Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Emperor Dark

Invited to party... need help

I've been invited to a party. The trouble is, I've stayed away from parties all my life because I was self conscious about my skin so I have absolutely no idea what to expect, how to behave, and what's proper etiquette. I'll know a few people but most of them I won't know, which is making me nervous.

So I need some help, starting from the beginning. The hosts say that they are providing the food and it's BYOB. So does that mean I just show up, maybe bring some wine and beer? Am I expected to bring other stuff?

When the party is actually happening, how do people generally interact? Meaningful conversation or "wild partying"? What the heck is "partying" anyway?

I'm so nervous about doing social things. My skin is actually pretty bad this week which adds to the anxiety but I've basically decided I'm going to this and trying to learn how to be more comfortable around people. So any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

BYOB: If you dont know the kind of people at the party i wouldn't bring wine. Just bring beer. Wine can come across as a bit too classy and i dont think raving youths are into wine..... you could bring Vodka though.

So what is the party? A house party? Some rented out club thing? In any case, if you want to mix with them all, just do what everyone else does ;) but it kind of depends on the music (if there is music).

Judging from your post you are nervous about it, but just hang with the people you know and you'll be fine. Have fun

Bring alcohol, enough to satisfy your needs and a little extra for anyone else to have, will earn you some brownie points and you'll probably be offered more alcohol later.

Greet everyone you see, doesn't have to anything huge, just say "Hey how's it going?" if you're left alone with someone you don't know, don't worry about what your skin looks like, if you don't care then no one else will.

Once the party has been going for a while, it generally veers off into several different directions, here are some of the things that usually happens at parties (least the ones I go to) and some advice for you incase it happens.

1. There is been a fight between some guys -

Unless one of the guys fighting is you, or one of your friends, it's best not to get involved. Just grab a beer and chant "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!" with everyone else for encouragement, and perhaps shout "FINISH HIM!" or "SONIC BOOM!" for your own personal enjoyment.

If you happen to be in a fight for some reason (perhaps you've mixed the caviar in with the salsa to create some revolting hybrid spicy fish egg dip, common at parties, or slapped his girlfriends arse and shouted "Yeah baby!" which is less common) remember that logic and "talking" things out will not work here, he's tanked up on alcohol and wants to break your kneecaps. Get the first punch in, a swift jab to the nose following by few kidney punches should wind him a bit, kick down hard just above his knee to send the motherfucker down and then give him a few toe enders in the ribs. Just for good measure, stand across his face and walk off into the sunset for a perfect exit.

2. There has been a fight beween a few girls -

Cat Fights are one of Gods greatest spectacles to witness. If one of the girls fighting is someone you have a crush on or think you just might get lucky with once the rohypnol kicks in, be sure to step in and break up the fight by dragging her to one side, to help your chances of being a white knight, agree 100% with whatever she says.

If she's the 18st gargoyle who was lurking beside the buffet all night, then remember "Nobody likes a party pooper" and don't try to be a hero, let the young ladies fight. If there is a hose nearby, spray them both for the enjoyment of all the other men, this will give you serious man points.

3. Someone always cries at a party (ALWAYS!!!) -

Ever since the birth of Jesus, someone has ALWAYS cried at EVERY party that has occured, EVER!!!

It tends to occur near the end of the night when emotions are running high and alcohol is running low. Perhaps the person in question has just received some bad news, or caught their partner kissing someone else, or just maybe they're attention seeking - nobody knows.....

Unless it's someone you care about, generally ignore them and continue dancing to Ricky Martin whilst wearing a lamp shade over your head.

4. People get laid -

You've gotten lucky, you've managed to secure yourself a nice bit of cock / pussy / both (not sure of your sexual preference, no offence ;) ). Naturally, doing the dirty in the hosts parents bedroom is a big no no (though if you do manage it, you are hardest of the hardcore) and also screwing the hosts sister is not advisable (especially if shes only 10) or brother / parents for that matter, but *anyone else is fair game.

*No Animals

At this point you would either leave the party and go back to your / hers / his place, or find somewhere in the house to engage in seuxal intercourse. Bathroom is always good, for the more voyeuristic couple the Kitchen or Garden is a winner.

5. Cops raid the joint -

Consider yourself winner on the party scene! Just hide all the cocaine up your anus and break out ASAP.

haha true!

If its a house party and youve bought your own drink, its not a good look to be carrying a crate around with you all night, plus people will keep trying to scrounge one of you. Its usually best to stash it somewhere. I advise hiding it in the washing machine, nobody ever checks the washing machine.

As the party starts to die down, it kinda turns into a market place, people will be dropping their standerds. Its in these last few hours where you can really grab a bargain and pull a hot drunk girl, or maybe even 2 half hot girls.

good luck, let us know how it went

i dont think raving youths are into wine....

I disagree! I myself am a raving youth, and I do love me a nice red wine :drool:

That just means you are classier than me. I dont doubt your raveability.

i dont think raving youths are into wine....

I disagree! I myself am a raving youth, and I do love me a nice red wine :drool:

One step ahead of me :D

Agreed: just have fun. People go to parties with the intent to have fun a socialize. There will be people having deep, meaningful conversations, there will be people hitting the bottles hard, there will be people there just looking to meet other new people. Just try to let loose, try to be yourself, and socialize.

You say that you already know a few of the people, so start with them. Go say hi, ask how they've been, introduce yourself to whoever they are standing with, get their names, maybe converse for a while and get to know them a little bit if they seem interesting. Now you know more people at the party! Make your rounds and try to talk to as many people as you can, about anything that comes to mind. If you find yourself standing there alone or not talking to anyone, go find one of your new friends and start the introduction process over with whoever they are standing with. Talk easy and don't try too hard, chances are, many of them will be drinking, and people are particularly easy to connect with when they have a few drinks in them, and people will be more inclined to talk to you if they feel that you are on the same inebriated wavelength.

Carry a drink in hand always, even if it's just a cup of water (tell em it's vodka!) or a regular coke (rum n' coke!). This will also give you a prop to focus on if you feel a conversation is going awkwardly or something (ex. scenario: someone has said something awkward or there is an uncomfortable silence. Maybe someone is looking at you expectantly to say something, but your mind comes up blank. You look expectantly at your drink, take a swig, and wander away, saying something about how your coke needs more rum). If you are drinking alcohol, have a drink or two to help loosen you up, but DO NOT get completely trashed, you do not want to get belligerently drunk and do something you might regret later, nor do you want to pass out at a party with anyone you don't know. You do not want to be "That Guy."

Take it slow, be yourself and just be friendly. Don't worry about if you're doing this party thing "right," because there's just no right way to do it. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

This is really good information. Thanks everyone. It's going to be a house party. I think I will bring wine instead of beer though, I prefer it. I really hope there aren't any fights or anything that'll cause the cops to come. Too much excitement in one day. I'm definitely not going to get trashed; a roommate convinced me to drink quite a bit once, and while I didn't do anything regrettable, the next morning was hell.

I'll soon find out how this goes...

Well, it went pretty well. I had fun. People were acting a lot more friendly than I expected and I talked to a few new people, so that was good. Thank you all for your tips, I think it helped a lot in reducing my anxiousness which helped me enjoy it much more.

How old are you?

This'll sound stupid and old, but always arrive late to the party. Quite late too.

If you have self conscious problems, the last thing you want is to arrive when hardly anybody has turned up and your sat around making awkward conversation. You want to arrive late and when you come through be a fun, happy and confident person and nobody will notice your skin. Just say hello to everyone, smile a lot, have a few beers and scope out a pretty girl or two :)

As to conversation, just keep it light or talk with enthusiasm about something that everyone will jump on with, as i say i'm not sure how old you are but like 'hey did anyone see the game last night' or 'have you seen such and such'. Just speak with enthusiasm in your tone of voice, be happy and confident.

Well, it went pretty well. I had fun. People were acting a lot more friendly than I expected and I talked to a few new people, so that was good. Thank you all for your tips, I think it helped a lot in reducing my anxiousness which helped me enjoy it much more.

I'm so glad you had fun! :) Now you're ready to experience the next party with even less anxiety. Still remember that getting raving drunk only gets you talked about and not necessarily anything good. :D And you pay for it the next day. One or two drinks is just fine and then take the hints of always carrying some kind of beverage even if it is just a soda.

There were some great suggestions in this thread; normally this type of thread goes in the off-topic forum but in this case it will likely help other persons who have anxiety about parties due to many issues, including acne.

I'm so glad you had fun! :) Now you're ready to experience the next party with even less anxiety. Still remember that getting raving drunk only gets you talked about and not necessarily anything good. :D And you pay for it the next day. One or two drinks is just fine and then take the hints of always carrying some kind of beverage even if it is just a soda.

There were some great suggestions in this thread; normally this type of thread goes in the off-topic forum but in this case it will likely help other persons who have anxiety about parties due to many issues, including acne.

Im still paying for it 2 years after :boohoo:

I should have read through the rest of the thread and realised the party had been and gone lol.

Bring alcohol, enough to satisfy your needs and a little extra for anyone else to have, will earn you some brownie points and you'll probably be offered more alcohol later.

Greet everyone you see, doesn't have to anything huge, just say "Hey how's it going?" if you're left alone with someone you don't know, don't worry about what your skin looks like, if you don't care then no one else will.

Once the party has been going for a while, it generally veers off into several different directions, here are some of the things that usually happens at parties (least the ones I go to) and some advice for you incase it happens.

Unless one of the guys fighting is you, or one of your friends, it's best not to get involved. Just grab a beer and chant "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!" with everyone else for encouragement, and perhaps shout "FINISH HIM!" or "SONIC BOOM!" for your own personal enjoyment.

If you happen to be in a fight for some reason (perhaps you've mixed the caviar in with the salsa to create some revolting hybrid spicy fish egg dip, common at parties, or slapped his girlfriends arse and shouted "Yeah baby!" which is less common) remember that logic and "talking" things out will not work here, he's tanked up on alcohol and wants to break your kneecaps. Get the first punch in, a swift jab to the nose following by few kidney punches should wind him a bit, kick down hard just above his knee to send the motherfucker down and then give him a few toe enders in the ribs. Just for good measure, stand across his face and walk off into the sunset for a perfect exit.

Cat Fights are one of Gods greatest spectacles to witness. If one of the girls fighting is someone you have a crush on or think you just might get lucky with once the rohypnol kicks in, be sure to step in and break up the fight by dragging her to one side, to help your chances of being a white knight, agree 100% with whatever she says.

If she's the 18st gargoyle who was lurking beside the buffet all night, then remember "Nobody likes a party pooper" and don't try to be a hero, let the young ladies fight. If there is a hose nearby, spray them both for the enjoyment of all the other men, this will give you serious man points.

Ever since the birth of Jesus, someone has ALWAYS cried at EVERY party that has occured, EVER!!!

It tends to occur near the end of the night when emotions are running high and alcohol is running low. Perhaps the person in question has just received some bad news, or caught their partner kissing someone else, or just maybe they're attention seeking - nobody knows.....

Unless it's someone you care about, generally ignore them and continue dancing to Ricky Martin whilst wearing a lamp shade over your head.

4. People get laid -

You've gotten lucky, you've managed to secure yourself a nice bit of cock / pussy / both (not sure of your sexual preference, no offence ;) ). Naturally, doing the dirty in the hosts parents bedroom is a big no no (though if you do manage it, you are hardest of the hardcore) and also screwing the hosts sister is not advisable (especially if shes only 10) or brother / parents for that matter, but *anyone else is fair game.

*No Animals

At this point you would either leave the party and go back to your / hers / his place, or find somewhere in the house to engage in seuxal intercourse. Bathroom is always good, for the more voyeuristic couple the Kitchen or Garden is a winner.

5. Cops raid the joint -

Consider yourself winner on the party scene! Just hide all the cocaine up your anus and break out ASAP.

hahaha greattt advice!

act confident and act like you're chilled out & having a good time- even if you are none of these things...and i'm sure everyone will love you.

Just take a bottle of whatever you want to drink, get crunk have a good ass time.......If you dont really know that many ppl at the prty go with someone thats going to that prty and tell them you want to meet some new ppl they will prob introduce you to a bunch of ppl.....

4. People get laid -

*No Animals

5. Cops raid the joint -

Funniest post I have seen in a long time

you must be party guru!