Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swamp

Retin-A and BenzaClin

Hello, I am new here and this last week I started using Retin-A and BenzaClin (a mix of benzoyl peroxide and a topical antibiotic). I would like to be able to use this webpage/board as a resource, as well as a log for my improvement.

In this first week, my skin is drying out like mad. I imagine due to the Retin-A. My face is extremely flaky in the mornings and I end up gently buffing with a damp towel. I must say though, my acne has already started to improve. I don't have it terrible, but I have a lot of little breakouts on my forehead, chin, and temples, that give me a very uneven texture. As of today, my skin is very smooth, but I have a lot of redness and redmarks. Then since I am still flaking, makeup to cover the redness is out of the question. :)

I am hoping to be brave enough to start a gallery so I can watch the progress too. I am happy so far. Hoping for the best.

Hello, I am new here and this last week I started using Retin-A and BenzaClin (a mix of benzoyl peroxide and a topical antibiotic). I would like to be able to use this webpage/board as a resource, as well as a log for my improvement.

In this first week, my skin is drying out like mad. I imagine due to the Retin-A. My face is extremely flaky in the mornings and I end up gently buffing with a damp towel. I must say though, my acne has already started to improve. I don't have it terrible, but I have a lot of little breakouts on my forehead, chin, and temples, that give me a very uneven texture. As of today, my skin is very smooth, but I have a lot of redness and redmarks. Then since I am still flaking, makeup to cover the redness is out of the question. :)

I am hoping to be brave enough to start a gallery so I can watch the progress too. I am happy so far. Hoping for the best.

Good luck! Try an alcohol free toner (neutrogena blue bottle) to get rid of the flakiness and a gentle moisturizer that wont burn your face too much. I remember my initial month. :think:

I am starting my second week of Retin A at .025%. My face is still very sore most mornings. I have yet to find a moisturizer that doesn't burn. I found it isn't the medication that hurts, but the moisturizer. I have tried Eucerin and Cetaphil, both with not good results.

Last night I put a little bit of moisturizer on after my shower, and about 45 minutes later I applied the Retin A. This morning my skin was practically glowing. It was still a bit flaky, but after my shower I didn't put on anything. This afternoon my face looks better than it has in a long time. I am supposed to be using the Benzaclin the the morning, but I think I will only do that a few times a week to prevent more irritation.

So far so good. I am not sure if I should expect the dreaded initial breakout or not. I don't have any new blemishes forming. However, I am very surprised at the fast results.

Going in to my second month on the treatment. My cheeks are breaking out, as well as my jaw line. My skin doesn't burn anymore, but I am still very flaky and super super super oily. I go through a pack of oi blotters a week. I am not sure what is causing it. My skin is generally oily, yes, but this is just ridiculous.

My forehead is also breaking out a bit again, and lots of redness. Perhaps this is the "initial break out"? My derm said to give it time, about 3 months. I hope I start to see improvement again soon. I am trying to stay positive, but I am dreading another failed product. And my acne isn't "bad enough" for accutane again. If anyone reads this who has had good and long term success with retin a, please let me know. Hope would be much appreciated. :D

I'm on my third month of using Retin A Tretinion,And seriously i broke out like crazy the first two months but now on my third and its all calm down i barely get little break outs and thats cool.But i do have red marks but they fade as well... I think its a great product just TAKES TIME!

I'm on my third month of using Retin A Tretinion,And seriously i broke out like crazy the first two months but now on my third and its all calm down i barely get little break outs and thats cool.But i do have red marks but they fade as well... I think its a great product just TAKES TIME!

Thank you for replying. :) I am being patient, but it is mighty hard. I am glad to hear there may be light at the end of the tunnel though. Hooray!

Last night I started using moisturizer before the applying Retin A again. I had stopped due to the crazy oiliness. It seems to have helped a bit to continue it. It's so nice not to have my face feel like it is on fire anymore now that is has adjusted somewhat to the onslaught of medications. My poor face.

I am also going to try to adjust my diet. I don't eat bad, but I have my days of soda binges and greezy sugary goodness. But mainly I stick to water, fruits, whole grains, some milk (I love it, I can never stop completely), veggies, and meats every now and then on a sandwich. I don't think I am going to do anything drastic and go vegan or anything. I may start drinking green tea, and saying no to sweets more often. Although how it is now, I rarely let myself have anything. Oh Twix, I miss you so.

I suppose I should view my situation right now as progress. I do have a bit of a breakout going on, but it is only a little after a month of Retin A use. And no cysts or anything like that. Just annoying little red things that travel in packs.

I have still been using the Benzaclin, just not as often. Probably about 3 times per week in the morning.

On another random side note, I suppose adding exercise wouldn't hurt. I got a new job about 3 months ago and went from running around frantically in a pet shop to sitting at a computer all day. I am sure a sluggish body doesn't help anything get better. :)

The second month on Retin A is smoothing out nicely. My face is hardly dry and peely at all. Just a bit flaky on my cheeks. Redness has gone down considerably as well. Almost all tiny breakouts on my chin and cheeks are gone. My face hasn't felt this smooth in possibly ever. And my forehead which was my problem area has no active acne AT ALL. It's a miracle.

I still get crazy oily during the day. But thank goodness for blotting paper. I have been drinking tons of water, and eating fruit and nuts for snacks (except on Christmas. I was so bad I don't even want to talk about it.)

I am glad I have stuck with it so far.

My face is so happy today. A bit shiny, but wow. The flakiness on my cheeks is almost gone, redness is hardly there at all anymore (aside from red marks from previous breakout that are fading). I got a few little pimple on my forehead/eyebrow area but I think that is my fault. I have been working with charcoal and conte for art stuff and have a bad habit or brushing my hair out of my face thus smearing myself with dirty fingers. And I don't bother to wash it off for several hours as I will just do it again anyways. But who knows, maybe it is just my skin still cycling through too.

My chin/jawline is almost flawless, as well as my temple area (again, aside from a few red marks). My skin is becoming so smooth that I feel like a vain idiot because I catch myself running a finger across my forehead just because (I know I know, bad to touch my face). It may seem silly, but it has been so long since I have had any smoothness to my face I have to make sure it is real. :D

While I have hardly any pimples anymore, I am just hoping I can improve the overall tone and texture of my skin. Promising results so far and only a little over a month in.

Day 46 (I went back and did the math finally)

Every year while I had acne , my new year's resolution was to have clear skin by the end of the next year. I think this year I may finally be able to do it.

I have started using the Benzaclin every morning, instead of just a few times a week. I have also been using Retin A at least 5 nights a week as well. I am getting flakiness, but not nearly as bad as it was. I don't look like a shedding snake anymore. I am still very surprised at the quick results.

One tiny pimple on my chin, and my forehead is also a bit uneven but no active acne. My cheeks are a bit rough to the touch, but otherwise staying clear.

I don't know if I need to go back to my derm and ask for a higher dosage, if this low dosage is working? Is this something where to results will stop being as effective over time?

Day 50

Today my skin is all flaky again. Totally gross. But the redness is still continuing to fade. Horray!

Temples broke out a bit, 2-3 small spots on either side, but not too bad.

The tip of my nose is dry as well, which has never happened to me before and I can see it while I look at my screen at work and it is distracting. :) In a gross sort of way.

Thanks for keeping this updated. I'm on the exact same thing, except I'm using Retin-A Micro instead of just Retin-A. Benzaclin is something I'm starting to think is amazing. I've used it a total of two times now (last night and this morning). Just from last night I felt like it greatly diminished the size, intensity and pain of a lot of the acne on my face. In just one night! Makes me very hopeful.

Thanks for keeping this updated. I'm on the exact same thing, except I'm using Retin-A Micro instead of just Retin-A. Benzaclin is something I'm starting to think is amazing. I've used it a total of two times now (last night and this morning). Just from last night I felt like it greatly diminished the size, intensity and pain of a lot of the acne on my face. In just one night! Makes me very hopeful.

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I am starting to use the Benzalcin mainly when I take a few days off of Retin A (because my skin gets so flaky) and I find it a great way to treat my acne while allowing my face to "shed" if you will. Helps to prevent anything new from forming. I am glad to hear that you have hope! I am keeping my hope for sure. I was very skeptical at first but patience does really pay off. :) Best of luck to you!

Swamp, I wish you the best. I love retin-a and Benzaclin is such a potently powerful topical. Hopefully it'll kick acne's butt for you. :) The retin-a does take some time to get used to, but after a few months you might just fall head over heels for the stuff too.

Day 56

So I went to San Fransisco for the Mac Expo and we stayed one night (I am a total nerd I know!). And of course I forgot to pack my face wash and treatments. I was all freaked out that I was going to have a huge breakout and be all nasty, but to my surprise, nothing happened. I used crappy hotel soap to wash my face that night and the next morning and didn't apply anything at all (as it was at home). Any other time before Retin A this would have been the biggest mistake ever, but my skin didn't even seem to notice. And granted, it was just one night, but I know some of you know that one night can lead to a quick downhill spiral.

Anyways, this morning ( a few days after the Mac Expo) I got two tiny little pimples of either side of my mouth and one itty bitty one on my upper lip. However they are so small you can't even see them, but I can feel them. And by tiny I mean like, grain of sand tiny so I am tempted to not even count them as anything.

Skin is still greasy as heck. Toss me on the dance floor and hit me with some light and I would be a disco ball.

Flakiness is much better the last few days, which means time to add more Retin A. I wish this whole "shedding" thing would be like a snake, just be normal the whole month or so, then one day go blue, shed, and be done with it. Gross perhaps, but much more efficient.

Swamp, I wish you the best. I love retin-a and Benzaclin is such a potently powerful topical. Hopefully it'll kick acne's butt for you. :) The retin-a does take some time to get used to, but after a few months you might just fall head over heels for the stuff too.

Kind of odd. Retin-A makes my skin a little tight. Nothing bad and I usually don't even moisturize before sleeping because of this. With the Benzaclin, however, my face gets incredibly tight. I let it sit for about 15 mins before moisturizing so I don't m ess it up at all. In those 15 mins, I can't open my mouth much/make any facial expressions or else my skin will start to flake a lot. Once I moisturize, though, all is well. I get the other dryness around my mouth a little but that's it. Not sure why you're flaking so much. What moisturizer?

Kind of odd. Retin-A makes my skin a little tight. Nothing bad and I usually don't even moisturize before sleeping because of this. With the Benzaclin, however, my face gets incredibly tight. I let it sit for about 15 mins before moisturizing so I don't m ess it up at all. In those 15 mins, I can't open my mouth much/make any facial expressions or else my skin will start to flake a lot. Once I moisturize, though, all is well. I get the other dryness around my mouth a little but that's it. Not sure why you're flaking so much. What moisturizer?

I use the Cetaphil moisturizer. I only get flaky if I use Retin A 3-4 days in a row. Generally I break it up and use BenzaClin in between. I am trying to make a solid schedule, but I kind of adjust what I do depending on how my skin reacts. It seems to be working well anyways. :) The Benzaclin doesn't dry me out or make my skin tight at all. The main areas of flakiness are on my cheeks and between my eyebrows (this week that is hehe). My nose had a bout of dryness but seems fine now. Again though, a bit of dry skin for no pimples is fine with me. I am not looking for perfection, just relief ;)

Day 57

Today I have a small but painful pimple on my left cheek. Annoying as heck as it is the only active acne on my face and the urge to pick is driving me nuts. Totally gross to do so as well. :)

Today my skin is ultra oily. I am going to try a toner, I think someone suggested it for flakiness, and see if that will help even my skin out. My friend recommended this powder based stuff made by some expensive makeup company, but it is full of talc and crap I don't want on me. Plus powdery stuff on dry skin = not good.

Oil blotters are great and all, but there has to be some way to control this oily mess. By the end of the day and 5 oil sheets later, I run my hand across my forehead and it comes away shiny. (Forehead is smooth though LOL). I fear that now that my skin is clear I STILL won't be happy because my skin isn't balanced. I know I should be grateful to have such a limited number of breakouts now, but man- the oil! Where does it come from? And this much? Am I facing a shortage in the future? I can only hope.

Try a diff moisturizer? Cetaphil's moisturizer is kind of greasy by nature and leaves my skin slimy and shiny after I apply it. I switched to Lubriderm's and it works pretty well. Nothing in my opinion hydrates as well as Cetaphil, but it comes at a price (oily skin) for me.

Day 60

This morning my forehead decided to break out. Well, not a full blown break out yet, but it is covered in tiny little bumps like it used to be. Chin and cheek area are staying clear though, as well as my jawline so I am not too upset. I am thinking that it may be due to me only using retin a 3-4 times a week, which is the same amount I used when I first started. Time to do it every night maybe? I am just concerned because I get sooo flaky, and yet sooo oily that globbing on tons more moisturizer is not really an option. I have started using a different moisturizer other than cetaphil, but same results. My skin is still super oily. I even went a few days with no moisturizer at all and nothing changed. I never had this much shine before Retin A.

I am going to make my follow up appointment with my derm. I will have good results to share, but I am going to ask them about the oiliness and flakiness. How long does that generally last? I have been using Retin A for 2 months now. But I HAVE seen a good deal of improvement, and a that is better than nothing.

Day 62

My forehead is a bit messy still. Nothing has broken the surface, but it is very uneven, a bit red, and shiny. Also flaky, always flaky. My cheeks and chin are flaky again, but at least no sign of a break out there. I must admit this is getting rather frustrating. Shouldn't my skin have adjusted by now? Especially at such a low dosage? This dry skin is driving my crazy! I can scrub all day and it keeps flaking. You'd think I'd run out of layers.

Day 67

There has been much improvement in the last few days. Not long ago I started a new regime with my products. I alternate treatments at night. Retin A, then Benzaclin, then nothing. Then I repeat. I have given up moisturizer all together since my skin is so oily. Luckily the flakiness is FINALLY becoming more reasonable. My forehead is all better, and my only redness is on my right cheek. This is my worst area when it comes to scarring as well. I believe this is due to a car accident I was in in 2003. The right side of my face got pretty beat up and I had to have surgery, which resulted in a HUGE breakout as this was back before I had gone on accutane. I mean, my whole right cheek was covered in nasty for months due to inflammation, etc etc. Anyways, long story short, that seems to be the only stubborn redness left.

I do have a single pimple under the left side of my jaw, One of those fun painful ones. But already it is shrinking down.

I also have an interview coming up for a permanent position at my job, hopefully my skin will stay clear this week so I can go in with confidence. **fingers crossed**

Day 73

I have some blemishes along my jawline, but I am starting to notice I break out a bit there according to my cycle. Yay for being a girl. So I am not too concerned since the rest of my face is doing great. My forehead is off and on dry. Some days it's perfect, then days like today it is dry and a little flaky.

My temple area is completely clear, and my cheeks are "smoothing out". The redness is going down quite significantly and the overall texture is improving. Nothing dramatic to where I could go do beauty commercials, but I am very happy.

I still haven't scheduled a follow up with my derm. I keep forgetting and I have tons of Retin A and Benzaclin left still. But I suppose I should. My little brother started accutane about a month ago. He has body acne, none on his face at all. His lips are chapped like crazy, but he is doing well. However he has been skipping dosages and that worries me. Will that affect the results of his blood test? He thinks he has "forgotten" to take about 1/3 of his month long supply. He still lives at home (he is 15) so I can't be there to pester him. Worries me.

Day 75

Nothing much has changed. Forehead is no longer flaky, but chin is a little dry. Redness on the right cheek is up tad as well. No complaints. Breakout along my jawline is almost gone. I ordered some facewash samples through Joppa minerals which I hope comes soon. Supposed to help with oiliness. but we all know how that goes LOL.

I am nervous about hearing if I got the job I interviewed for last week. Hopefully the stress doesn't break me out. Gah! Thankfully my skin was very well behaved on my interview day. Thanks Retin A!

hey swamp! hows everything going!

i had a question too about drying and benzaclin. its like after i use it, only my chin and like lower jaw get really dry and peel. i apply olay spf moisturizer and it helps a littel but my skin still feels dry and a little flaky. im just wondering why its only that area