Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Namaste

My skin is angry with me; can i still wear makeup?

I recently used something that clogged my pores (it was a homemade concoction of green tea, vit a and vit c) and I'm afraid to put makeup over it. Near my mouth and nose there are a lot of tiny clogs and some of them have turned into very small red marks. If I try to avoid the red clogged pores and just use the make up over my acne post marks are the clogs going to get worse? Could Bare Minerals make it worse?

Some people, not all, find Bare Minerals comedogenic. If not comedogenic, it can be irritating.

Bare minerals make me break out worse is the Bismuth Oxychloride in it. I always tell people to avoid bare mineral if you have a metal allergy because it will give you cysts.

I suggest you stick with something non-pore clogging. I personally like Lancome's Teint Idole. I've used it for over a year without a single breakout attributed to it. You can get a sample before buying at the Lancome counter. Stay away from MAC. God, that stuff broke me out like nobody's business. As for drugstore brands, Almay makes a Clear Complexion Makeup and so does Neutrogena. They have SA in them. I think Almay has the least pore cloggingingredients and is scent free which is good for sensitive types.

I personally hate minerals. They makes me look old and dried out. and they do clog my pores rather badly.

Bare Minerals could be negatively affecting my skin?! Holy God. I don't wear it too often and I honestly thought it made my skin kind of ache and break out a bit because I had to use so much and my skin was just that bad. I also believed I looked crappy even with makeup on because my skin had so many marks so I'd have to wear so much. I never associated anything with the Bare Minerals, as I said I don't wear it much and I thought any makeup would have some consequence. Any other foundation/concealer suggestions? I really appreciate this; I don't get out much because I'm so self conscious about my acne marks even with makeup on.

Bismuth oxychloride is the main culprit for breakouts from BM. Apparently, it is a skin irritant.

If you like mineral makeup, there are many options without that ingredient. I personally like everyday minerals. It's pretty popular on this board.

Some people use Aubrey Nicole mineral makeup, and other brands found online. A few minority people have sensitivity to mica, found in most mineral makeup, but the drugstore brand Physicians Formula doesn't have mica and works for them. It's far more likely that bismuth oxychloride is causing your problem, not mica.

So there's a lot of options still if you like mineral makeup.

There's lots of options for traditional liquid makeup also though.

I hate bare minerals. It's funny, I use estee lauder foundation and this other "regular" foundation and those don't break me out but for some reason bare minerals gave me random white small bumps where I used it. I stopped right away.

Well today I went out and got Almay Clear Complexion foundation and I'm very pleased with how simple it was to smooth over my skin as opposed to individually attending to each red mark (i have a lot) with the BM. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works for my skin. It made my skin look better than the BM but my acne marks are still visible. Is there anything I can do to hide my marks better that won't make it feel like I'm wearing a mask? Also, when I was removing the foundation before washing my face I found it a bit difficult to remove. I used a wet paper towel and gently rubbed. Is there a better method?

I use baby wipes to remove my makeup before I wash my face. They come in large quantities and are cheaper than makeup remover!

I frequently forget that simplicity is always key. Thank you so much. I already feel more confident that I'm going to be able to start inching out of my shell very soon since my skin has made so many improvements and I'll be able to properly disguise my red marks without adversely affecting my skin :dance: I'm so joyous my eyes could well up with tears of happiness. I'll go to the dollar store and pick up some wipes tomorrow. I can't thank any of you guys enough for your input!