Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
misselizabeth

Acne and complete personality change

I was sitting in a psychology lesson the other day and the lecturer said that most psychologists believe that personality stays more or less the same throughout life. But I was thinking to myself this isn't true and I'm (and probably many of you are) proof of this. Before I got acne, I was popular, confident (well, at least able to answer a question in class without turning bright red when everyone turns to look at me!), optimistic, I never fussed about my appearance, happy, etc. etc. But now I think I am COMPLETELY the opposite. I only have a few good friends but I spend my weekends at home, I have no confidence whatsoever - I never answer questions in lessons because I go BRIGHT RED when everyone looks at me (I'm used to this now though and I think everyone else is!), I have a really negative outlook on life, like I'm always saying to my mum "oh, I'm never gonna get married, I'm just gonna grow old and lonely with a brown leather sofa and a cat for company" (lol) and I almost constantly think about my appearance. I think my personality completely changed and it's all down to acne. Does anyone else feel this way and do you think it's possible to ever go back to your old ways, the days of confidence and happiness and not caring about what people think of you? I personally don't. Oh well, I guess acne has taught me not to judge others on their appearance so much. Shame that 99% of people don't think like this though eh?! :)

You barely have to scratch the surface in the message boards to realise that your personality change is very common for people that have acne. I had a major personality nose dive I was confident, outgoing etc but then acne occured and I had a huge confidence disaster. It was so bad that I began to have panick attacks and ended up in counselling. However I eventually decided thatI wouldnt let acne destroy all the prospects in my life and I went to uni. The experience completely changed me, I emerged 3 years later with a great group of friends and felt like my old self again and once more I STILL had acne, but importantly I dont let it effect me in the way it used to. So I guess im trying to say that you can regain your old personality again, you just got to have time and take a few risks (not easy I know!)....dont give up.

Anyway keep on fighting the good fight ;)

I was never confident before acne and always turned red if I was asked a question in class so it hasn't changed me much there. But there has been a definite shift in what I think about appearance, I'm far more critical of myself and others in that respect.

I'm not entirely sure that's completely acne's fault though because around 18ish is when most people start to scrutinize themselves, I think its just part of growing up. Eventually I think I will get a grip on myself, even though I still have acne I'm proud to say I'm getting more confident bit by bit. Simple things like clothes make a difference, if you wear what you want to wear, be who you want to be, it helps your identity become more steadfast. I see it as preparation time now, there are going to be far tougher challenges than acne in my future, if I can emerge through this knowing who I am and sticking to my principles I can get through whatever in life is to come.

I think that it is perhaps a temporary personality change. I feel like my true personality is shrouded in a mist created by acne. When my acne is gone the mist will be gone as well and my personality will shine. I KNOW what my personality is the only problem is I cannot express it while I have acne because as much as I want to it seems impossible for me to do.

I do believe that peoples personalities change though, in 7th grade I was a huge asshole and loved war etc. big conservative jerk and now I'm a peace loving book reader who accepts everybody and lives life happily (besides acne). I mean we all change in some way I guess.

Perhaps you are the same as me, you have a great personality but you just cannot express it yet. I would consider it temporary because when your acne is gone, you will feel back to normal I'm sure. You will probably have a few new views on things (like not to look at the outside only etc. like a lot of people see when they clear up) but overall I think you will be that same happy person you used to be.

I think your lecturer is right. Acne hasn't changed my personality but it definetly changed how I behave.

I watched some old home videos with my family a few weeks ago. In the first video I was 11 and acne free. I was eager to see how I looked on video. I was behaving like a goofball, cracking jokes, saying all kinds of silly things. I was happy to have the spotlight on me. I was unshakably confident.

Three years later, I'm 14 and my face is loaded with cystic acne. It was hard to tell I was in the video because I was hiding from the camera. When the camera was pointed in my direction, I contorted myself into all sorts of awkward positions to prevent the worst of my acne from being filmed.

I feel that my true personality is closer to what was shown in the first video. Yet, now I am rarely that confident and carefree. Acne and acne scars have been like a wet blanket on my personality and my entire life. Worries about my appearance have thoroughly infiltrated my thought processes. Acne affects everything I do even though I am not consciiously thinking about it. I never feel like I can completely be myself, I'm always inhibited by my appearance. I feel like I have been tied up in straight jacket for a long time.