Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brenmc

HELP!!! Bactrim

I was on bactrim for 8 months and had perfect skin, I went off cause I got a few zits and bam worst breakout of my life. I've been back on it for 2 weeks now and I'm still getting cysts. How long should I keep taking it until I determine if I'm resistant to it? Please share your experiences!

I was on bactrim for 8 months and had perfect skin, I went off cause I got a few zits and bam worst breakout of my life. I've been back on it for 2 weeks now and I'm still getting cysts. How long should I keep taking it until I determine if I'm resistant to it? Please share your experiences!

They "Derms" like to switch antibiotics around, if they can find some that work. If the bactrim has lost it's effectiveness go see a derm and see if you can switch to another one. They will no doubt throw doxy or mino at you "that would be my guess" there's also tetracycline and a few others they are now using. Bactrim is the strongest antibiotic they will give you for acne. Most won't give you bactrim, because of the possible side effects and it's now the only AB that will work on a current staff infection that seems to be running a muck out there. I have heard of one guy using bactrim for 4 years, so who knows. Doxy, mino and tetracycline usually take 3 weeks or more to kick in. Also there's several topical ways you can fight back-I never had much luck with them, but they do help. Good Luck