Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RockstarNailbomb

Starting low dose acutane tommorow!!

I have had mild acne along with seborrheic dermatitis for 3 years. I have gone to 2 derms and the first one prescribed me RETIN-A which got rid of the acne but made my face really really red, flaky, irritated, and to top it all off even more oily. I went to another dermatologist and he looked at me and said that we have to get to the root of the problem which was excess oil production. Bottom line, he prescribed me low dose accutane(10 mg a day) and i have been sort of scared to start.

My question is at the low dose of 10 mg per day, how bad will my side effects be and is their any specific way in which i should take it ( ive heard people say with milk, or with fatty food but idk)

Thanks in advance

-Andrew

I have had mild acne along with seborrheic dermatitis for 3 years. I have gone to 2 derms and the first one prescribed me RETIN-A which got rid of the acne but made my face really really red, flaky, irritated, and to top it all off even more oily. I went to another dermatologist and he looked at me and said that we have to get to the root of the problem which was excess oil production. Bottom line, he prescribed me low dose accutane(10 mg a day) and i have been sort of scared to start.

My question is at the low dose of 10 mg per day, how bad will my side effects be and is their any specific way in which i should take it ( ive heard people say with milk, or with fatty food but idk)

Thanks in advance

-Andrew

Hey there! I am a 22 year old male from norway and has suffered from mild acne for 1.5 year now. I have been on a low dose accutane (20 mg) now for 17 days and can so far only say good things about it. I previousley used RETIN-A and was not satisfied with it at all. Accutane has so far worked miracousley well for me. I stopped using topicals and antibiotics when I started it and Iam only using a mild cleanser and a good moisturizer. The results: Practically clear apart from a couple of zits but nothing like before with the RETIN-A and so on. Well I actually started on 40 mg but at day 5 and 6 my face turned super red and itchy so I decided to lower it myself. I also had some jointaches with that dose. Now the side effects are almost none-existing, a bit dryer eyes and lips than usual, but its totally manageble. I would recommend taking it with dinner, thats what I always do, or perhaps with a glass of milk. Bottom line: I think a low dose is a really good idea, you get good results and practically no side effects. I also think my face looks as healthy as ever as it is not so red/irritated anymore as it was with all the topicals (RETIN-A at night and azealic acid - skinoren in the morning). Not being oily is also really really nice. I hope in the future more and more dermatologist will come to realize that accutane is THE drug for people really troubled by acne and that it should be regulated according to severity. I have an appointmet at my one month mark and iam hoping my derm will agree that its a good idea to be on a low dose if iam happy with the results that way. Anyways, best of luck to you and let me know how it goes!

...Some ending notes, I really hope iam not jinxing myself and suddenly get an IB, though I feel like my IB might have happened when my face turned really red as I got a couple of extra zits then and it just seemed like it was pusing all the oil out of my system cause it was dryer afterwards. Time will see I guess..

Started 10mg a day last week..the itching and tingling on my face was so bad it was driving me crazy..I went to a derm and got a cream..but I went off accutane yesterday and now the itching is gone..

From the replies i have received i have come to the conclusion that accutane effects everybody differently. Norwegian guy has had a great experience and i can only hope mine goes as smoothly. And if my experience is like Halfpipe's then i don't know what i will do..

For anyone else out their who has gone on a course of low dose Accutane, how many of you have experienced complete remission of their previous symptoms?? And how bad were your side effects during and after your low dose course.

Thanks

-ANDREW

I was on low dose accutane as well 20mg per day and I have since finished my course in january this year- so far I'm good and acne free.

I didn't have much side effects or should I say have any in the first place. All i had was dry skin and lips and some fatigue and they disappeared in week 2. Mine was overall a great experience under the supervision of my good derm of course.

heck a started out at 40mg then went straight to 80mg on the second months, i have pretty severe acne, and it's almost to a mild/moderate point and its only the third month!!!

and i've had no side effects except dry lips, and somewhat dry eyes.

none of the serious stuff.

that stuff rarely ever happens.

don't worry about it.

I was put on 40 mg accutane for a set of 5-6 months. i had moderate acne all over my face. my face cleared up after only 3 months! my mom took my off of the pills because i was getting severe mood swings apparently. i thought i was always mad, because she know how to push my buttons.

well since you're on 10 mg low dose, you'll probably only get the minor side effects of what i faced. although i can't entirely say what's gonna happen to you since i don't have the same skin as you.

my side effects: anger, very dry skin(face), very dry and chapped lips-to the point where they cracked and bled, occasional bloody noses (i think i got 3 spontaneous nose bleeds within the 3 months), and lack of motivation.

despite all of these negative side effects, i would highly recommend starting ASAP! dont let the acne get worse. although it will get worse before it gets better i'm sure you've heard. you will most likely face minor side effects of what i faced with your 10 mg. it will probably take longer, but you will be healthier. i doubt you will face any major side effects like the sever depression that occurs in 2% of users. others include aches and pains, i never had those and i played sports and worked out throughout the duration.

you will learn how to take the medication when you get the instructions for the pills, but just in case, take with food or milk, just not on an empty stomach. and my advice for you: try to stay motivated in school/work/sports/socializing. the pill tends to make you feel like you dont want to do anything. dont let that happen. and STOCK UP ON SKIN MOISTURIZER AND CHAP STICK. keep them readily available at all times. AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. this will help you stay hydrated and help you skin and lips to stay somewhat moisturized and not dry as a desert.

I was put on 40 mg accutane for a set of 5-6 months. i had moderate acne all over my face. my face cleared up after only 3 months! my mom took my off of the pills because i was getting severe mood swings apparently. i thought i was always mad, because she know how to push my buttons.

well since you're on 10 mg low dose, you'll probably only get the minor side effects of what i faced. although i can't entirely say what's gonna happen to you since i don't have the same skin as you.

my side effects: anger, very dry skin(face), very dry and chapped lips-to the point where they cracked and bled, occasional bloody noses (i think i got 3 spontaneous nose bleeds within the 3 months), and lack of motivation.

despite all of these negative side effects, i would highly recommend starting ASAP! dont let the acne get worse. although it will get worse before it gets better i'm sure you've heard. you will most likely face minor side effects of what i faced with your 10 mg. it will probably take longer, but you will be healthier. i doubt you will face any major side effects like the sever depression that occurs in 2% of users. others include aches and pains, i never had those and i played sports and worked out throughout the duration.

you will learn how to take the medication when you get the instructions for the pills, but just in case, take with food or milk, just not on an empty stomach. and my advice for you: try to stay motivated in school/work/sports/socializing. the pill tends to make you feel like you dont want to do anything. dont let that happen. and STOCK UP ON SKIN MOISTURIZER AND CHAP STICK. keep them readily available at all times. AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. this will help you stay hydrated and help you skin and lips to stay somewhat moisturized and not dry as a desert.

Low or ultra-low dose is definitely the way to go, and is just as effective over the long term without all the side effects. I have been taking 10mg every other day or twice a week for the past year and a half, and still I have more than 100 of the 10mg brand name capsules left in their packaging, I bought them in December 2007, so I don't think I'll use all of them before they expire this summer.

I paid about 1.50 a pill since I don't have insurance, but it has been worth every penny, comes out to about $3-5 dollars a week at my dose.

Low or ultra-low dose is definitely the way to go, and is just as effective over the long term without all the side effects. I have been taking 10mg every other day or twice a week for the past year and a half, and still I have more than 100 of the 10mg brand name capsules left in their packaging, I bought them in December 2007, so I don't think I'll use all of them before they expire this summer.

I paid about 1.50 a pill since I don't have insurance, but it has been worth every penny, comes out to about $3-5 dollars a week at my dose.

that sounds very appealing. my parents are reconsidering putting me back on accutane because they are actually wising up and listening to me. they took a "real" look at my face and noticed, hey our son has acne! now way. they always thought i was just complaining about some little bump on my face.

but they dont want anger/mood swings again, one of the side effects of accutane. so they considered low dose. and the way you described it just sounds so appealing. is your skin clear? have you seen any severe side effects (dry skin/lips/eyes, joint aches, bloody noses, loss of hair, lack of motivation, depression)? you can compare the low dose to my 40 mg dose side effects in my previous post. thanks.

Hey guys !! i appreciate all the replies ive been getting. It seems low dose accutane is the way to go. I was almost not going to take it because i had been reading some horror stories of people who were prescribed 120 mg a day...anyways you guys have given me peace of mind and i actually just took my first pill haha.

Eric_in_VA , i am very interested in you experience. You say you have been on accutane for over a year, so how has that affected your skin. is it overly dry? are your side effects bad, and are you acne free?

Maddy001, i have read through your entire log. Wow is all i can say, your experience was great and really gave me encouragement. I hope my Accutane course goes as smoothly as yours and i hope i clear up as fast as you lol.

I am going to be starting a log soon so be looking out for that.

Hi everyone!!!

im have been on acctuane for ard 4th month on a daily dosage of 10mg.

It gets better from the 3rd month but i would like to ask if the dosage is too low for me as i didnt really experience flaking or feel my face is really dry or tight.

Weird part is my skin on the body did get dry!!!!! :rolleyes: