Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

well, i have a derm appointment at the end of the month. i have been putting off going because derms just bug me and give you what they think you need. so i just haven't bothered.

well, i am seriously considering Spiro now. i have thought of using it in the past but never did. now i am just fed up with being 32 and having acne. i had a bad breakout over the holiday and i was in tears...it's just so frustrating. I feel ugly all of the time. my husband is really great and never says a bad thing about it but he told me that's it, go to the derm if you feel this bad about it and demand they listen and give you what you want. so...i am going now and am going to stand my ground.

now, i have a few questions for those that have used it...i don't have oily skin, more dry or combo , but i have had acne sicne i was about 17. i have had 2 pregnancies and through both of them i had absolutely clear skin, during and for about 5 months after (until my period came back). It was so wonderful! Anyway- this of course leads me to believe that this is primarily hormomal and that something like Spiro would help me. What do you guys think? Is it worth a shot for me?

I have always feared antibiotics but i am so over this stuff now that i have to do something.

Thanks for reading.

I think spiro might be a good option for you, especially if your acne is concentrated around your cheeks, chin, and jawline. That's a telltale sign of hormonal issues. I've been on it since September, but I haven't had good results because my dose is too low and my derm refused to increase it. I'm seeing a new derm next week to get a dose that will actually help. One of my coworkers has been on it for a few years and her skin is like porcelain - she showed me some before pics and her acne was every bit as bad as mine. She had to have scars removed, but she doesn't have any problems now.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I normally breakout on my jawline and sides of my face (hairline), some on my cheeks. I am prett6y sure it's hormonal too so I was thinking it may really help, well, I am hoping anyway!

That is messed up that your derm won't up your dosage. How much are you on now and is it working at all, or is it making you worse, or just not doing anything? I am so scared of the initial breakout- which I am hoping I get lucky and not get!

I have read online that they usually start you at 50mg a day (25mg twice per day) and go up to 100mg. I do know though that a lot of ppl on here are up to 200mg though, which seems like a lot to me...but I wouldn't know.

I am not looking forward to going to the derm for that reason- but I am going to stand my ground and tell her what I want. I just know there is a possibility of her not doing it and having to go somewhere else. I just won't pay her ass if she does that, lol. I have had this for too long and read way too much for her to tell me what she thinks I need. My last derm pretty much told me, well try this stuff first, then if it doesn't work we'll try Spiro. Well, I never tried the stupid topicals they gave me so it was a wasit of a visit. I am just going to lie and say I have tried it all so give me what I want. :)

Good luck, we shoudl track our (hopeful) progress together! :)

Hi Heather,

I read another post in which a woman said that this happened to her as well--that pregnancy cleared her skin. I've put the link below. It might help you with some hormonal treatments.

I've taken Spiro. My experience is that past 100 mg and you have more side effects--wacky periods and sore boobs. Its not very common to take more than 100mg.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/time-clea...g-t216860.html#

I'm on 50mg right now, but I've been on that dose since September. The derm wanted me to wait SIX MONTHS before she would consider increasing it to 100mg! Of course I can tell she's never had a zit in her life, so she has no clue how psychologically damaging this can be.

She tried to do the same thing you mentioned - she said she was going to try me on a topical to see if that would help. I pulled out my long list of all the products I've tried (I had them categorized as topicals, antibiotics, OTC treatments, natural treatments) and she decided to add in the spiro.

Also, beware that Spiro can cause a drop in blood pressure...maybe the reason why the derms are hesitant to bump up your dose. I am very petite - only 98 lbs - so Spiro was not a good choice for me. At only 25mg per day, I always felt like fainting, and was dizzy, so I had to stop it. But if you don't have these issues at 50mg per day, you are probably fine.

I know that Spiro is the answer to many people's hormonal acne problems...in fact, my aunt is 42 and still suffers chin/jawline acne...she just had a hormone test done, which showed she had higher than normal levels of testosterone, and the Spiro has been working for her ever since. I have chin/jawline acne, too, but my hormone test results have come back normal time and time again. I guess everyone is different. Hope the Spiro works for you!

I started on spiro about 1 year ago. I'm 42 and it wasn't until my last dermatologist that someone suggested spiro instead of birth control. I was prescribed 50mg a day but I'm only taking 25mg because I don't want any more meds in my body than necessary. I still breakout very lightly (well, lightly for me) during my period, but as long as it stays this good, I'll stick with it.

Remember that it takes up to 6 months to see the full effects. My change was very gradual. It was probably 3 months before I started noticing a decrease of breakouts during my period.