Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SCaliGirl

Shampoo and Conditionar for long hair?

What kind shampoo and conditioner do you all recommend for long hair ? I've been using Pantene and it's been drying me out :(

Thanks

are you using conditioner too? i have ALWAYS used Pantene... i love it. but you definitely have to use the conditioner too... especially for long hair. i use pantene "beautiful lengths"

I really like sunsilk it is cheap plus it makes my hair look really shiny and does not dry it out at all. Head and SHoulders also works really well and smells delicious.

You could try applying a few drops of jojoba seed oil in damp hair.

Otherwise, I always recommend Back to Basics - Rich Moisture. I've been using it for over a year and I get a lot of compliments on how shiny and healthy my hair looks. This never happened the last time I was growing my hair out so I know it's the shampoo and, mainly, conditioner which happens to have jojoba seed oil in it! This is a salon brand so it's more expensive but if there's a Trade Secret nearby you can receive 20% off your purchase every tuesday 9-11 AM or the last tuesday of each month 7-9 PM.

Pantene has been known to cause build up in hair because of it's high protein and silicone content. at first it starts out making your hair really shiny, but it accumulates. don't know if that's what causing your dryness.

shampoo and conditioner for dry hair should basically be something that is nourishing and hydrating to prevent split-ends (or other forms of dry hair/scalp) which might make you cut your hair. i personally recommend the Shea Butter smoothing shamp. and condish. from Organix. it's a new brand with really good, mostly natural ingredient. i've been using it for a while now and love the results.

organixhair.com

neither is required. i have "washed" my hair twice in its lifetime. you have messed with the natural oils in your hair. i am not the only one with this opinion. google it or something.

I agree that you've got massive buildup of silicone if you haven't clarified. You can still use Pantene if you like it, but you need to get the buildup off. You can do that with any shampoo labeled as a clarifier. Suave makes one that works just fine. You may have to lather 2 or 3 times.

see i dont know why everyone says pantene causes buildup... ive been using it FOREVER and have never had any problems with it and my hair looks great. anything else makes my hair dry. i guess im just used to it

I'll think I'll switch after a hair cut lol, got a lot of split ends :(

And I need to use up the shampoo I already have, would be a waste if I tossed it aside ( like many of the tried and failed acne products lol... )

But thank you all for the replies <3

I have long hair and for a while now I've been using this conditioner from Sally's beauty supply, Its the Biotera brand Revitalizingconditioner and I love it because it makes my hair feel soft and easy to comb through. I also like to use some type of leave in treatment just to protect my ends better, right now I use Biolage Hydra-Seal leave in creme but when that's used up I might move to either Redken Anti-snap or Beyond the Zone Split mender (a fav of Pursebuzz's). As far as shampoo goes, I will buy whatever, as long as I feel is suds up well because I dont wear styling products most the time so only work it through my scalp and leave the rest of my hair becase the oil isnt towards my ends so I dont want to dry them out.

I use Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo wash and Dove shampoo :)

I noticed a clear difference for me using both for both shiny hair and help for acne :D

I use the baby shampoo regularly whenever I shower, but once a week I'll instead wash with Dove shampoo to get a clean wash. Baby shampoo is really simple and clean and it gets most of the oil and dirt out of your hair, but if you only use that for two weeks you'll notice it's not getting all the oils out and it accumulates...so you have to wash it with a "adult-type" shampoo. It doesn't necessarily have to be Dove.

Plus, I noticed baby shampoo doesn't agitate your skin or cause acne so I'm lovin' that ;)

So if someone feels like their shampoo might be causing some pimples or agitation, I suggest they switch into this too :) You can check by seeing if you break out in the spots where your hair touches your face. I have a long-ish side-swept hair that touches my forehead but after I started using baby shampoo, I don't break out there anymore :)

Oh, and if you want shiny hair or hydrated bouncy hair, leave in your conditioner (I use Lo'real Vive) in your hair for about five minutes (or more if you'd like) while you shower. Rinse off and naturally air-dry your hair. :D My hair becomes so shiny ^^~

AHH D: this is gonna get long... but let me add something else xD;;

If you use a very drying cleanser, try washing your face with tear-free baby wash gently after the cleanser. I noticed less drying and it doesn't seem to provoke acne :)

v(^-^)z best wishes~

[edit: lol... I just noticed I used a lot of smiley faces. :P ]

see i dont know why everyone says pantene causes buildup... ive been using it FOREVER and have never had any problems with it and my hair looks great. anything else makes my hair dry. i guess im just used to it

Likewise. Whenever I switch from Pantene, my hair starts looking dry and icky. The only other shampoo that I now use is Selsun Blue 2 in 1 that has conditioning and uses selenium sulfide as its anti-dandruff ingredient. The sulfide portion seems to really help my skin. :)

i really like dove damage therapy in the dark blue bottle. do you have hair that is long and thick? i don't think it causes any build up for me bc my hair is thick and long. i agree with newdae .. baby shampoo is really gentle. i use it about once a week & i love the smell, too.

What kind shampoo and conditioner do you all recommend for long hair ? I've been using Pantene and it's been drying me out :(

Thanks

I used pantene for years, and it gave my hair a soft feel and nice glossy shine.

However, I've been growing my hair for the past 2 years, and it became very damaged from the pantene. Pantene is suitable short hair, but can ruin long hair.

I now use redken allsoft shampoo and alchemy vitamin masque moisturiser. My hair is now back to normal :)

I only do CO (conditioner only) washes. goggle it. It works wonders and still cleans hair. Verynice indeed.

CO washes are soooo moisturizing. :) Before falling in love with Dairy Whip I did CO washes with a weekly clarify. I wish I didn't have to clarify, but I use gel and could only get the "silk" feeling without greasies afterwards. I did like this method though.

By the way, if anyone is interested in CO washing, conditioner washes just as well as shampoo. You just have to put a little elbow grease into your fingertips on your scalp. This makes for a nice scalp massage and is boat loads less drying. This method is especially beneficial for Accutane users.

hi, hope everyone's well.

Caligirl I also have a little dryness, much improved since Ive been using organic sham&con' for a little over a year. I used to have long hair for years but cut it all off, hassle especially whilst playing footy/soccer always got in my face. When my hair was long I used head and shoulders mostly. Now Im using rosemary shampoo and conditioner by green people. Does anyone happen to use the Avalon organics range? is it any good? Im thinking of giving it a go.

Also Caligirl you can try massaging extra virgin olive oil in your hair once a week, to help dryness etc.

I keep reading good things about Biolage's conditioner, but it costs around $18 a bottle or something, and I figure I'd rather have dry hair then spend that much on shampoo...

My hair was in terrible condition as I had used hair straightners on a regular basis without protection spray. Biolage shampoo for dry hair saved the day where others failed. The conditioner is good, but it is a bit heavy and can make your hair lank. There are better ones on the market eg. Bedhead Moisture Madness.

There is a marked difference between grocery store dry hair shampoos and professional shampoos. If you have regular normal hair, I wouldn't bother paying the extra.

Ok so what are we talking about when we say long? Long as in bra strap lenght, waist, hip, classic, Knee, Terminal?

I have hip lenght hair, I have had long hair most of my life.

Everyone's hair is different and needs to be treated differently. For really long hair you should never ever let shampoo touch your lenght. Some long hairs dulute shampoo, others don't use any shampoo at all. (The CO wash method)

You need to try things out and see what works for you, the standard S & C might not be right for you.

There is only 2 brands of S & C that work together wonderfully on my hair, ABBA and J/A/S/O/N.