Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucky girl

What is the normal Bactrim DS dosage?

I am on one tablet in the morning and one at night and I am just wondering what others have been on? Also I read that you can build up s resistance to it. How long do you need to take it for this to happen, or is it if you have taken it on & off over time?

I take it you are using the DS version? The normal dosage is 800mg of sulfamethoxazole and 160mg of trimethoprim every twelve hours. I used it with much success-I would not increase the dosage as I saw you thinking of doing in another thread. Remember this antibiotic is the mother of all AB's a derm will give you for acne. Watch out for rashes and other side effects-report them to your doctor. I've heard of people getting rashes and immediately stopping the drug. I knew of one guy that used it 4 years. He reduced the dosage on his own to one pill a day, then reduced it again to one pill every other day. He did that on his own not by a doctors direction. Good Luck

Hi and thanks. I just looked at my packet and I am taking the normal dosage so that's good. I hve only been taking them for 5 doses and I already feel like my skin is improving. Is this possible??? I have taken them before and they are truly the only antibiotic I have taken for my skin that has worked efficiently however I don't think it worked this quickly last time.

Bactrim completely cleared me up in about 10 to 14 days. I read on another thread that one person was told by his derm not to use bactrim for more then 6 months. I was given bactrim for a year by a "acne researcher professor type"

Is that in case you build up a resistance to it (not using if over six months)? If you don't mind me asking, how bad was your acne when you started Bactrim. Last time I used it I completely stopped breaking out after 7 days I think and my acne was alot worse (more cystic) then. At the moment I just have lots of whiteheads on the surface and one blind pimple so maybe this is whay it seems to be working faster

I'm not sure about building a resistance to the antibiotic. But it will eventually happen-I was thinking the other day, that I probably could of just used the bactrim for two weeks to get rid of the acne-then go X amount of time until it started to return and repeat another two weeks. I believe what happens is we get overly protective about our acne-almost obsessed about it and we throw a lot of over kill "antibiotics" at it. My acne attacks are pretty much restricted to my right cheek, rarely get it anywhere else. I get nailed with a cystic hit "dime size" real charming. Sometimes it goes away quickly, but then again it could cause another one to blow up then I look like some kind of freak for over a month.

Yeah well my doctor told me to take it until I'm over this big breakout (so i guess that means when I completely stop breaking out and my skin has recovered a bit) and then take for a month before my next Fraxel treament to prevent this happeing again. That will only leave a few weeks between that I could stop takin git so I'm not sure whether maybe I should just keep taking it all the way through, hence my question about whether there is a theory to what makes you resistant, a long time on it consistently or lots of short spurts???

I'm starting bactrim today and my derm had prescribed it because both minocycline and doxycycline had absolutely no effect on me. Although in the past I have used minocycline with much success, this time it didn't do anything. How long before did you guys see results? I'm worried this won't work either and any information would be much appreciated! thanks

With Bactrim you should results in one or two weeks, I've been using bactrim for 6 months and it has showed good results, even though I have had some digestive problems occasionally