Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mozztitty

Adding SA?

Hello, I"ve been on the DKR for a little over three months now. I have my good and bad weeks. Acne is *almost* completely under control, and I think SA might be the key. Would it be ok for me to use Neutrogena Oil Free Acne wash as a cleanser instead of Dan's, and then continue with the BP & Moisturizer after that?

Thanks --

well, supposedly SA is deactivated by the BP if both are on your face at the same time. So I don't know if it would help at all, but you might want to check into that

well you better try it first...I think its ok to combine those two...I mean the Neutrogena facial wash that has salicylic acid and Dan's BP :rolleyes:

yeah i think you should but add it slowly because it can cause a lot of irritation. This is verry important - a salicylic acid cleanser would not provide much exfoliation if any at all because the SA has to be on the skin for a while for it to work. The ph would also be too alkaline. Your best bet is to buy a SA lotion with 2% SA at a ph of about 3-4, otherwise you would not get any results. Hope that helps.

I agree with the above poster. If you're going to add in SA into your routine, a cleanser is not the best way to do it--not very effective but pretty drying. I'd recommend a lotion like Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Lotion, Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Treatment, one of Paula Begoun's BHA products, or Dan's salicylic acid lotion which you can get for testing here. You could use these in place of BP once a day, or if the consistency is agreeable and you don't find the treatment too irritating, even in conjunction with the BP once a day. I've been using Dan's tester salicylic acid lotion treatment along with half my usual amount of BP at night, and this is rather drying but not irritating.

First SA does not inhibit BP at all, the only thing that i know of which inhibits bp are retinoids. I actually added SA into my regimen (DKR) like a month ago, it has helped A LOT. I use PC 2% BHA gel in the night after i wash my face and before i put BP on. There is no extra irritation, just a little bit more flaking in the morning, which jojoba oil takes complete care of. There are a bunch of other posts about using SA, u should try to find them. In my experience though it majorly helped me.