Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
adorsey27

Ampicillin- Anyone used it?

Well when I first went to the doctor she gave me Doxycycline and it worked but I stayed outside in the sun all day and it gave me sun poisoning and Doxy was the reason why. So she gave me Ampicillin 500mg twice a day. It helps alright with keeping pimples away but doesn't help with redness and dryness.

Has anyone used it on here?

Well when I first went to the doctor she gave me Doxycycline and it worked but I stayed outside in the sun all day and it gave me sun poisoning and Doxy was the reason why. So she gave me Ampicillin 500mg twice a day. It helps alright with keeping pimples away but doesn't help with redness and dryness.

Has anyone used it on here?

I have used it-I thought it worked well on the acne control as well as the oil production. I learned to drink a lot of water and take probiotics while on it. What did the derm say about the redness and dryness?

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/acne3.html

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR AND ASPIRIN

2 YEA

[YEA] 05/21/2007: Debbie ([email protected]) from High Point, North Carolina writes: "My first time on your site. I truly enjoyed reading the info. I tried the ACV, WATER and ASPIRIN for acne and redness. I was amazed it almost completely went away the first time. I only left the mask on for about 2 or 3 minutes. I did not know how my skin would react and did not want to take a chance on doing any damage to my face. But I washed the mask off and my skin was glowing. A small amount of redness was left but I know tomorrow when I use the mask all of the redness will be gone and that is what I wanted. I had a burn from too many products . Your mask hepled tremendously. Thank you"

I've never tried this just remember seeing it

Well the doctor said there wasn't anything to do for the redness and for the dryness and flakyness that I could only put moisturizer on it and hoped that it helped. She had me on 2 500mg capsules a day and then bumped me down to one but now i'm breaking out again so I'm on 2 again. I just hate remembering to take it everyday.

What are probiotics and why did you take them while on Ampicillin?

So its basically like yogurt or something with yeast in it?

Does the Ampicillin help reduce facial redness for you? I have tried everything and can't seem to reduce it at all.

My doctor prescribed this to me at the same dosage (500mg twice a day). Also prescribed the topical version of erythormicin to put on face and body once in the morning, and topical ziana at night.

I never started any of this because:

1. I originally went to dr for chronic itching. Dr said it's atophy. He told me to stay away from water and keep moisturizing all day. If I need to shower, only 1 no more than twice a week. Gross. I told him I also have acne on face and body, so he prescribed me the above.

2. Ampicillin-I've heard you breakout again once you stop taking oral acne medication, which means I'll have to take it for years until somehow my acne disappears. I've heard long term use of these drugs can be dangerous.

3.Topical treatments-Both are said to cause initial breakouts, esp Ziana. For some, it never went away.

4.Price-You're supposed to take the medication and topical treatments long enough to pass that "breakout" phase, but Ziana is $400-500 per small tube. I probably won't be able to afford this and will run out of the first tube I buy before I finish the treatment cycle.

CARRIE54-How long did the dr say you should take this for? Also, do you breakout again if you stop taking the pills?

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks for the info! Yea, I had the same problem with the emailing. I realized my email alerts were on off.

Atophy (or atopic dermatitis) is a milder form of dermatitis. The severce cases experience crustation, itchiness, swelling, and all the other horrible stuff. I just have the itching thankfully. I'm not sure, but I also have itching and dryness on my cheeks. From what I've read here, it sounds like I might have seb. dermatitis, or just reaaallly dry cheeks. Apparently, all this comes from my allergies. My face is the cause of over-drying proactiv/acne products. sigh.

I've just read some things on ampicillin, and it seems like one of the milder antibiotics. I guess if you don't breakout more than what you started with by getting of the meds, it would be fine to take them. I know some people took things like accutane and ended up with more acne once off them.

12 years and still alive with no medical complications? I guess a couple years won't be that bad =)

once again, thanks and good luck to you too!

My doctor prescribed this to me at the same dosage (500mg twice a day). Also prescribed the topical version of erythormicin to put on face and body once in the morning, and topical ziana at night.

I never started any of this because:

1. I originally went to dr for chronic itching. Dr said it's atophy. He told me to stay away from water and keep moisturizing all day. If I need to shower, only 1 no more than twice a week. Gross. I told him I also have acne on face and body, so he prescribed me the above.

2. Ampicillin-I've heard you breakout again once you stop taking oral acne medication, which means I'll have to take it for years until somehow my acne disappears. I've heard long term use of these drugs can be dangerous.

3.Topical treatments-Both are said to cause initial breakouts, esp Ziana. For some, it never went away.

4.Price-You're supposed to take the medication and topical treatments long enough to pass that "breakout" phase, but Ziana is $400-500 per small tube. I probably won't be able to afford this and will run out of the first tube I buy before I finish the treatment cycle.

CARRIE54-How long did the dr say you should take this for? Also, do you breakout again if you stop taking the pills?

Thanks a bunch!

I'm beginning to think we went to the same derm. My dermatologist also prescribed me this combo of Ziana, Ampicillin, and a gel Erythromycin- this was about 3 years ago. I've tried this combination and it was one of the ONLY treatments that worked for me. I think it is more of the antibiotic than the others- Erythromycin was way too irritating so I've stopped that after a month. When I went off Ampicillin about a year and a half later, I started breaking out again- badly.

With Ziana, you can get a savings card from the DR so you won't pay more than 25$ for a tube-

ive been on everything and my doc just put me on ampicillin 500mg twice a day and he is also having me just washing my face morning and night with dove soap bar ... did ampicillin work for anyone did it cause any initial break out?