Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acneis2unfair

It's effected me beyond reason

The effects of bad acne are far worse than just physical appearence. I havn't been to university in 3 weeks. I am failing it. I've always suffered from low self esteem. As a result I don't have many friends, no girlfriend. I've been told countless times that I am "cute" what I dont particulary care about looks. I had bad acne as a teenager. I guess I took it for granted when my skin became perfect due to many anti-biotics (accutane included) and constant use of Differin and Duac. My acne came back 5 weeks ago and is getting worse and worse everyday. I eat very healthy, drink nothing but water. I have changed my life style so many times to revolve around acne. I avoid sleeping on the side of my face even though I find it less confortable. I avoid chocolate, saturated fats. In fact I eat nothing but fruit and vegetables. I feel like I cannot go outside because of acne. My whole life has fallen apart because of acnes return. I feel such an over whelming sense of pain everytime I look in the mirror. It's not how others see me. It's how I now see myself. I cannot have it in my life. I simply cannot step outside the door any more. If I had a job, I would of probaly quit it. I think I need therapy because acne is starting to be the only thing I can think about. I had a nightmare about it the other night. I just cant believe how much pain acne inflicts on peoples life. ACNE that is, not a pimple or zit on the nose or forhead. :( I guess I am not looking for confort or "just forget about and live your life" because I cannot. That's just not me. I guess my point is that a lot of people (Who dont have acne) dont understand what a serious and horrible disease it is. From a mental well being point of view that is.

Acne gets to affect us all emotionally, at some point or another. Just the other day, some girl is all, "You have really bad pimples way worse than your sister". It's one of the reasons I sometimes detest being a twin, you get compared so much. But it really makes you feel low about yourself, I feel your pain. Recently, I got an outbreak from godkowswhat and it's affected me big time. But don't let it take over your life! I became withdrawn and passive, more than usual, because of acne. Then people started noticing, so I've tried to become myself again. Don't worry about it, buddy, because acne isn't the one living your life. We're all here for you.

God certainly screwed up with acne,huh.

Its especially frustrating when you have to put a brave face on all the time despite the fact that acne is destroying you from the inside. Its good to talk about how you feel, so keep talking cuz we're hear to listen....ur not alone. I thinks its important to try and be pro-active; search the forums and try to find something to add to your regime that might make a difference; avc seems to be popular.

good luck.

thanks for the support. I've started taking lots of Vitamin A and Zinc. I've always drank green tea and water so I cant agree with the statement that water and green tea give you great skin. The truth is All I want to know is what causes acne. There just too many condraticing reports out there. I started breaking out like crazy when I began to work out. So I quit taking protein shakes and working out but it continued and went from a few spots on my chin or whatever, to all under my eyes, over my cheeks. Thats the very worst place you can get acne I think. There's nothing worse than getting on the bus, or needing to have a conversation with someone with your face covered in red spots with some having yellow pus in them... dammmmn lol. My mum said to me earlier that she thinks its ridiculous I am throwing my life away because of a few spots. But I told her that its more than that to me. It's soul destroying to go out in public I think and I know I am not being rational but I just cant help how I feel. It's because I've been through it all as a 16 year old. Now that I am 20, and was slowly building my self esteem back up, I no longer feel like a 20 year old. I feel like all progress is lost and I'm back to the red marks all over his cheeks and acne teenager again. I guess thats why its had such a devestating effect on me.

thanks for the support. I've started taking lots of Vitamin A and Zinc. I've always drank green tea and water so I cant agree with the statement that water and green tea give you great skin. The truth is All I want to know is what causes acne. There just too many condraticing reports out there. I started breaking out like crazy when I began to work out. So I quit taking protein shakes and working out but it continued and went from a few spots on my chin or whatever, to all under my eyes, over my cheeks. Thats the very worst place you can get acne I think. There's nothing worse than getting on the bus, or needing to have a conversation with someone with your face covered in red spots with some having yellow pus in them... dammmmn lol. My mum said to me earlier that she thinks its ridiculous I am throwing my life away because of a few spots. But I told her that its more than that to me. It's soul destroying to go out in public I think and I know I am not being rational but I just cant help how I feel. It's because I've been through it all as a 16 year old. Now that I am 20, and was slowly building my self esteem back up, I no longer feel like a 20 year old. I feel like all progress is lost and I'm back to the red marks all over his cheeks and acne teenager again. I guess thats why its had such a devestating effect on me.

i genuinely feel for you mate. i was (am?) in a very similar situation- i myself am 20, and didn't suffer from acne until i was late 18 ish. I entirely changed my lifestyle around it (diet, washing habits etc), and it too did (does?) affect almost everything I do- virtually the first thing i do when i wake up in the morning is check the mirror to see how much better/worse it looks.

it is extremely tough, and it got me VERY VERY down at times. It's a massive cliche i know, but you really just have to hang in there. I find that little things often make me forget about it- meeting a new person, going out to eat with mates (if i have the confidence to do so), even if the sun is shining! :) I had started off University well and had made a decent number of friends, but then my acne had become worse and i really just isolated myself. It was hard enough to go and get food to eat from the supermarket (i went at 7am so i could avoid people) in order to stay in my flat!

Somewhat fortunately for me though, after 6 weeks of doxycycline and now a week of lymecycline and (for the first time) BP, my acne is definately improving, and i'm hoping it'll be gone by christmas (BP is magical for me atleast! :) ). Yet as i said mate, really do hang in there- you gain nothing from feeling sorry for yourself, and everything by defying the problem.

Also just a little side note- one of my friends that i have made at uni suffers from far worse acne than i do. It doesn't affect him in the slightest- he's out all the time, has plenty of friends, and has got lucky with the ladies a few times as well! So just remember that it's you that has the problem with your acne, not anyone else! :)

Just a side note- trying not to patronise you here- alot of the posts on this site i think give false hope (i'm sorry to say) and can make me cringe at times- it's just that your post really reminded me of my own situation so much i felt obliged to reply! :) GOOD LUCK!!!!

Hey girl, I've been through a very similar experience. I wasted my first year at university...I was too embarassed to go to school because of my red acne and scars. Winter was painful.. My face is really white in the winter so my acne looked so much worse. I completely understand what you sent through. Its painful and people with clear skin will never understand what we all acne sufferer go through. I was lucky to get a pretty gf during my first yr in uni. She was one in a million type of girl and I never had such strong feelings for a girl. Unfortunately the relationship ended in 2 months. It broke my heart and she never gave me a reason why she broke up with me. According to my friends, she was fooling ard with other men but I honestly think it was my acne. I think she couldnt tolerate it anymore. Anyways, I hope we all get over the acne period and live a life where we dont have skin problems anymore.

Dude, I know how you feel, I still got it bad, but I honestly don't care. You gotta understand if people aren't going to talk to you, or be your friend, or like you over some pimples on your face. They're not worth your time. Listen, honestly dude, the trick is to be an asshole and not care. I know this isn't what you want to hear, and it's so much easier said than done, but just walk around like you're the shit. Honestly. Confidence is the key...........everyday you walk outside, play this image in your head......you've gone outside screamed to the world "I GOT ACNE AND I DON'T GIVE A FUCK, BITCHES!!!" it'll make you feel a lot better. Honestly, there's not better feeling than meeting someone who really is superficial and judges you on your acne and you telling 'em off. Half the time they're too stupid to even know what superficial means. Hope this helps

Hehe, Im in the same boat as you. Although on my way out of it. I really hadn't had any acne before uni, I had a few pimples here and there but I really didnt mind, and think about them. Then about a week into uni, I broke out like a mofo, probably due to freshers week.

And here comes the funny part! :D As the retard I am, I was like what the fvck?! I ran down to the store/pharmacy, bought a whole load of stuff, and began nuking the shit out of my face. Little did I know this would get me into a downward spiral. I kept getting more breakouts -> more products -> more breakouts and so on.

Then it lasted for about a year, getting worse and worse. I skipped lots and lots during the first year just because I couldn't make myself go due to my skin. I would attend the lectures in the big halls with few people, so that I could sit way back where I wouldn't be seen. And I would be the first to leave so nobody would see me. I used to be very confident/outgoing/funny until I got acne. I was never really depressed, just annoyed and frustrated.

Then I found this site and decided to take a new approach. I stopped using products, and started eating healthier, and stopped using chemicals, just natural products like honey,yogurt, tto, acv etc. I can't say for sure they worked although I did see a drastic improvement.

Now comes the best tip I can give you. GET YOUR MIND OFF OF YOUR ACNE!!! I used to wake up every morning and start destroying my face. Instead, find a hobby, if you are as uncomfortable as I was, FIND SOMETHING TO DO IN THE COMFORT OF YOUR OWN HOUSE/ROOM. Instead of waking up every morning and going directly to the mirror, I would have a drink of water, and go out for a long walk. Cover all mirrors you have.

Now onto the hobby, I couldn't go out and so I found a hobby to do in my own room, this was in fact the only way to do it :D ... and for all you pervs NO! its not masturbating although it is as questionable.

Yes, I started growing my own weed.

This was the best way to clear my mind, the time I used to spend picking and washing infront of the mirror, was now spent taking care of my plants which does take quite some time and effort. The moment I stopped constantly worrying/thinking about acne, it started fading. Coincidence? I dont think so.

I do not recommend growing weed unless you know what you are doing, as it can get you into a lot of trouble. It was just an example, although I suggest you find something similar that you enjoy doing.

Stay strong, and the best of luck to you.

great advice from everyone. but to forget about it completely and to just 100% accept it is the smart thing to do, however, I would be living a lie if I just pretneded it didnt bother me because it does and that wont change. I have been constructive about it all though. I did sooo much research (if i did half the research i did on acne on my uni. work id be doing very well right now) and I have gained much more insight to ways to help it. As for growing weed, lol... I'm not totally against it but I am sort of obsessive, so when I have acne breakouts, I dont drink, smoke, eat chocolate, drink coffee, eat dairy, eat anything remotely unhealthy. Just because I can't, my mind wont allow me to I pretty much just live on foods high in Vitamin A, E, B6, etc. Oh and lots of Apples. I think I will go make dinner :P which tonight, consists of Gucamole with spinach on brown bread. haha. (I honestly would go to any length at all to help the breakout clear up). Speaking of clearing up though, it seems to be getting much better thanks to Clinique's Anti Blemish products (the 3 step one). It does make my skin feel weird, and its expensive, but also effective. My dad offered to pay for me to see a dermatoligist so I am going to wait a week and if things arent improving I will! :D

oooh i'm tempted to grow my own weed! for some reason i've had a hell of a hard time gettin' hold of any here, and could save me a fair bit of cash as well- would help alot with my stress! :)

While mention of such in passing is tolerated, I must now reiterate that Acneorg.com does condone the use of illegal drugs, which weed is here in the good ole' USofA where the servers that run this site are located.

Thanks. :)

I had a huge breakout while I was living in dorm in freshman year...that was about 2 yrs ago. It almost destroyed me because what I had was one of the worst kind of breakout. But I'm glad that has passed. I would suggest you to be careful on Vitamin A intake, because you get bad side-effects from overdose on Vit A, which I think the recommended daily dosage is 5000 IU

Changing your lifestyle and foods will help but from my own experience it will not clear up the face if you don't use topicals. I tried some antibiotic cream and took some orally but they fail in the Long run. I tried tazorac but it was too drying...Then I bought MaMa lotion (mandelic/malic acid) online and used for about 3-4 months and it cleared up gradually. So I think you can give that a try, and go to its website to follow its instructions, if you have asian skin like me, you need to wear sunblock during the day...

I know where ur coming from and I'm sure all this emotions will go away once the acne is gone, afterall that's the root of the problem, so you need to deal with it (as opposed to going to a psychologist for the emotional problem) Hope you'll be fine.

btw, you can take b complex instead of b6, the b vitamins absorb better when taken together...FYI

Speaking of clearing up though, it seems to be getting much better thanks to Clinique's Anti Blemish products (the 3 step one). It does make my skin feel weird, and its expensive, but also effective. My dad offered to pay for me to see a dermatoligist so I am going to wait a week and if things arent improving I will! :D

Glad to hear your seeing improvement, and also got a derm appointment. I'd say that derms are irreplaceable, although I haven't been, it would be a very very last resort for me :think:

could save me a fair bit of cash as well- would help alot with my stress! :)

Nothing more relaxing than tending to plants. Too bad I didn't seek a career in gardening. As for saving cash, MO' MONEY MO' PROBLEMS!

While mention of such in passing is tolerated, I must now reiterate that Acneorg.com does condone the use of illegal drugs, which weed is here in the good ole' USofA where the servers that run this site are located.

Thanks. :)

I understand you are just doing your job, Elsewhere :) *crosses fingers* I wont let it happen again, I promise. :liar:

acneis2unfair, have you tried taking any probiotic supplements? All those anti-biotics you've taken before has probably taken a huge toll on the beneficial flora in your digestive tract. If fermented foods (e.g. sauerkraut, natto, kimchi, kombucha, etc.) are not part of your diet, i recommend taking some probiotics to make up for the damage caused by the anti-biotics. At least consider it.

I know what you're going through. Stay proactive, exercise, get adequate rest/sleep, keep eating right - just keep at it. And don't be afraid to try new things. If something hasn't been working for you for 2 months, make a change.

wow u cudnt describe me more from what u said about urself...worst bit for me is im a uni fresher...so its pretty much ruinin my life...i actually dont remember myself without acne because as far as i can remember (properly)..ive had low self esteem due to this stupid disease...i find it so hard to go to lectures...sometimes i can just about bear it and go but half the time i miss them...im verry paranoid too so sometimes i feel people are laughing at me when they quite obviously are not....

thats the negetive side of it! but im someone who always finds a positive side of things....so i stay in my flat quite abit...where i feel the most confortable....and i do my work!. :D....also im on accutane so hopefully i should be clear soon.

i know people would love to come here and say stuff to use like...'you shouldnt think about it and just live your life, dont let it hold you back, etc...however only if you felt how i we feel would you understand,

yeh it sucks. I think every one is self conciouse about the way they look even if they don't have acne. There's a girl in my office who is a stunner and if she gets 1 tiny spot that you wouldn't even notice she freaks out about it, tells every one then cancels her plans for the weekend. I never know how to act when she does it so I just put my head down and stay quiet, it makes me feel so uncomfortable.

But yeh if your acne is effecting you that badly, then maybe you should think about therapy.

hey man i felt your pain, and I gotta say i can totally relate to everything you said. My advice is that, I know its hard but try meet new people.. people that can help you, support you, people that can you can hang out with. Because, one way to get off your mind off acne is if you have people that you can share your life with. Isolating yourself will make you think about it more.

Meeting new people with very bad acne? yes i know it is hard, but I gotta tell you not everyone out there is so superficial to the fact that because you have bad acne they wont be your friend. Some people out there dont care how bad ur acne is, and will still be your friend. I for one is like that, I dont really care about the person's looks as long as he has a good heart and gets along with me. I was pretty lucky to have found such people when my acne was so bad.

I didn't realse how similar a lot of other people felt. I think with this said, The medical community should treat acne as a far more serious problem, or maybe they do? I don't know. It's not life threatning sure, but its QUALITY OF LIFE threatning. Which is actually a very big deal when you think about it. I used my therma clear the other day. Paid good money for it too :( about £130 british pounds. I had a tiny little spot forming under my left eye. Thats where I hate getting pimples most, under my eyes, I think it alters your look too much. Anyway, according to all the people praising thermaclear, and the reviews that little tiny red bump should of never of gotten past that stage. The bacteria should of been killed, and the pimple should of been gone the next day, or day after. Instead, the next day it was big and yellow, and its still on my face days later. So I am very dissapointed that something I paid so much for failed to protect me from yet another red mark left on my face (I know for sure it's going to leave one). Btw I was thinking, I think in the future, in a few years time we will all be laughing at gadgets such as Zeno or thermaclear because technology would of came so far and they will seem very primative. Also, future generations I bet will only ever hear about acne in a history class or something because I do believe that we're probably the last generation to really have to suffer from it. It just seems like something that will only be controlled better and better, until perhaps they start giving out injections at school or something just before students hit puberty, and NO MORE ACNE :D (thats my theory anyway)

To the person who posted above me. May I just say that what you said shocked me. Due to the fact that everything you said I CAN RELATE TO!!! See, when I have acne, I hide away. I skip uni., at family gathertings I dont talk. I dont want to be noticed, I dont want to be heard. When I dont have acne, I am a little better. For the summer for instance. I spent it in Canada with my family there for 3 months. I am a very strange person socially. Sometimes I love to be around others. I hate being alone. But I hate being around LOTS of people. I dislike crowds, I dislike busy places, And When I am not happy being in the companty of others I simply NEED to be alone. I need to brood. Bad quality yes. But i am the sort of guy who is deep thinking a lot. I dont feel like I am similar to anyone I have ever met before. I have been asked so many times "whats wrong?" "are you ok"? I tend to dress in dark clothes and Rarley laugh/smile. I am not exactly representing a gloomy side to life or anything because I am a caring and hyper sensitive person with a deep sense of empathy. So basically the bottom line is this. I think perhaps even though you feel acne has ruined your life, which there seems to be no doubt, Acne does ruin all our lifes in one way or another, that without it things wouldnt be 100% fine. Like I said, when I have no acne what so evere (like before getting hit by this breakout badly) I was still sort of sad due to my lack of self confidence and low self esteem. As for being scared of driving. That is related to low self esteem. I bet you think you are not confident enough to immerse yourself onto them busy roads with all the other drivers. Too many things could go wrong eh? Trust me I know how you feel. I was terrified of driving. But I knew this fear would hold me back in the future. I wanted to over come it so I insisted to my step father he put me on his insurance and now I sometimes drive his car (mostly to pick up family members from work or such). Sometimes my leg still shakes as I push down on the clutch because I am nervous but then I feel good that I am doing something that I feared and it gets easier everytime (I still like to avoid city driving, and I am a very bad parker). So bottom line my friend is do things that make you happy. Start driving, and put that fear in its place! Goodluck