stuff is invaluble to cleanse your hands and skin anyway so you should all have some.

great advice, glad you touched up on this topic lamarr. thanks..

Posted

At first this was pretty much what I had in mind but after reading the post where the women contracted staph I started to look more into it.

Apparently iso alcohol doesn't kill everything and if someone were to somehow shortcut their process of sanatizing their equipment ( for what ever reason, people get lazy) the potentonal is there for some major problems.

I look at at it this way. When you are performing something as invasive as dermarolling you can't be too overly concerned about bacterial infection.

I know you have mentioned your use of iodine before. You also mentioned your own worry of tattooing yourself with the iodine. You put your face through alot of cleaning with alcohol and what have you. I know, I for one wouldn't be able to put my facial skin through that. I would be stripped raw. Alcohol plays crazy games with my facial skin.

I have used hibicleanse in the past. It's used in hospital settings as well from what I remember. This is good for hand washing ect. I'm not sure how effective it could be on the roller pins themselves.

I have been looking into things like bactine in place of iodine. It contain lidocaine and it's said to be more effective than iodine.

I'll be starting my dermaroller treatment soon and feel safe enough from bacteria to begin but I know it isn't full proof and being overly sanitary and cautious is a must.

P.S. Think about it this way. If you walk into a doctors office and he pulled out a used dermaroller from a container of alcohol and started to pierce into your flesh with it, would you feel totally safe?

The following is all I know about bleach and dermarollers:

...I do not know the material of most dermaroller devices; the bleach may enhance breakdown of the material and make you need to buy a new roller sooner. But clean and more frequent purchases of the roller device far outweighs hospitalization costs.

Really? With your matter of fact answer about bleach I thought maybe you were the go to person for the answer. But I stand corrected.

Posted

just another1. I was just using alcohol on my face and roller. I'm going to use boiling water, alcohol, peroxide and some form of anti bacterial ointment for after I'm done.

Posted
just another1. I was just using alcohol on my face and roller. I'm going to use boiling water, alcohol, peroxide and some form of anti bacterial ointment for after I'm done.

Hey munsoned, What roller you have? If you have the one from Dr. Roller did a package insert mention anything about it being safe at boiling temps?

From what I've read online, only the unit from ClearSkinCare spells out that their unit can withstand boiling water temps. Problem is they only offer the roller at .75 mm.

Boiling it would surely be the way to go.

Posted

i was told by seller to only rinse off clearskin roller with hot water. i will boil the damn thing from now on. i just started soaking the roller in alcohol, as someone said wtf? are you doing? :naughty:

just what i do not need, another fucking infection of the skin or worse, inside the body.

Posted

Hey munsoned, What roller you have? If you have the one from Dr. Roller did a package insert mention anything about it being safe at boiling temps?

From what I've read online, only the unit from ClearSkinCare spells out that their unit can withstand boiling water temps. Problem is they only offer the roller at .75 mm.

Boiling it would surely be the way to go.

JA1, I have a cheaper model then those real nice ones they sell. its a 1.5mm and its a wide row model. acually works very well despite some complaints I heard regarding the larger models. So maybe boiling it is out of the question. I know legend boils his and the color came off his roller but it held up besides that. maybe I will just use really hot water. it would have been nice to have been able to use boiling water.. :(

appreciate you looking into all this for use JA1..

Posted

you know what, i was at the store and bought hydrogen peroxide specifically for my daily roller. then i came home and came onto this website (for the 1st time in a long time) and saw this post at the top of the boards. ha! that must be like divine intervention. the timing of it all, is kinda funny actually. now i got a bottle of unopened h2o2 and it'll probably just sit around my apt. i wonder if the problem is that it's too diluted.

just imagine rolling, and pushing staph that much deeper into your face...dude that's insane. well, hopefully it was just a bad experience and nothing permanent. hopefully she's ok soon.

in my microbiology class they said bleach is pretty good at removal of those microbez. i'm thinkin about using bleach on my bathroom cleaning. but i'm worried about using it on my roller, cuz what if there's still some bleach on my roller when i use it. man, why can't anything be easy...

ps- thanks for the post! can never be too careful

Posted
you know what, i was at the store and bought hydrogen peroxide specifically for my daily roller. then i came home and came onto this website (for the 1st time in a long time) and saw this post at the top of the boards. ha! that must be like divine intervention. the timing of it all, is kinda funny actually. now i got a bottle of unopened h2o2 and it'll probably just sit around my apt. i wonder if the problem is that it's too diluted.

just imagine rolling, and pushing staph that much deeper into your face...dude that's insane. well, hopefully it was just a bad experience and nothing permanent. hopefully she's ok soon.

in my microbiology class they said bleach is pretty good at removal of those microbez. i'm thinkin about using bleach on my bathroom cleaning. but i'm worried about using it on my roller, cuz what if there's still some bleach on my roller when i use it. man, why can't anything be easy...

ps- thanks for the post! can never be too careful

yeah its so true, it can never be just as simple as what it is. I cant imagine going through what she did. I know bleach can eat away metal and cause corrosion. If you use bleach and theres no issues please advise us on the forum. we would all appreciate it. if you use bleach it should be pretty easy to wash the bleach off. that is a concern thou. and bleach may not work because of the fact it does cause corrosion on metal like I said and was discussed above..

use the peroxide. I am ging to purchase some and use it along with hot or boiling water, alcohol to let the roller sit in and to put on my face. I will do this after a shower so I am clean. I will clean my bathroom before I do it too. and get some anti bacterial ointment for after I am done. just one application for after I finish to help protect me.