Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pus-zit

Anyone tried mixing zinc oxide powder to moisturizer?

Hi,

Has anyone tried mixing zinc oxide powder to your favorite moisturizer? Because I found the best moisturizer that perfectly works for my oily skin but it doesn't have any SPF on it. So I'm thinking, instead of buying a different brand already with SPF on it and risking another breakout, why not just add SPF to my moisturizer? :think:

My follow up question is, how much zinc oxide do you mix? I don't want to be looking like the Tin Man when I go out!

Pharmacies and big general stores like Wal-Mart sell zinc oxide ointment on the aisle where you'd find bandaids and astringents. The ingredients are simple and usually limited to white petroleum, wax, and maybe mineral oil.

The same stuff is in diaper rash ointment, except with fragrance and preservatives. (Counterintuitive, don't you think? Shouldn't baby stuff have LESS junk in it, not more? I guess new-baby smell is a big seller or something....)

A thin layer of zinc oxide will act as a moisturizer and maybe a sunscreen. Not sure how the powder works, but I think that in order to get the same coverage as a sunscreen, you'd have to apply it thick, no? At least, I assume that's how the ointment would work--the big thick lifeguard-nose blob.

Although I do love the idea of mixing zinc powder to create your own products. Where are you getting this stuff? Locally, or through the Internet? Sounds like it would be an awesome, awesome mix with emu or jojoba oil.

I use the ointment as a spot-treatment for red marks that are still yucky and un-healed. If they're not there yet, the zinc will dry out the swelling and speed healing along. If they're not inflamed, the zinc seems to speed up the healing under the first layer. When I wipe the zinc off, the top layer of wounded skin (or scab) often goes with it, leaving a healthier--albeit not always entirely healed--layer beneath it.

It makes a HUGE difference and I strongly recommend this treatment to anyone who struggles with healing and red spots.

Thanks for the informative reply! I know someone who supplies zinc oxide to dermatologists here in the Philippines. I'm not sure with other countries but what dermatologists here do is order generic skin meds like erythromycin or zinc oxide sunblock gel and brand it as their own by putting their name on it as a label. :ninja:

Same here. "Try my fabulous new cleanser/ointment/cream/moisturizer/shellac. It's very effective. Only $99.95." Bastards.

Same here. "Try my fabulous new cleanser/ointment/cream/moisturizer/shellac. It's very effective. Only $99.95." Bastards.

Haha! You know exactly how they sell it! And... "You can't find it anywhere else. I'm the only one selling this perfect product for you!" Of course! You labeled it with your name!

Sometimes you'd think are they really trying to solve your acne problem completely but couldn't OR are they just curing you enough for you to come back regularly. :snooty: