Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
davewaks

accutane and online pharmacies

hey all, long time reader first time poster. im 18 years old and have pretty bad cystic acne on my back, arms, and chest. i went to a derm who immediately prescribed accutane. i took the prescription to my pharmacy and the problem is, insurance doesnt cover it. the 6 month regimen would cost around $450 a month from them. i decided not to do it, as i certainly cant afford it and dont want to put that financial strain on my parents. i got to thinking about online pharmacies and have been looking at some of the legitimate canadian ones. they arent the cheapest online, but they have lots of reviews and i know they are legit. from these sites, i could get my prescription for around $250 a month, a considerable savings. my question is, does this mean i will have to GO BACK to my derm and have him write another prescription to send to an online pharm since i already dropped it off at my pharmacy? i really want to avoid this as there is a fee of around $50 just for a visit.

thanks,

dave

woah thats pretty crappy that some insurance companies wont cover it. i dont know what i would do. have your doctor call and talk to ur insurance company?

hey all, long time reader first time poster. im 18 years old and have pretty bad cystic acne on my back, arms, and chest. i went to a derm who immediately prescribed accutane. i took the prescription to my pharmacy and the problem is, insurance doesnt cover it. the 6 month regimen would cost around $450 a month from them. i decided not to do it, as i certainly cant afford it and dont want to put that financial strain on my parents. i got to thinking about online pharmacies and have been looking at some of the legitimate canadian ones. they arent the cheapest online, but they have lots of reviews and i know they are legit. from these sites, i could get my prescription for around $250 a month, a considerable savings. my question is, does this mean i will have to GO BACK to my derm and have him write another prescription to send to an online pharm since i already dropped it off at my pharmacy? i really want to avoid this as there is a fee of around $50 just for a visit.

thanks,

dave

I don't know much about Canadian pharmacies, but it was my understanding that they don't require a script, and that is because they sell fake Tane that is not regulated by the government, this can be very dangerous because you never know how high a dosage you are putting into your body, Vitamin A (in Accutane) in high doses can cause SEVERE side effects, if not properly regulated. Please get it in the US, it is not safe bought online, their is a whole warning section on it on the top of the message board, I believe. Get a credit card, CareMark credit, or try and save to buy the legit thing. Trust me, this isn't something you want to bargain hunt for.

Please listen to msusan, this is absolutely not something to bargain hunt for.

See this thread.. where I have stated my points about the online purchase of accutane.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/buying-ac...cr-t217772.html

Also, m.susan, according to the moderators this site endorses the purchase of accutane online with a prescription. I think it's appalling to know that this site encourages the purchase of drugs online, knowing full well that young people read these threads and trust the moderators' advice. A lot of young people would not be able to tell the difference between a legit and an illegitimate pharmacy, therefore putting them in an incredibly dangerous situation.

I am very opposed to endorsing online purchase of drugs, especially accutane.

I also think it's amusing that they closed the thread I noted above once I had indicated that they were clearly contradicting themselves.

This site does not "endorse" or "encourage" anything at all with regards to Accutane purchases. I defy you to point out one single place where Acne.org does any such thing.

These are the board rules, pure and simple:

Discussion of illegally acquired Accutane is not allowed. Those posts/threads are closed, invis'd, dumped; warnings are issued. Please report offending posts & threads whenever you see them.

Discussion of legally acquired Accutane is allowed. So long as no other rules are broken and discussions stay on track, the moderators do not interfere.

Regarding m.susan's post .... legitimate Canadian pharmacies do indeed require prescriptions. Canada is an extremely civilized and well-regulated First World country and I fail to see why you would assume that their pharmacies sell fake drugs.

For more information regarding safe and unsafe online purchasing, please refer to http://www.nabp.net/ -- particularly the link on online pharmacies.

Regarding the thread carmen87 linked to .... it was closed because it had degenerated into pointless repetition. No posts were invis'd. No endorsements were made. Several moderators stated what the rules are regarding Accutane posts on this site, and carmen87 misrepresented their posts repeatedly.

The moderating team feels that we have been as clear on this point as it is possible to be, and that should resolve the matter. Further deliberate misrepresentations of site policy will be regarded as trolling and handled accordingly.

thanks,

dave

And now, back on topic.

Dave -- I suggest that you call your dermatologist's office and explain your problem. The office staff should be able to help you get a new copy of your prescription. I don't think another visit should be necessary.

Any chance you can you get the original prescription back? Just tell the pharmacy you've decided to go somewhere else.

i buy my accutane (claravis) at costco for $310. I bought 60 pills of the 40mg. It used to be $260 though. Walmart also sells it for like $305. You should look into getting the generic accutane at one of those places instead. Just 50 bucks more than $250.