Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lincoln78

Shaving Advice Needed

I have mild acne prone skin that I treat with various products. My skin is usually completly clear except for ingrown hairs, large red bumps, and white heads on my neck. I typically have 4-5 irritated spots at a time.

Here's my routine:

Wash face in shower with Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash Daily Scrub.

After shower, lather up with C&E Sandalwood soap or Trumpers Coconut oil cream using brush.

Shave with the grain (single pass) with Gillete Good News Pivot Plus.

Rinse and apply toner over entire face and neck.

Apply 2% beta hydroxy acid gel over shaving area.

Night time routine:

Wash face with soap

Exfoliate shave area with manual scrub pad

Rinse and apply toner

Apply 2% beta hydroxy acid gel

Spot treat irritation with benzoil peroxide cream

I've tried pre-shave oil with mixed results. It seems to cause breakouts on my neck. I've also tried aftershave balms, but the bumps/irritation continued.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I avoid using the neutrogena salyctic acid washes, they tend to dry my skin out. You should get a fogless mirror and shave while in the shower. Just get warm water on your face for at least a few min before appyling lather then shave. I found this method succesful without using washes of any kind.

I also use 1% beta hydroxy after I get out of the shower to moisturize.

shaving doesnt have to be that intense. well for me it isnt at least

i wash in the shower first of all. thats convenient

I wash my face with my cleaner, rinse with cold water for a couple seconds while in the shower

then i use shaving cream, any kind. I then shave with the grain, less irritation

i then rinse with cold water and im good to go.

No after i shave, i just go with my regimen once im out of the shower

Hope that helps. Cool water really helps!!

The razor i use is a 2 blade disposable which i only use once. I typically shave 4 or 5 times a week. I've checked the ingredients in the shave soap and cream that I use and everything looks good.

I am thinking of switching to a single balde razor but i have yet to find one that is a disposable that has a pivot head.

For now, i am cutting out the face scrub in the morning and will use my Paula's choice face wash. i will also stop doing the manual scrub at night. hopefully this does the trick.

Try using electric shaver. From my experience Braun is the way to go and stay away from the electric shavers with the three heads. They irritated my skin pretty bad. I really don't break out from shaving. You can wash your shaving area with hibiclens before shaving.

i agree with cutting out a bit of the scrubbing, and i also think that using a toner and BHA in the morning could be too much- they are both to do the same thing. i suggest using toner after shaving then bp. no matter how much scrubbing and toning you do, without bp, p.acnes bacteria will accumulate and will lead to pimples. also, the best way to avoid ingrowns and razor burn has been and always will be to use a DE razor. good luck!

I agree that you should try electric shaving. I recently switched and it hasn't been irritating at all, it is impossible to cut yourself and I haven't had any trouble with ingrown hairs. You can shave right over acne without any aggravation. I actually got a 3 headed norelco one though, but I'm sure braun works too.

Lincoln78, just reading your routine made my face hurt! STOP EXFOLIATING SO MUCH!!! You wash with a scrub, then use a shaving brush (which also exfoliates) then after shaving you apply 2% BHA??? Why?! You've already taken several layers of skin off with the shave. Then in the evening you scrub your shave area and apply MORE BHA?!!! Wow! That's WAY too much for one week, let alone a day! In my opinion, your daily shave is all the exfoliation you need for the shave area, just an application of BHA or a scrub on the nose and forehead once or twice a week is all that's necessary. I would also suggest you lose the Trumpers cream (those old style shaving creams contain very harsh ingredients) and soap isn't the best for clear pores. You may also want to find an alternative to the shaving oil as they usually contain essential oils which can be very irritating. A good fragrance-free foam or gel would be worth a try (Paula's Choice make a great gel). Also, I've found electric shavers to be kinder to spots. Perhaps apply a light moisturiser before use too.

Good luck!