"Conditions LED light therapy does not help

* headache

* muscle ache from working out

* infection

* scars

* bunion reduction

* reverse osteoarthritis bone deformation

* any injury too deep or beneath bone like the brain "

In the very beginning of the article it states "This effect has been carefully studied in many published reports since 1987. The positive effects occur only in injured cells. There is no benefit to healthy cells. In the past, lasers were thought to be needed to provide the light, but it's been known since 1989 that LEDs are just as good."

What I took from this was that existing scars will not see much of a benefit ( if at all ) if the lights were used on the current scars alone. If however that area were reinjured, aka dermaroller, a new healing process would begin.

What I took from this was that existing scars will not see much of a benefit ( if at all ) if the lights were used on the current scars alone. If however that area were reinjured, aka dermaroller, a new healing process would begin.

This is what i have been telling people, they read that Light therapy doesn't improve scarring but i keep tellign them. You need combine light therapy with scar revision techniques, weather it be dermaroller, needling, peels, subscision etc. Add some topicals to the mix aswell and you get great results regardless of your normal healing capabilities.

I don't know why it took people so long to cotton on, i did my research as soon as i had scarring and put two and two together myself.

If you search i have been telling people to use light therapy for a long time, it makes NO sense in NOT using it. for a few hundred dollars you can amplify your results so much.

I wonder if I can buy the smaller handheld unit from the LEDman. Apart from coverage, the handheld unit shouldn't be any less effective than the 700 LED array - is that right?

This is what i have been telling people, they read that Light therapy doesn't improve scarring but i keep tellign them. You need combine light therapy with scar revision techniques, weather it be dermaroller, needling, peels, subscision etc. Add some topicals to the mix aswell and you get great results regardless of your normal healing capabilities.

I don't know why it took people so long to cotton on, i did my research as soon as i had scarring and put two and two together myself.

If you search i have been telling people to use light therapy for a long time, it makes NO sense in NOT using it. for a few hundred dollars you can amplify your results so much.

That's right you will just have to use it for 5 minutes in each area. So will take longer but you will still get the same effects.

lamarr, I want to thank you for bringing this information out to everyone. The science you spoke about behind the LEDs is there. By you also showing your results, you have shown everyone that techniques are out there that will work and for far less money than typical laser surgery or the severe downtime that can be associated with it.

Something I wanted to ask you, through your reading have you come across anything that mentioned negative effects from over using the lights? You mention using the 660s for 5 minutes and the yellow for 3. On the surface I would think that using the lights for longer periods of time could only further increase the benefits. What's your take?

Well from my reading there is optimal dosing for light therapy. If you exceed this you won't really get negative effects you will just miss out on the beneficial ones.

Let me give you an example. Most studies use Joules per cm2 of treated tissue. Now the dosage always varies and they test at which doses the light therapy works best. (usually around 4-8 joules per cm2).

Now once you start reaching 10-12 joules you will start to undo the beneficial effects. Having said that it is no this simple, because as you go deeper into the tissue the less energy reaches this depth. So for instance the arrays we buy from the LED man, you need roughly 5 minutes per area for 4 joules per cm2.

Bulgarian derm sometimes does a super dosing once per month or so, the reasoning behind this is that you treate the deeper tissues with the correct dosing, where as they may be under dosed by your standard regieme.

Now also i would like to add i have red a few cases where men have used LASERS normally used to treat hairloss on their face have suffered from fatloss. I cannot prove or dissprove these claims but i am guessing they delivered too much energy into the tissue. LEDs can't do this as readily anyway so LEDs for the face are far better IMO.

I hope this makes sense, let me know if it doesn't

Well from my reading there is optimal dosing for light therapy. If you exceed this you won't really get negative effects you will just miss out on the beneficial ones.

Let me give you an example. Most studies use Joules per cm2 of treated tissue. Now the dosage always varies and they test at which doses the light therapy works best. (usually around 4-8 joules per cm2).

Now once you start reaching 10-12 joules you will start to undo the beneficial effects. Having said that it is no this simple, because as you go deeper into the tissue the less energy reaches this depth. So for instance the arrays we buy from the LED man, you need roughly 5 minutes per area for 4 joules per cm2.

Bulgarian derm sometimes does a super dosing once per month or so, the reasoning behind this is that you treate the deeper tissues with the correct dosing, where as they may be under dosed by your standard regieme.

Now also i would like to add i have red a few cases where men have used LASERS normally used to treat hairloss on their face have suffered from fatloss. I cannot prove or dissprove these claims but i am guessing they delivered too much energy into the tissue. LEDs can't do this as readily anyway so LEDs for the face are far better IMO.

I hope this makes sense, let me know if it doesn't

It makes sense. To put in more practical terms, the studies you have read show that once you start reaching the mark of 10-12 joules per squared cm of tissue the benefits you can expect start to decline. Also, based on the LED man's arrays this equates in about 5 minutes per 880/660s and 3 minutes per the 590 yellows, hence the time intervals you use.

...and I have read where mentioned that lasers can amount into fat loss so using the LEDs is a much safer and practical way of receiving light therapy.

Many Thanks for the research lammar.

Bang on. Someone recently pm'd me about waiting for a while post wounding before using the light therapy, as inflammation is needed to initiate effective wound healing.

I agree with this point to some degree but i don't think the LEDs relieve all the inflammation (not even close). And we all know that inflammation is what damages the tissue in the first place.

I did however say that perhaps we can experiement with waiting say 48 hours post wounding before initiating light therapy. I personally think that irradiating the blood clott asap is best, but i may be proved wrong.

It seems there will be more than a few of us trying the lights. My LED is on order. We should be getting a lot of feedback. I think LEDMan is swamped with orders.

hey lamarr,

you know how you said that the LED's work only on injured cells, then what is the point of using it say 2 weeks after dermarolling when the cells have already healed up and are indeed healthy.

Collagen placement continues for up to 6 months post dermaroller/needling or any other procedure. Fibroblast stimulation is one of the main things light therapy does (fibroblasts create collagen if people didn't know).... People really need to read up on things it will give you a better idea of reasons for doing things!!