Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
daniel12

fraxel on scar 3 months ago, my scar is still red pictures attached, please help

I have a scar on my head that I've been wanting to blend in better with the rest of my scalp, so I gave fraxel a shot 3 months ago. The temporary redness from fraxel that is supposed to go away after 2-3 days has stayed with me. My scar is still pinkish, and whenever I take a hot shower, my scar is even redder. What does this mean? Has anyone had permanent redness from fraxel? I thought the redness always disappeared and it's already been 3 months

I had profractional done 5 months ago and I'm still a little discolored yet there is fading every month. I do believe that the discoloration will eventually fade, but MDs lie; if he/she had told you the truth, then you probably wouldn't have gotten the procedure and they wouldn't get rich. That's how it works and it's a real shame that they lie. I wouldn't worry if you had fraxel repair (as opposed to restore) as it goes very deep. It's probably the higher the settings = the longer the redness = the better the end result. I have fair skin w/ rosacea which is likely why I'm still pink. Call/e-mail your MD and ask some questions.

thanks dddram, I called my doctor and the only thing she said was that the redness will last, she doesn't know how long my redness will last, at first she told me 3 weeks, than 7 weeks, when she realized that the area was still red, she just said that it wouldn't last...so I don't know what to believe.

here are some pics, I would appreciate if anyone can suggest some sort of topical that I could apply to help with the redness

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/uploads/1223083276/gallery_84531_8701_9760.jpg

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/uploads/1223083276/gallery_84531_8701_1915.jpg

If it's under your hair, I really wouldn't worry about it. However, metrogel topical (you'd need a prescription) or eucerin redness relief moisturizer (go to CVS) would help. But like I said, it's under your hair, and no one will notice this but you.

Hi DDDRAM,

metrogel topical or eucerin redness relief moisturizer.. do these temporarily make the redness go away or would it be a permanent change?

I purposely have to grow my hair long to cover my scar, it's very annoying, I'm unable to cut my hair short because of this and now with it being red, its harder to conceal.

Here's another picture 3 months from fraxel. It actually looks redder than at 2 months so I don't think the redness is fading at all. Before fraxel, my scar was white.

med_gallery_84531_8701_71015.jpg

They are both temporary. However, I would be extatic to have my hair and to not be going bald. Anyways, there are things which will make it appear more red, like overheating, caffeine, exercise, etc. I would be happy that you can hide it and it will fade over the next few months. I know it's frustrating, but imagine if that was on your nose like in my case, and it's been 5 months! It should fade over the next 3 months, but I plan on talking to my MD in 1 month to let him know how I feel about him not telling me about the true downtime of such a procedure. Anyways, good luck, and it will be back to normal before you know it.

How can you be sure that it will fade? From what I've read, heard, for a fraxeled area/scar to be red for this long is uncommon. Isn’t the downtime supposed to be 1 week for redness? When my doctor saw that my scar was still red at 7 weeks, she looked shocked and looked like she didn’t know what to tell me.

From 2 months to 3 months, it doesn't seem like my fraxeled scar has faded at all. I hate to sound like a pessimist but I haven’t seen any improvement and I’m very worried.

2 months:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/uploads/1223083276/gallery_84531_8701_1915.jpg

3 months:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/uploads/1..._8701_71015.jpg