Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everyskyisblue__

even i have stopped picking.

I know that I wrote that "joys of popping zits" post less than a month ago, but since visiting the "Stop Picking On Me" website and gaining a better understanding of my skin I have realized the error of my ways.

I am still not totally "pick-free" but I don't allow myself to pop more than one zit every few days and it has to really, really, REALLY be ready to pop. If the zit doesn't pop with the lightest pressure, I leave it alone.

My skin has looked so, SO much better since I've stopped tearing it apart. The clusters of pimples on my chin are gone and my acne has gone from moderate to mild over the past few weeks.

It was really, really hard for me to admit that my skin could take care of itself. The first few days of not picking my skin were HELL.

I didn't trust my skin to heal on it's own. At first, my face felt immensely dirty if didn't expel all impurities from my skin and I looked reeeeally gross for the first couple of days. However, after those first two or three days, I realized that my skin was looking steadily better every day. It was amazing!

Now I've got loads of redmarks, of course, and I'm really regretting those 5 or 6 years of picking, but at the rate my skin is healing up, I know I'll look fabulous in a few short months.

it depends if youd rather have the little whitehead stickin out or the red mark. ill personally take the redmarks plus poppin them relieves pressure on the pore so you have less chance of permanently enlarged pores and shit like that

I've gotten sooooo much better about not picking over the last couple of years and for me, it's what makes the final difference between my skin looking okay and my skin looking *good*. It's hard, though, really hard sometimes, so I'm so glad that I've got the support here to help!

it depends if youd rather have the little whitehead stickin out or the red mark. ill personally take the redmarks plus poppin them relieves pressure on the pore so you have less chance of permanently enlarged pores and shit like that

See, I thought that was true, too.

I thought that it was much more preferable to have a flat, easily concealable red mark over a whitehead and I thought that I was actually making my skin heal more quickly by getting the gunk out of my pores.

In reality, what stretches your pores out and enlarges them is popping zits.

I know it feels great to do it and it seems like it relieves pressure, but it really just upsets the delicate balance of all your skin's little layers.

Plus, I've noticed this since I've decided to stop picking:

Whenever I do break down and pop a zit that may not be quite ready to come out on it's own, WITHOUT FAIL a new zit pops up in it's place about 3 to 5 days later and it brings along a friend or two. When I don't pick a zit and let it heal on it's own (no matter how gross it looks in the process), zits don't pop up in that same area again.

I thought that it was much more preferable to have a flat, easily concealable red mark over a whitehead and I thought that I was actually making my skin heal more quickly by getting the gunk out of my pores.

I know it feels great to do it and it seems like it relieves pressure, but it really just upsets the delicate balance of all your skin's little layers.

Whenever I do break down and pop a zit that may not be quite ready to come out on it's own, WITHOUT FAIL a new zit pops up in it's place about 3 to 5 days later and it brings along a friend or two. When I don't pick a zit and let it heal on it's own (no matter how gross it looks in the process), zits don't pop up in that same area again.

idk how squeezin a whitehead out is gonna screw your pores unless youre just tearing off chunks of skin as you pop it. if the whitehead is stickin out of the pore its easy to drain if not you need to use a needle and gently create a small release point so you dont tear off chunks of skin. your porbably gettin new zits in the same place after you pop cause youre spreading the bacteria. If its 5 days thats just a new zit. obviously certain areas will always be more prone to acne depending on the individual

idk how squeezin a whitehead out is gonna screw your pores unless youre just tearing off chunks of skin as you pop it. if the whitehead is stickin out of the pore its easy to drain if not you need to use a needle and gently create a small release point so you dont tear off chunks of skin. your porbably gettin new zits in the same place after you pop cause youre spreading the bacteria. If its 5 days thats just a new zit. obviously certain areas will always be more prone to acne depending on the individual

Oh well, if it's physically sticking out of the pore, you shouldn't have to pop it. It should fall off or out on it's own when you wash your face. That's what happens to me when I have a sticky-out whitehead. If it's just white on top, but still down in the pore, it's probably not ready to come out.

Once I start popping zits, I cannot stop.

When I was still picking, once I started working on face, I wouldn't differentiate between whiteheads that were ready to go and ones that weren't quite there. I would just go to town until I felt like all my pores were "empty." Maybe you don't have a problem with compulsive skin-picking and you can perform small extractions without going overboard, but not all of us are so lucky.

Also, maybe you didn't read what I wrote before: When I don't pick a zit and let it heal on it's own (no matter how gross it looks in the process), zits don't pop up in that same area again. All the acne on my chin is gone because I stopped picking at it. You really can't argue with results.

In the areas where I did break down and pick, those new zits popped up because I pushed the gunk further down into my pores. If I had just left them alone to run their course (or at least let them get to a point where they popped without effort), then I wouldn't have these new zits.

Oh well, if it's physically sticking out of the pore, you shouldn't have to pop it. It should fall off or out on it's own when you wash your face. That's what happens to me when I have a sticky-out whitehead. If it's just white on top, but still down in the pore, it's probably not ready to come out.

Once I start popping zits, I cannot stop.

When I was still picking, once I started working on face, I wouldn't differentiate between whiteheads that were ready to go and ones that weren't quite there. I would just go to town until I felt like all my pores were "empty." Maybe you don't have a problem with compulsive skin-picking and you can perform small extractions without going overboard, but not all of us are so lucky.

Also, maybe you didn't read what I wrote before: When I don't pick a zit and let it heal on it's own (no matter how gross it looks in the process), zits don't pop up in that same area again. All the acne on my chin is gone because I stopped picking at it. You really can't argue with results.

In the areas where I did break down and pick, those new zits popped up because I pushed the gunk further down into my pores. If I had just left them alone to run their course (or at least let them get to a point where they popped without effort), then I wouldn't have these new zits.

nah dude i squeeze all of em out. when i had more maderate acne id still do it id even use my nails and shit to pop the inflamed ones. my skin never scarred though i guess thats why i just effed with it whenever i wanted. It takes forever to go away if you dont pop it plus it looks gross as shit

haha I literally just read your "joys of picking thread" skyisblue!! this is so bizarre to see you fully converted in minutes :lol:

but fair play to you if you've beat the habit, I have occasional 'go to town' picking moments on my skin and it never ends well... I still pop a nasty whitehead though, I cant help it they look so nasty on my face!!!

My skin is improving though, so Im picking less because theres less to pick at!!

well done to you though, and hope your skin keeps improving!!!