Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aroused Guy

Does CVS carry brand name acne drugs?

Every time I get acne meds (from benzoyl peroxide, tretinoin, to accutane), I get generic brands. My doctor wanted me specifically on the Accutane brand, but the first time I filled it up I received Sotret. The next time I received Clavaris. I already picked up my isotretinoin, just to find out back home that it's made from Barr Labs.

Do I call my doctor or the CVS pharmacy?

hey yea...you have to call the pharmacy or tell the pharmacist like a week in advance bc they have to order it. alot of pharmacies only carry the generic brand bc its inexpensive. like when i picked up my accutane they gave me sotret. and i was like what the heck. so i called and talked to the pharmacist and he said i had to have the doctor write specifically on the script that he wants u to have the brand name accutane.

Holy crap. I talked to the pharmacist about getting Accutane. He said it would cost $350 with insurance...w/o insurance it would have been $1,400. I called my insurance provider, and they said that the doctor had to specify that the brand should be Accutane with no substitutions allowed in order to pay the price of $10. Now I have to wait for my doctors approval (which is pretty good since she says she hates generic Isotretinoin), and wait for the drug to be ordered. I have a 5 day supply of Sotret left, think this is enough to last me until I pick up Accutane?

wait! So your derm said generic is bad?? That's what I thought but the pharmacist told me there was no difference. I did my first 2 months of brand name which cost around $1000 a month and then switched to claravis. Do you think I should go back to brand name?

I'm not sure. She said she doesn't like generics.

If I had to pay $1400 for the brand name, I would not. Even if it was $300, which it would be if I did not call my insurance provider. I'm pretty sure generics work similar to the brand name stuff.

Sotret is fine. Every Derm is going to have their opinions. Mine for instance doesn't like Claravis for some reason. She does like Sotret which is what I've been on for over 3 months.