Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mesmer

Excessively Oily

I noticed that there are already a lot of oily skin topics on this forum, but none of them seem to quite help... so here's another one. ;)

I have an amazingly oily face. Like, far worse than anyone else I've ever seen. The oil gets so bad that it actually gets into my eyes and impairs my vision about 7 hours after washing my face. Right now it's about 12 hours since my last wash; you could use my face to oil a frying pan, and I'm having trouble seeing my monitor screen. When pictures are taken of my face, the light shines off of it so much that it looks like its glowing.

I've tried oil blotting sheets - there's just too much oil for one sheet to get. I can't wash my face more than twice per day, as I'm afraid that would over-irritate my skin. I'm not sure what's causing the oilyness, although I suspect it might be the moisturizer I'm using. However, I've tried switching between moisturizers, and changing seems to have no effect. If I don't use moisturizer, my skin comes off in flakes (due to benzoyl peroxide use) so not using any isn't really an option.

What can I do to keep the excessive oil out of my eyes and off of my face, so that I can start living normally again? :/

What is the moisturizer your using and the excessive oil might be from your dry skin. Did you think of taking B5 or some fish oil pills?

The moisturizer is Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, about which I've heard some negative reviews concerning oil - but switching to a different brand did not seem to help. I haven't looked into B5 or fish oil pills yet; thanks for the recommendation.

I found out that the sebum that seeps into my eyes was causing chronic irritation, so I started putting warm compacts on my eyes prior to washing at night, and it really helped. I also carefully wash my eyelids twice per day rubbing the cleanser into my eyelashes to remove as much oil as possible. (My cleanser doesn't sting.)

My eyelashes brush my glasses, smear oil on them, and then smear the oil back on me, so I wash them twice per day with dish detergent and then rubbing alcohol. If they get too smeared up and my eyes are burning in the middle of the day, I do an extra washing (no alcohol, though).

I use 6 or more oil blotting papers per use, which is kind of expensive, but it's the best solution I've found.

I'm not really in love with any moisturizer and rarely use one, but Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Moisture Gel is the lightest and has the most matte texture of the ones I've tried. If you're flaking badly, it might not be enough, though.

queen helene mint juleep masque works for me. I am also excessively oily. :( it only works for that day you use it, and if you use it everyday, it can dry out your skin. i really havent found a perm solution other than blotting my face every hour. :X

I'm excessively oily too and I hate it! I heard that you shouldn't use oil blotters too much cos by removing all of the oil, your skin will produce more oil to compensate the loss..so i guess it only solves the problem temporarily...i was advised to take one ply of tissue paper and gently dab around the face to remove a just nice amount of oil..at least it get rids of the embarassing shine.

I know you shouldn't wash ur face more than twice or thrice a day, but when my face gets way too oily (living in a tropical climate doesnt help much btw), I'd use a very mild cleanser like cetaphil. Making me feel fresher is a plus.

Okay, I know you guys have heard this a thousand times before but drinking lots of water really does help to keep the skin matte throughtout the day. Do it everyday, make it a habit, stick by it. I drank like 2-3 litres of water daily and my skin has never looked better.

I'm excessively oily too and I hate it! I heard that you shouldn't use oil blotters too much cos by removing all of the oil, your skin will produce more oil to compensate the loss..so i guess it only solves the problem temporarily...

You heard WRONG, dear. That's one of the great Urban Myths that keep getting repeated on sites like this. Your sebaceous glands don't work that way, they just keep producing their oil continuously, without regard to how much is sitting on the surface. They don't know and, more importantly, they don't care about how much oil is on the surface. They just do their thing on a steady basis. Understand what I'm saying?

^^ theres got to be a way to tell the sebum glands, STOP, do you use accutane? i too am sick of my oily forhead and cheeks. its a pain, i also get oil in my eye and i have to rub them every 5 minutes. I never had this problem until i used BP, so what is the answer.. sebum is making things really uncomfortable.

I noticed that there are already a lot of oily skin topics on this forum, but none of them seem to quite help... so here's another one. ;)

I have an amazingly oily face. Like, far worse than anyone else I've ever seen. The oil gets so bad that it actually gets into my eyes and impairs my vision about 7 hours after washing my face. Right now it's about 12 hours since my last wash; you could use my face to oil a frying pan, and I'm having trouble seeing my monitor screen. When pictures are taken of my face, the light shines off of it so much that it looks like its glowing.

I've tried oil blotting sheets - there's just too much oil for one sheet to get. I can't wash my face more than twice per day, as I'm afraid that would over-irritate my skin. I'm not sure what's causing the oilyness, although I suspect it might be the moisturizer I'm using. However, I've tried switching between moisturizers, and changing seems to have no effect. If I don't use moisturizer, my skin comes off in flakes (due to benzoyl peroxide use) so not using any isn't really an option.

What can I do to keep the excessive oil out of my eyes and off of my face, so that I can start living normally again? :/

From the way you are describing your condition, it looks like BP is contributing alot to your problem. Adding moisturize afterwards will always make someone with oily skin appear/ be more oily. I know, I have been dealing with very oily skin my entire life.

Sulfur is an excellent alternative to using BP. I have been using sulfur bars ( Kavi Coral) for a couple years now with great results. You wont get the irritation from sulfur as you do with BP.

I'll give you a couple links to bring you up to speed.

The people at Kavi are very professional to deal with and their products are high quality. Along with the sulfur bar, Kavi offers other products containing sulfur such as an organic sulfur topical.

The benefits of sulfur on the skin: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0PD..._3/ai_n12417035

Kavi site: http://www.kaviskin.com/

good luck

I also have VERY oily skin on my face. Gets in my eyes and I am sick of it...HELP to get rid of it?

i take about 10mg of pantothenic acid (B5) daily and i think my pores are a little smaller and my face is not as greasy, shiny, etc. try it. i

i take about 10mg of pantothenic acid (B5) daily...

10 mg/day (mg = milligram) is only the recommended dietary allowance for pantothenic acid. Did you mean to say 10 GRAMS per day?

BTW, there is no such thing as "B5". That's a bastardization found only on places like acne sites and other popular media outlets! :angel: Doctors and scientists use the correct term, which is "pantothenic acid" or sometimes "pantothenate". I suggest you use the same terminology that medical professionals use.

^^^ I'm guessing he's not a medical professional, and I know that this IS an acne site. Also, he used the medical term, and added the layman's term for us lesser beings than those of the medical society. Cut him some slack, will ya?

did you try products with alot of green tea in them before? i used to have oily skin problems too until i used aubrey organics green tea night gel. after that, i became a green tea freak. i swear by greentea. i'm currently using aveda tourmaline serum because aubrey had reformulate their formula and it isn't as good as aveda for me. so sad, because aubrey was so much cheaper :(

I also have EXTREMELY oily skin. In the afternoon, I used to look like I ran a marathon and came back to my desk, because my face was just that oily and dirty looking. But here is what I do now that works FOR ME:

- I am a FACE TOUCHER, but I try MY BEST to keep my hands off my face (but since my condition is chronic, I wash my hands ALL THE TIME)

- I wash my pillowcases often (very important)

- I use Mary Kay Timewise 3 in 1 Oily/Combo Cleanser and the matching Moisturizer*

I am in my late 20's and I know for sure that if you dont give oily skin any moisturizer, it PRODUCES MORE OIL (guaranteed). Like if you starve yourself to lose weight your body gets so hungry, that when you go back to your eating habits, your body stores the fat (scared that you will starve it again). So the same for your skin, it will OVER-COMPENSATE from a lack of oil.

But your cleanser needs to nourish your skin and strip the oils, and your moisturizer MUST be lightweight. The Mary Kay is what works for me, both are lightweight, and you will have a glow almost all day (I could have manufactured the oil on my face to a fast food chain). And you should always carry your blotting paper, for touch-ups if needed.

Here is the link for what I use if you're interested:

www.marykay.com/twebb-gilmore

I am in my late 20's and I know for sure that if you dont give oily skin any moisturizer, it PRODUCES MORE OIL (guaranteed). Like if you starve yourself to lose weight your body gets so hungry, that when you go back to your eating habits, your body stores the fat (scared that you will starve it again). So the same for your skin, it will OVER-COMPENSATE from a lack of oil.

It's been a popular theme on this forum that moisture (or a lack of moisture) can influence oil production, but I've never found any scientific evidence to support that idea. It's probably just another Urban Myth. And in particular, your last sentence about "over-compensating from a lack of oil" is especially troubling. As far as I know, your skin doesn't "compensate" for anything by altering its level of sebum production.

Dermadoctor ain't misbehavin oil control teaszone gel. Can't live without the stuff..have been using it for 4 years now. It's a mattifier..doesn't clog pores or anything.

It's been a popular theme on this forum that moisture (or a lack of moisture) can influence oil production, but I've never found any scientific evidence to support that idea. It's probably just another Urban Myth. And in particular, your last sentence about "over-compensating from a lack of oil" is especially troubling. As far as I know, your skin doesn't "compensate" for anything by altering its level of sebum production.

I can vouch for your sebaceous glands producing more sebum when you over dry your skin, regardless of whether there's scientific proof or not. Before, I used to wash my face every chance I get. I have huge pores, and within 1 hour of washing, you can see tiny droplets of sebum puddles forming on my pores. That's pretty bad. I have to carry napkins just to blot out the puddles everytim I levae the house. If I don't touch them for about 3 hours, some of the nearby puddles merge. Yes it was that bad.

Once I heard about not over drying the skin, it's gotten much better. Now I just use hot water to wash my face. It takes about 2 hours for the puddles to come back. I know it's still bad, but it's a lot better than before.

I just ordered a whole bunch of stuff that supposedly reduces sebum production.

I ordered some Isotrex (topicl isotretinoin), peppermint oil, and some zinc picolinate.

Hopefully my condition will get better.

You heard WRONG, dear. That's one of the great Urban Myths that keep getting repeated on sites like this. Your sebaceous glands don't work that way, they just keep producing their oil continuously, without regard to how much is sitting on the surface. They don't know and, more importantly, they don't care about how much oil is on the surface. They just do their thing on a steady basis. Understand what I'm saying?

lmao. in my experience, your statement is what i'd call a myth. i have the very exact same experience with all those people who have oily face hours later after they do their daily routine(cleanse&moisturize).

you know what I did to permanently solve this oily problem?

I dropped all of the things I'm slathering onto my face, yes, even water. for 4 days I endured oil sitting on top of my skin. but on the 5th day, the oiliness started to decrease and so on until today that there's hardly a trace of oil on my face. :dance:

Good luck on your quest with all those costly products. I already shared my secret and I don't care on those who will ask for any scientific proofs to back this up. try this for yourselves and see the difference!

:wub:

I can vouch for your sebaceous glands producing more sebum when you over dry your skin, regardless of whether there's scientific proof or not. Before, I used to wash my face every chance I get. I have huge pores, and within 1 hour of washing, you can see tiny droplets of sebum puddles forming on my pores. That's pretty bad. I have to carry napkins just to blot out the puddles everytim I levae the house. If I don't touch them for about 3 hours, some of the nearby puddles merge. Yes it was that bad.

Thanks for "vouching" with your un-scientific anecdote, but I'm not convinced. I suggest that you do what _I_ did, which was to test the washing hypothesis in a scientific manner. I explained all the details in a thread titled "FINALLY: a more direct test of the 'feedback theory' ", which you can find with the Search function on the Acne Research forum. I used Sebutape test-strips to prove that making my skin extremely dry with repeated harsh washings with Ivory soap had no effect on the sebum production in my skin, and I posted scans of the actual test-strips for you to examine. I suggest that you do a similar test, and post your results. Your casual day-to-day observations aren't worth much.

lmao. in my experience, your statement is what i'd call a myth. i have the very exact same experience with all those people who have oily face hours later after they do their daily routine(cleanse&moisturize).

Look, you can keep on believing that the earth is FLAT, for all I care. But for an outline of the scientific evidence that debunks the "feedback theory" (that's the old notion that washing makes your sebaceous glands produce more oil), see the following threads (use the Search function to find them):

"The myth of skin washing and sebum production", Acne Research forum.

"Still more evidence against the 'feedback theory' ", Acne Research Forum.

"FINALLY: a more direct test of the 'feedback theory' ", Acne Research Forum.

you know what I did to permanently solve this oily problem?

I dropped all of the things I'm slathering onto my face, yes, even water. for 4 days I endured oil sitting on top of my skin. but on the 5th day, the oiliness started to decrease and so on until today that there's hardly a trace of oil on my face. :dance:

LOL!! Here's another thread for you to read: "If you stop washing, do you get MORE oily, or do you get LESS oily??", General Acne Products and Oily Skin Issues Forum. You will find that if you stop washing, you'll get MORE oily, and again you can see scans of the actual Sebutape test-strips that I used, to prove it. Your own casual day-to-day observations are silly and unscientific. You need to test your claims scientifically, with either Sebutape test-strips or Sebumeters.

Good luck on your quest with all those costly products.

You're confusing me with somebody else. I don't recommend costly products.

I already shared my secret and I don't care on those who will ask for any scientific proofs to back this up.

Yeah, I can see that! :)

@bryan

who cares about you? I sure don't.

The feeling is mutual. Either look at the scientific evidence, or don't.

@bryan

who cares about you? I sure don't.

The feeling is mutual. Either look at the scientific evidence, or don't.

Oh yeah. Good luck on your quest with them!