Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fixthis

apple cider vinegar questions...

i'm 20 years old and i was blessed with very few pimples in high school...i'd get a couple bumps and maybe a zit or 2 once in a while, but it was no big deal.

for some reason 2 months ago i started to break out really bad on my jaw and a little bit on my cheeks and neck.

i had been mixing aspirin in my face wash before this and that kept my skin really nice.

i stopped for a while and thats when the acne got bad. so i tried starting the aspirin wash again and it didn't do anything. i tried BP and it just aggravated my skin.

usually my skin would clear up if i drank a ton of water, but that didn't help either.

so i decided to try wiping ACV on my face after i washed it and it immediately helped. i also used this tea tree oil spot treatment stuff (roll on)

after a few days my face was really clearing up

then i spent the night at a friends for one night and missed the ACV treatment...

2 days later here i am with a horrible, painful breakout on my jaw again...and a few painful ones on my cheeks. 2 of them on my jaw are cyst-like

is that part of the purging?

i also started to drink the acv a few days ago....

thats what i'm wondering too! the first fews days using it i swear my skin was looking so much better! now i'm on two weeks and 3 days and getting pimples all over my face? I hope this is the purging stage......

thats what i'm wondering too! the first fews days using it i swear my skin was looking so much better! now i'm on two weeks and 3 days and getting pimples all over my face? I hope this is the purging stage......

I asked the very same question in one of the ACV threads. I've been taking it for about two weeks now, and right now it's a little bit too early to tell if it's working. I've had some minor breakouts during this period and am not sure if it's due to a previous cycle or related to purging...but with the exception of being intolerant of the substance, ACV has to be good for the body right?

I've been taking ACV for about a month now. From what I've understood, the acne clearing benefit from ACV is the alkaline/acid balancing, and the effect on blood glucose levels.

Alkaline/Acid Balance:

- Problem: "The theory behind the alkaline diet is our blood is slightly alkaline, with a normal pH level of between 7.35 and 7.45. Our diet should reflect this pH level and be slightly alkaline. All foods we eat, after being digested and metabolized, release either an acid or alkaline base (bicarbonate) into blood. The foods that people tend to overeat –- grains, meat, dairy products -- all produce acid. " (1)

- Solution: "Despite being an acidic solution, some proponents of apple cider vinegar believe it has an alkalinizing effect on the body, which is why one to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water is recommended as a daily health tonic." (1)

- Summary: The general idea is that the food we commonly eat (especially in the american diet) causes our blood to become more acidic which leads to health problems. The ACV helps to balance the blood pH level's back to normal, so you don't want to make your body too alkalitic if your body is at a normal pH level already.

To regulate this balance, you can test your body's pH levels using Litmus Paper or pH test strips that you can purchase online (easiest source) or at a local drugstore.

Also, remember that this is a process, and you don't want to take large amounts of ACV hoping to reach a normal level overnight. Take the recommended dosage regardless of how acidic your test results are, and eventually you'll reach the desired normal pH balance.

Blood Glucose Levels:

- Problem: "The recent low glycemic-load hypothesis postulates that rapidly digested carbohydrate foods (such as soft drinks, sweets, white bread) produce an overload in blood glucose (hyperglycemia) that stimulates the secretion of insulin, which in turn triggers the release of IGF-1. IGF-1 has direct effects on the pilosebaceous unit (and insulin at high concentrations can also bind to the IGF-1 receptor) and has been shown to stimulate hyperkeratosis and epidermal hyperplasia. These events facilitate acne formation. Sugar consumption might also influence the activity of androgens via a decrease in sex hormone-binding globulin concentration."

- Solution: "Studies suggest that vinegar (both apple cider vinegar and other types) may help to lower glucose levels." (1)

"The acetic acid in vinegar is thought to slow starch digestion and reduce the glycemic index of starchy foods." (1)

- Summary: High glycemic-load foods over-stimulate the secretion of insulin which triggers the release of IGF-1. The release of too much IGF-1 causes physiological events that can facilitate in acne formation. Taking ACV lowers blood glucose levels which reduces the secretion of insulin and IGF-1.

------------------------

My Personal Recommendations:

Once your body's pH level is balanced at a normal level, you'll need to regulate how much and how often you ingest ACV take it to help maintain that balance. To determine this, you'll use the pH test (Litmus Paper).

For ACV's beneficial effects for lowering blood glucose levels, take ACV with your meals.

Anyhow, I hope this information helps with better understanding the effects of taking ACV in regards to your recent acne flare-ups.

I personally don't believe that ACV is the cure-all solution for acne, so putting all of your hopes into ACV to rid yourself of acne will eventually bring disappointment. There are many reasons why people have acne, and while ACV does help reduce the frequency for a few causes, it doesn't effect the others.

The best results I've experienced came from eating a non-dairy, non-gluten, low-glycemic diet, balancing my omega-3 to omega-6 consumption closer to a 1:1 ratio, supplementing vitamin b5 with other vitamin's and minerals, exercising regularly, proper hygiene, and regulating my consumption of ACV with meals to my body's current pH level.

------------------------

Reference:

1.) "Apple Cider Vinegar" Written by Cathy Wong for About.com, Updated: December 28, 2007

I've been taking ACV for about a month now. From what I've understood, the acne clearing benefit from ACV is the alkaline/acid balancing, and the effect on blood glucose levels.

Alkaline/Acid Balance:

- Problem: "The theory behind the alkaline diet is our blood is slightly alkaline, with a normal pH level of between 7.35 and 7.45. Our diet should reflect this pH level and be slightly alkaline. All foods we eat, after being digested and metabolized, release either an acid or alkaline base (bicarbonate) into blood. The foods that people tend to overeat –- grains, meat, dairy products -- all produce acid. " (1)

- Solution: "Despite being an acidic solution, some proponents of apple cider vinegar believe it has an alkalinizing effect on the body, which is why one to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water is recommended as a daily health tonic." (1)

- Summary: The general idea is that the food we commonly eat (especially in the american diet) causes our blood to become more acidic which leads to health problems. The ACV helps to balance the blood pH level's back to normal, so you don't want to make your body too alkalitic if your body is at a normal pH level already.

To regulate this balance, you can test your body's pH levels using Litmus Paper or pH test strips that you can purchase online (easiest source) or at a local drugstore.

Also, remember that this is a process, and you don't want to take large amounts of ACV hoping to reach a normal level overnight. Take the recommended dosage regardless of how acidic your test results are, and eventually you'll reach the desired normal pH balance.

Blood Glucose Levels:

- Problem: "The recent low glycemic-load hypothesis postulates that rapidly digested carbohydrate foods (such as soft drinks, sweets, white bread) produce an overload in blood glucose (hyperglycemia) that stimulates the secretion of insulin, which in turn triggers the release of IGF-1. IGF-1 has direct effects on the pilosebaceous unit (and insulin at high concentrations can also bind to the IGF-1 receptor) and has been shown to stimulate hyperkeratosis and epidermal hyperplasia. These events facilitate acne formation. Sugar consumption might also influence the activity of androgens via a decrease in sex hormone-binding globulin concentration."

- Solution: "Studies suggest that vinegar (both apple cider vinegar and other types) may help to lower glucose levels." (1)

"The acetic acid in vinegar is thought to slow starch digestion and reduce the glycemic index of starchy foods." (1)

- Summary: High glycemic-load foods over-stimulate the secretion of insulin which triggers the release of IGF-1. The release of too much IGF-1 causes physiological events that can facilitate in acne formation. Taking ACV lowers blood glucose levels which reduces the secretion of insulin and IGF-1.

------------------------

My Personal Recommendations:

Once your body's pH level is balanced at a normal level, you'll need to regulate how much and how often you ingest ACV take it to help maintain that balance. To determine this, you'll use the pH test (Litmus Paper).

For ACV's beneficial effects for lowering blood glucose levels, take ACV with your meals.

Anyhow, I hope this information helps with better understanding the effects of taking ACV in regards to your recent acne flare-ups.

I personally don't believe that ACV is the cure-all solution for acne, so putting all of your hopes into ACV to rid yourself of acne will eventually bring disappointment. There are many reasons why people have acne, and while ACV does help reduce the frequency for a few causes, it doesn't effect the others.

The best results I've experienced came from eating a non-dairy, non-gluten, low-glycemic diet, balancing my omega-3 to omega-6 consumption closer to a 1:1 ratio, supplementing vitamin b5 with other vitamin's and minerals, exercising regularly, proper hygiene, and regulating my consumption of ACV with meals to my body's current pH level.

------------------------

Reference:

1.) "Apple Cider Vinegar" Written by Cathy Wong for About.com, Updated: December 28, 2007

That's an absolutely incredible overview of ACV. I've heard about it but never entirely understood its effects on the body. Thanks for really laying it out.

I read reports of people mentioning they felt ACV made their candida (yeast) infection symptoms worse before they got better while taking ACV due to what is known as Herxheimer reaction.

The Herxheimer reaction occurs when large quantities of toxins are released into the body as bacteria die. Typically, the death of these bacteria and the associated release of endotoxins occurs faster than the body can remove the toxins via the natural detoxification process performed by the kidneys and liver. It is manifested by fever, chills, headache, muscle pain, and exacerbation of skin lesions. The intensity of the reaction reflects the intensity of inflammation present.

The reaction occurs because ACV's alkalizing effects makes it difficult for candida to survive in your stomach.

Hey Brenton, does that mean its gonna get better though? You know the saying it gets worse before it gets better? I'm a little confused LOL you sound extremely intelligent by the way!

ah thanks. i try to be as well informed as possible before drinking stuff that looks like muddy water and smells like a gym sock lol.

since i don't know the severity of your acne pre-ACV, your current diet, or any other acne treatments you might be trying, i can't really give you specific advice about whether or not to continue taking ACV.

i will say that when i started ACV, my acne flared a bit around my mouth and chin. it was disheartening at first because my skin had been looking clear from the rest of my regimen, but i figured it'd be better for my overall health (trying to look at the big picture instead of the immediate situation) to better balance my blood pH levels and to keep candida yeast in my gut under better control. after three weeks of sticking with ACV, my face was acne free, and the residual red spots from that initial breakout were almost completely faded. i'm feeling much better lately, and i'm noticing that i don't feel the need to eat as many sweet foods as i did a month ago.

if your skin is reacting so badly that it's depressing you, and/or causing your skin feel sore, then try reducing how much you are taking or how often you are taking it.

i read another forum post about someone who was allergic to apples and had a terrible reaction to ACV, so that's something else to keep in consideration; food allergies.

everyone's body is different and what might work well for one person, might not work well for you. if your skin is still having adverse reactions to the ACV a month from now, then it might be best to stop drinking it, and call your doctor to schedule an allergy test. actually, you should get an allergy test done regardless because it might help you find out whether something you are currently eating is exacerbating your acne.

Just thought I would put my 2 cents in. I broke out around week 2-3 on ACV. Not TERRIBLY, but enough to make me question if I should continue to use it. I did continue to use it, figuring that by changing a regime again, my face would only break out again. This seems to always be the case. I almost always have an initial breakout with anything. Anyways, today is the 1st day of my 4th week and I must say I have not felt this good since I was about 12 (i am 20 now--haha well i will be in a week anyways). My goal was to actually be clear by the time I was 20... I don't want to spend my 20's obsessing about my skin... i am not a teenager anymore.

Anyhow, i will not claim that ACV is the cure all either. My skin is far from perfect, I have mild scarring and red marks. I quit tanning and my complexion was looking rather dull, but I went again today and already my skin is starting to glow. Despite what most people say about acne and tanning I have always found it helped a lot. Vitamin D is important for the skin and the way I see it, too much of something is bad but so is not enough, so I just hit up the tanning bed once a week.

The last week I had completley clear skin. I now have 2 pimples but I blame that on my hormonal week. And they are healing up extremely quick and I do give thanks to the ACV for that. Basically my rule of thumb is to try anything new for at least 2 months. If you are not happy with the results, then move on. All I can say is I have never been happier with anything than I am with the ACV.