Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are the general principles of eye contact? I am completely taken back by how this system works. Although I have no problem making eye contact with people when I talk to them, I have a probloem with eye contact with strangers.

Its not that I have trouble making eye contact per se, its I have trouble understanding when its apporpriate to make eye contact.

For example, whenever you walk around campus or a public area on a sidewalk, are you being rude if you look at the person the entire time you two are approaching each other down the sidewalk? Would that be rude? Weird even? Are you suppose to look around, down, up, and everywhere around you to pretend like theyre not there? Do you make eye contact with them from a distance, and then go back to looking straight forward? Or do you look straight forward and then make eye contact as you are approaching each other, pretending you didnt notice them until the last second. I'm baffled.

It gets even more complicated when there's more people, as you have to constantly decide where to place your eyes, because if you make this eye contact thats the least bit awkward, then the other people behind will notice, and then you feel even more scrutinized, and the effect of it just seems to snowball until you're finally out of the public's eye.

What's the eye contact etiquette of all this?

It depends on WHO you want to make eye contact with.

So if you wanna make eye contact with that hot girl at your 11o'clock, just stare into her eyes. Look through her, as though you are able to see her inner self. Add in a smile if you can. Weak eye contact turns women off. Never look down after breaking eye contact.

Basically, just look at everyone. Its normal.

I try not to make eye contact when I walk, as majority of people mistake it for attraction and tend to give you that nasty " as if you could have a chance " look :ninja: but when i'm talking to someone though I try to make eye contact because looking elsewhere when someone is talking to you is rude. When my lecturer talk and randomly looks my way I look back too and pretend i'm listening. I know throughout the years, when I wore less make-up most people didn't make eye contact with me because they couldn't bear to look at my acnee I guess. But anyway, you got to pick your moments to make eye contact. The arrogant would class random eye contact as you being attracted to them, and the nice people would make eye contact back and even nod and smile if you're lucky.

woah, this is something thats been bugging me lately too, go figure. I've finally been able to drastically reduce my acne by holistic means, but now still possess the mindset of when I had terrible skin. Eye contact is something that I'm terrible with; both in conversation and walking down a street. I feel like I've simply exchanged one 'prison' for another - albeit this one has nicer walls.

I make direct eye contact - mostly because as a woman, it's a sign that as I respect them, I demand the same respect. It's actually cut down on the amount of cat calling and general idiocy that I can get from people.

It's not easy, and sometimes I wonder if I make people uncomfertable, but I was told it's rude to stare at their face or clothes, so that leaves their eyes....

woah, this is something thats been bugging me lately too, go figure. I've finally been able to drastically reduce my acne by holistic means, but now still possess the mindset of when I had terrible skin.

that's what i'm afraid of. That after so long, even if I do manage to get clear skin, it won't change a damn thing. Maybe the person that acnee has moulded me into is really who I am now. :(

No longer than a fraction of a second. Those with acne would understand. I get SO paranoid when someone looks at me for longer.

I can have a hard time with this, too. Generally when others avoid making eye contact with me (talking about strangers, or anyone, really) I assume they want to avoid any kind of interaction with me. Although when I do it it's generally a flashback of when I had severe acne (or just bad self-esteem or whatevadafuck). I've gained some of my confidence back, however I still have to force myself to look where I should be 'correctly' be looking in that specific situation.

woah, this is something thats been bugging me lately too, go figure. I've finally been able to drastically reduce my acne by holistic means, but now still possess the mindset of when I had terrible skin.

that's what i'm afraid of. That after so long, even if I do manage to get clear skin, it won't change a damn thing. Maybe the person that acnee has moulded me into is really who I am now. :(

If we had a different mindset before and we changed to the one now, then logically we can change again. ;) Don't let acne overcome you, instead aim to re-capture your confidence, no matter how long it takes.

I think acne can be viewed as a character builder. It's hard to be egotistical or pompous when you have a face full of acne. Sure acne has many negative effects on character, for instance, low self esteem, but I would take the low self esteem over being an overly confident, in your face kind of guy.

About the issue of eye contact; when I pass a male I usually make eye contact for a second and nod or make some sign to acknowledge his presence. If it is a girl, especially one I am attracted to, I will look into her eyes until she looks back. Many times she will begin to smile and I will do the same in return. It makes me feel really good when this happens. Having a nice little connecting moment with a stranger can be uplifting to your mood. Often times I find myself continuing to smile long after the stranger and I have passed.