Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Namaste

Make up advice for red marks

My skin has a lot of red marks and whenever I wear foundation I have to wear a lot and my marks still show through. The worst part is that my skin starts looking oily and dead within an hour or two of my initial application. I just started using Almay Clear Complexion foundation and before I was using Bare Minerals (a minor improvement). Perhaps a better foundation and also a concealer under it? Please help me.

I am no makeup expert, and don't wear much myself at this point in time. But when I do, I use Joppa Minerals Full Coverage. I think there are a bunch of threads on this site about Joppa. I have rather flaky skin right now, so I apply moisturizer right before I put it on. Then it seems like when my skins gets oily later in the day, it "sets" the make up better. Again, this could just be me. But the Joppa full coverage works wonders on hiding the red marks on my cheeks without looking all cakey and powdery. My skin reacts really nice to the makeup too, and it blends well without that "dead, I am wearing makeup" look.

Hope this helps a bit (?). :)

hey check out the pics i just posted http://www.acne.org/messageboard/makeup-artist-t218230.html

i use Este Lauder Double Wear foundation... its a full coverage foundation that looks natural and will definitely hide the redmarks. PLUS it stays on ALLLLLL day no matter how oily your skin is. it is the only makeup ive found that will stay on without needing ANY touch ups. but check out my pics... it proves how amazing the stuff is

i've been using two different foundations. Merle Norman is talc and bismuth oxychloride free (they both cause acne breakouts) and my face looks flawless! Also i use Physicians Formula whcih is also talc and bismuth free. I love the coverage i get, and neither make-up breaks me out! :clap:

hey check out the pics i just posted http://www.acne.org/messageboard/makeup-artist-t218230.html

i use Este Lauder Double Wear foundation... its a full coverage foundation that looks natural and will definitely hide the redmarks. PLUS it stays on ALLLLLL day no matter how oily your skin is. it is the only makeup ive found that will stay on without needing ANY touch ups. but check out my pics... it proves how amazing the stuff is

Holy God! Your skin looks amazing! You can't even tell you have any redness at all.

yeah i can vouch for this as well..that stuff is amazing it covers all my leftover red marks

I have about ten million red marks on both cheeks and along my jawline. The only way I can cover them is this routine:

- Cleanse and moisturize, wait at least 30 minutes

- Apply Revlon Colorstay to red marks, wait 15 minutes

- Stipple a small layer of EM foundation on entire face

- Stipple EM concealer over areas where the red marks are

- Spritz with hydrosol, wait 5-10 minutes

- Apply a good layer of EM foundation to blend everything in

- Apply EM finishing powder

- Spritz with hydrosol

I know that is a LOT of time and a lot of steps, but most people can't even tell I have acne and red marks unless I'm standing in direct sunlight. Here is a before/after picture from October (can't believe I'm posting this online!). Please excuse the powder on my eyebrows in the after pic - I didn't notice it until I looked at the picture on my camera. Anyway, it should give you an idea of how well this method works. Hopefully the pic will attach; I've never done this before on this forum.

post-85501-1228102152_thumb.jpg

post-85501-1228102152_thumb.jpg

zen.garden your skin looks flawless! Whatever works for you dude. I'm waiting on my EM samples and hope they feel and look at least a bit better than my liquid foundation i have now. I need to keep experimenting, though keep is a bit of an over statement because I haven't even tried that many different ways. Thanks for the picture reference.

I have about ten million red marks on both cheeks and along my jawline. The only way I can cover them is this routine:

- Spritz with hydrosol

I know that is a LOT of time and a lot of steps, but most people can't even tell I have acne and red marks unless I'm standing in direct sunlight. Here is a before/after picture from October (can't believe I'm posting this online!). Please excuse the powder on my eyebrows in the after pic - I didn't notice it until I looked at the picture on my camera. Anyway, it should give you an idea of how well this method works. Hopefully the pic will attach; I've never done this before on this forum.

That's amazing! What's hydrosol?

- Spritz with hydrosol

My god! Is that the same day? Sorry but I honestly can't believe that's the same day... how can you make your skin an even level if you have acne? I tried EM but it didn't cover the marks up much at all and seemed to melt off my face in a few hours.

My skin has a lot of red marks and whenever I wear foundation I have to wear a lot and my marks still show through. The worst part is that my skin starts looking oily and dead within an hour or two of my initial application. I just started using Almay Clear Complexion foundation and before I was using Bare Minerals (a minor improvement). Perhaps a better foundation and also a concealer under it? Please help me.

I also have really oily skin and used EM for about a year but it didn't cover enough and didn't last long. Now I use dermablend which is specifically formulated to cover imperfections. They even have a selection that's used for burns and birthmarks but you should go for the regular ones for acne and acne marks. It has really thick coverage and to be honest it does look like I have makeup on but that's better than my red marks showing! The smooth indulgence concealer is especially good so you may want to get that to go with your EM because I find their concealer's are pretty useless. Just be sure to get the right shade and apply it correctly.

So if EM doesn't work for you, I'd recommend derablend. It's expensive compared to EM but worth it... It's really boosted my confidence and I don't have to be checking the mirror every 20 minutes to see if it's come off like I had to do with EM. Also, if you have really oily skin like me then try using oil blotting papers throughout the day... some of the makeup comes off with them but again, nowhere near as much as EM.

Does anyone where foundation/concealer daily or at least a few times a week without having extra breakouts? I haven't found a makeup that feels comfortable enough to wear often and doesn't break me out. On that note, does anyone wear makeup over their active breakouts? I've got a bunch of teeny breakouts that look like little red dots they're so small (one or two are a bit larger) and I was planning on putting Almay Clear Complexion on just them before the EM i just got; could it work?

I use Make Up For Ever's Full Cover concealer for red spots and it stays put. It has very good coverage but its not cakey. After, I put on EM "Spring" and I use it kind of as a foundation despite it being a concealer to even out my face tone. I use a small brush and slightly wet it, place some of the product and use circular motions to blend it out...the coverage is amazing! I find that wetting it a little makes it go on smoother and less cakey with better coverage.

That's amazing! What's hydrosol?

Hydrosols are available from Garden of Wisdom - it's a natural spray that can hold 1000x its weight in water. Some people just spray plain water to set EM makeup, but hydrosol has given me better results.

My god! Is that the same day? Sorry but I honestly can't believe that's the same day... how can you make your skin an even level if you have acne? I tried EM but it didn't cover the marks up much at all and seemed to melt off my face in a few hours.

Actually I think the after picture was taken before (that morning) and the before pic was that night after I washed everything off. I use mandelic acid serum (Nucelle) at night and my skin is usually much smoother in the morning.

The matte formula is the only one from EM that stays on for me. They tout the intensive formula as the best coverage, but it only lasted about two hours on me. The trick to this, though, is the layering. Just dusting on a little of the foundation doesn't cover anything for me.

- Spritz with hydrosol

Wow, your skin looks awesome. I have never been able to cover my redness/pimples that well! Great job! :)

I finally picked up Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation along with an Estee Lauder concealer and let me say it's the best coverage I could ask for! It covers all my red marks and lasts all day. I can't tell if my skin likes it or not yet, but time will tell. Unfortunately I have a new concern :( Now that my redness is covered I can tell I have a bunch of shallow scars all over my cheeks and forehead. It's very noticeable and even though my skin hasn't looked this good in months, I'm just uncomfortable with my texture. fucking acne.