Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
martan

toothbrush method

Hello,

I've been using the electric toothbrush method to exfoliate for around 6-7 days.

Has anyone else using this method experienced a breakout of small red spots - over that period, almost looks like a rash. My skin looks worse then when I started using it, and I'm thinking of giving up

cheers,

I'm not sure where you got this method from, but it doesn't sound very good to me. A toothbrush has hard bristle and is made for cleaning your bone teeth, not soft pores. It sounds like you're tearing up your skin far too much.

Less is more, cleanse gently for no more that a few seconds. If you want to exfoliate, try a gental exfoliating product.

Do you have a link anything on this method?

Yeah electric toothbrush method is pretty common but you gotta buy the ones with softer bristles or w/e. I've been using it every night the past weak and haven't noticed any pros or cons though.

Yeah electric toothbrush method is pretty common but you gotta buy the ones with softer bristles or w/e. I've been using it every night the past weak and haven't noticed any pros or cons though.
I dont recommend this at all. You sound like your skin is being irritated and irritation will lead to more acne. I've been through it all and when I started to give up the scrubbing type of exfoliation and switch to glycolic products my acne cleared up 10 fold. No kidding. I will never go back to the scrubbing ever again. I suggest you stop immediately before you damage yourself even more.

Yeah, given up - back on the basic regime. What are glycolic products?

See the middle link at the bottom of my signature for some glycolic acid product suggestions.

The red dots most definitely sound like irritation from excessive exfoliation. When used gently, I like the toothbrush method but I prefer the baby's hair brush method of exfoliation. GENTLE is key!

I saw this on another post and have been trying this for about a week.

Noticeably smoother skin! I have a tendency to have flaky skin and this

has been brilliant. I don't recognize my own skin! It can't be that smooth.

I bought my cheapie electric toothbrush from BigLots for three bucks.

Using Dove for sensitive skin. Sometimes I dab the toothbrush on the bar

if I run out of suds.

The trick for me is softening the bristles in really hot water and only using this exfoliating method as needed. The first time I tried I didn't soften the bristles and my skin looked angry for awhile after.

For me as needed is once a day or I skip a day if I don't notice any flakes. I alternate aloe immediately after or a heavier moisturizer if I'm really dry. Had a couple of spots that I thought were going to turn into big ugly zits but they didn't. And I didn't even add any zit killer to them(fell asleep).