Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forumdw

Can running/sweating/losing weight cause breakouts?

I had to get in shape because I want to do water polo. Over the last month I have been weight training and running everyday. I have lost about 17 pounds. I have also broken out and have about 7 active pimples. Before this I could be clear for weeks with maybe 1 or 2 pimples every few weeks.

I am wondering if my exercise caused this breakout. What would be the science behind it? Did the bacteria come up from underneath the skin since I have beeen sweating so much everyday? I thought sweating was suppose to help acne.

It is very hard to say, since we are all different.

I have found that sweating is very good for preventing acne, although it isn't good for healing existing acne, in fact I found it made the exisiting acne worse.

Did you change your diet at all? If you have I would most likely assume that as the cause.

From what I hear when you start dieting or excerising, body building what have you not. If your calorie intake is more or less than usually then your body reacts to usually by a breakout. Theres more into it but im not really sure what happens. Just keep going at it and your skin will heal up and be better than usual

Yup, everyone is different.

I read about how exercisin causes the sweat to open the pores and it cleanses the skin (although you are supposed to shower right after so the sweat doesn't stay on your body too long). But I too started breaking out (including places other than my face) after I started exercising/eating better on a routine basis.

I also hike a lot and being outside for hours on end sweating out of every pore of your body and having it sit cannot be good (even wiping it off spradically only irritates the skin, IMO). But what can you do? You either stop doing what you love or keep going. That's all you can do. Using products can help, I guess, but don't aggravate your skin by washing it all the time.