Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naday

acne and food

I am a 39 year old woman. Last October (2007) I started to follow the eat right for your blood type diet (by Peter D'Adamo). It helped take care of most of my little health problems. However in February (2008) I started to get acne. Lots of it. Lots of little bumps under the skin all over my jaw line, and on my forehead. I had 30 little bups on one side of my face. Then, I started to get huge red painful zits on my cheeks.

I started to see my esthetician on a monthly basis. She would do peels, and facials it would help but within a few days I would start to break out again.

In June I started using Proactive, then in August I started using Dan's BP and moisturizer. It helped somewhat but I still had acne. Nothing seemed to work. I would get a new zit every couple of days. I was so depressed. I didn't even want to look at my self in the mirror but I did a hundred times a day to see if it was getting better but it never did. When I would be having a conversation with someone all I could think about was what they must be thinking of my acne. I started to notice everybody's facial skin. I could't understand what was causing this. I was eating right, drinking lots of watter, staying off sugar. I would look at these people scarfing down chips and burgers and they had beautif skin...

On night in September 08 as I was searching the web for any help I could find to cure me of this nightmare, I fell upon a site that talked about Soy products causing acne in some people. Well since my new way of eating I had added soy products to my diet. Soy milk every morning, tofu 2 or 3 times a week. So I decided to stop all soy products and within 3 WEEKS,my acne was 90% gone. It's been 2 months now since I've gotten any huge zits. I presently have 3 small white heads, nothing to compare with what I experienced when I was eating soy products. It's been 1 month now since I've used BP (at the end it was ginving me really bad red, blotchy, dry skin).

If you have tried many products thoroughly and nothing is helping, start looking at your diet. Eliminate one thing you eat often for at least 3 weeks to see if you see a difference. Mainly, dairy, soy, sugar.

My skin is really better now , if only I could get rid of the post acne scars!!!

Everyone's body reacts to things differently, I think the main culprit was your restrictive diet. The whole eating for a "blood type" diet is ridiculous.

By the way, I don't mean to offend you or anyone else. A lot of people depend on dairy and/or soy for nutrients in their diet and you should also realize that carbs break down into sugar almost immediately in your mouth (the amylase in your saliva breaks it down, and it obviously breaks down further in the rest of your GI tract).

Caffeine makes me break out but I cry, too (internally), when I see everyone else drinking coffee. It doesn't mean it's not for everyone!

Good luck to you!

P.S., I love soy and contrary to what people think, it does NOT contain estrogen, but it does contain phytoestrogens, meaning its chemical structure makes your body think it's estrogen. Everyone has different body chemistry, so maybe soy triggered that in you. I drink soy and eat tofu on a daily basis (I'm lactose intolerant, Asian) and during high school and early college I had beautiful (sigh) skin. I also never had coffee and really bad stress until these last two years.